Newbie adding a house battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 03:27 PM   #1

Name: Spencer
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Newbie adding a house battery

Hey all,

I have a 78' Trillium 4500 with the factory power converter and I want to add a battery to the system. I am not sure if it has ever had a battery in the trailer or not...there is currently no hook up for one.

I know the factory converter has an option to run 120 or on battery. The load on it will be very minimal. Basically only lights at night (LED) and the odd USB charging task. The trailer has the factory gravity furnace, 3 way fridge and stove top so I assume there will be little to no power draw from the appliances since they will be on propane most of the time.

Is it as easy as wiring in a battery off of the tow vehicle like in the 1300 wiring diagram? Will it charge if I am plugged in to shore power or only from the T.V?

Any insights would be helpful. I have spent the last few days searching the forums and I can't find a straight answer. I would like to keep things as original as possible in the trailer (keeping the factory converter).
Svenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #2

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Battery

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery box.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	144717
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Svenny,

(1) The Trillium 4500 original converter has a simple ac to dc transformer in it, so it is not designed to charge the battery. You can charge the battery with a battery charger when shore power is available, and/or with a solar panel, and/or with a tow vehicle charging wire.

(2) The Trillium wiring diagram is similar to the old Boler and Scamp wiring diagrams and same wire colors. See the basic wiring diagram in post number 11 in this thread:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ent-83543.html
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
fyi, in my Trillium 4500, I installed an agm battery under the rear driver's side bench. I replaced the original converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD 5000 distribution panel and a built in smart charger. Could have installed a deck mount converter-charger instead of a smart charger.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery