New WEN generator question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #41

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Not a fan of generators or doctors but being realistic recognize there are times when they can be useful. Accordingly, have just ordered an Easy Start for the air conditioner.

Something else just came up. I see Hutch Mountain makes a propane conversion kit for the Honda 2000 generators. Wondering if that thing can also be attached to the carburetor of the Wen. A tight fit for sure, but...?

And the beat goes on...
Attached Thumbnails
Prop1.jpg   WenCarbP.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #42

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Supercharge it!
This actually makes me wonder.. those cheap crappy 12V electric superchargers don't have nearly enough power to help an actual car, but they might be enough for a little generator motor. Enough to compensate for altitude, anyways.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:17 AM   #43

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Something else just came up. I see Hutch Mountain makes a propane conversion kit for the Honda 2000 generators. Wondering if that thing can also be attached to the carburetor of the Wen. A tight fit for sure, but...?
Probably not, Myron, unless Wen uses the same carburetor as the Honda. You can call or you might try doing a search for “propane conversion for Wen (model #) generator.” You are likely not to find it because quite frankly there are probably hundreds of Honda generators in use for every single Wen sold. Manufacturing and marketing is aimed at the masses (how many can we sell, is it worth designing and tooling up to produce). There is a reason in addition to its well recognized name that most people will pay $1,000+ for a Honda rather than SOB. And one of the driving factors is availability of parts and accessories (such as propane conversion kits or extended run gasoline tanks).
Many propane conversion kits use a neoprene insert that directs propane directly into the carburetor. They fit into the intake opening, and must have a matching mating surface. That is why a Honda conversion kit may be incompatible. And, if the Wen does not have a gasoline cut off, one would need to be added because you can’t have gasoline finding its way into the carburetor when running on propane.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #44

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The Pulsar for much less than the Honda had the LP or gas option for about $470 so I chose that one. The switchover from LP to Gas actually requires a valve be moved to open the access to the LP input connection.
As to supercharging while I like the added complexity and geek factor the engine might develop more horsepower the electronics in the inverter will still limit the power to the rated amount. That might help in the mountains. however.
Some of the LP conversions are pretty simple and the one on the Pulsar requires that you turn on the LP, let it flow a short while, turn it off and then start and after starting turn the gas back on. However my regulator might just leak a small amount of gas when it should be off and that might be "flooding" the intake.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 PM   #45

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
2300 watt generator

The AC that comes with newer Casitas is 8300 btu. I bought a Harbor Freight Predator 2000, it begrudgingly ran the AC at 2000'.

Sam's Club has the A1 Power 2300w. which looks a lot like the Wen. It runs my AC with no problem, haven't tried it in the mountains yet.

When you first run the AC, turn off the ECO switch so the generator is running full speed. Turn the ECO switch on after the compressor starts. Succeeding starts will be easier.

I also set the fridge to run on propane and set the AC to fan when running the microwave. When we took the motorcycles to Colorado we always changed out the carburetor jets so they would run better.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #46

New Mexico
Registry
Just posted this light summary of my Wen's capabilities on U-Tube. At home, at 6600 feet elevation, with the high altitude jet installed.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #47

New Mexico
Registry
Well, saying I am blown away does not cut it. I dug into my trailer tool bag and pulled out a ground plug for the generator outlet. I had made one several years ago (thank you Jon V.) and totally forgot about it. Plugged into Wen and fired it up. Went into the trailer, all other appliances off.

In the immortal words of Sparky Anderson, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

Thermostat on low. The air conditioner now works! It's alive, alive!

To be certain this was for real, let it keep running. Now, feeling feisty, turned on the fridge. Mistake. Boom crash. Shut it all down, had to wait 15 minutes, then turned ac back on and again, ac working just fine. Let it run, then turned the thermostat up half way for colder cooling. Too much to ask. But, we now know the Wen 2350, with the extra ground plug, will turn on and run the 11,000 btu Dometic Penguin II ac.

I am beyond amazed.
Attached Thumbnails
gengrndP.jpg  
Old 07-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #48

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Now I need to know about the grounding plug for the generator
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #49

New Mexico
Registry
Watch this u-tube demo for the answers needed.
(Note: This long-winded video really takes its time getting to the point.)

Old 07-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #50

New Mexico
Registry
When you're not technically inclined, and I count myself as that, there is still hope. Stubborn curiosity and dogged investigation is a very productive antidote. Stuck sheltering in place is a great incentive but fearless don’t hurt either.

It’s only electricity. You disconnect the power and it can’t kill you. I tackled the installation of the Easy Start gizmo onto my air conditioner.

Could not make heads or tails from the several u-tube videos on the subject. It could be a vocabulary problem, or personal density. Each one I watched, though, got me closer to seeing. It was, however, the instructions that came with the package that really helped me.

For a few days, though, was still in the woods. When this happens I say to myself, “ only four wires to connect, bub, it ain’t brain surgery.” Finally, able to distill the blur of too much information down to five steps. I wrote them down on a separate piece of paper and got the ladder out.

The results are in. Here’s a new link on u-tube. My video ...installing the Easy Start to the Dometic 11,000s Btu air conditioner....

https://youtu.be/I9AmXfKwrjo
Old 07-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #51

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
FWIW, propane has less thermal energy than gasoline so will be worse at altitude. Do what aviators have done for 90 years, put a turbocharger on it.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #52

"When you're not technically inclined, and I count myself as that......"

GOOD JOB MYRON! Glad you were not struck by lightning knocking you off the ladder 😨
Old 07-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #53

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
I am at a state campground in Washington. Lovely place. ONE campsite running a generator. Everyone hates them.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeN View Post
I am at a state campground in Washington. Lovely place. ONE campsite running a generator. Everyone hates them.
What is your point?
Everyone hates free running dogs, noisy children, motorcycles, diesel motorhomes, .... and the list goes on....
Old 07-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #55

Washington
I suppose my point is:
If you choose to run a generator at a campground, everyone is going to hate you. If you are cool with knowing that, fine.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I suppose my point is:
If you choose to run a generator at a campground, everyone is going to hate you. If you are cool with knowing that, fine.

This is true, even if they can only see it, not hear it.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #57

New Mexico
Registry
I wouldn't run my generator at any campground unless it's a dispersed one deep in the woods, far from the haters. I got the thing for that purpose, and, to fund a project that keeps me from going nuts while sheltering in place.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #58

Florida
Quote:
I suppose my point is:
That is an all encompassing statement and hate is a strong word. I would guess that I am encompassed by the group termed as “everyone.” I have been annoyed by the behavior of some people but I would not go so far as to equate annoyance with hate. I am not a fan of generators in camping situations unless the user is isolated from others. However, the small inverter generators are relatively quiet. And frankly, I would rather listen to the drone of a generator than choke on the smoke of some idiot’s smoldering campfire when I would like to sleep with the windows open, endure the light of some nearby camper who thinks his/her campsite should be lit up like a city all night long, or listen to someone blasting “music,” thinking that everyone should hear it.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #59

Washington
CPW-
You might prefer the drone of a generator, most do not.The guy in our campground had a small inverter type, I am sure he thought it was relatively quiet. It was not quiet.
Hate is not too harsh! Driving people away from their own campsite is just not cool. We overheard one family asking if they could move (they could not), and another woman behind them attempted to talk to him, he told her to mind her own business. The ranger said they could do nothing, even though this particular camper was running his generator a lot. He had a Littke Guy trailer. Looked new. About 15 feet.
So much for a nice camp adventure.
We left. Went home.
Just because some people have smoky fires, or loud kids, play awful music, does not make generator noise any less annoying.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #60

Florida
Quote:
CPW-
You might prefer the drone of a generator, most do not.The guy in our campground had a small inverter type, I am sure he thought it was relatively quiet. It was not quiet.
Hate is not too harsh! Driving people away from their own campsite is just not cool. We overheard one family asking if they could move (they could not), and another woman behind them attempted to talk to him, he told her to mind her own business. The ranger said they could do nothing, even though this particular camper was running his generator a lot. He had a Littke Guy trailer. Looked new. About 15 feet.
So much for a nice camp adventure.
We left. Went home.
Just because some people have smoky fires, or loud kids, play awful music, does not make generator noise any less annoying.
Renee, Sorry, but yes, hate is too strong a word, and there you go again assuming that you know what others think (“MOST do not”). Hate is a word that is used when someone murders a loved one, not when someone spoils your plans to have a good time. If people asked to move and were told they could not, then it would seem the campground management allowed use of generators (“nothing they could do”). And it would appear you do not know why he was running the generator in the first place. Medical problem? In all the years I have been camping, and they are many, I have never “been “driven away from a campsite.” Maybe you need to choose your camping areas better, perhaps those with hookups. I do not recall anyone running a generator when power was available. You mention a “looked new Little Guy Trailer.”. With COVID-19, RV sales are way up with many newbies who have no clue about camping etiquette. I suspect you will be doing a lot of hating if you are incapable of dealing with what you perceive as inconsiderate camping neighbors. And attacking me for stating that the drone of a generator is not the worst annoyance you may encounter when camping leads me to believe that you seemingly think your wants and desires trump all of those around you. I get it, you had a bad time because someone was running a generator; I’m sorry you are unhappy. But you need to deal with it. Some people do annoying or inconsiderate things.

Tags
generator