Newbie Needs Opinions on a Possible Trailer Purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 83 Scamp 13 ft
Unhappy

Hello All,

I'm new here and new to fiber-glass trailers and I need some advice. I was looking for a 13' Scamp to purchase and found one online in New Hampshire, which is about 5 hours away from my home. Here's the Ad I found:
"Scamp 13 foot fiberglass camping trailer. 1988 model.
Very good condition.
Refrigerator,new stove, new table, new LED running lights,
new interior lights, 40amp battery charger,
new high capacity battery, up to date Propane tank,
new tongue jack, new roof vent hatch."
I've seen photo's and it looks very clean an in good shape. The seller will take $3,000.00
It seems like a good deal but how realistic is it to buy a trailer like this without seeing it in person? Could I hope to just show up with cash and hitch it up and tow it home?

What do you Egg-strodinary campers think?

Thanks In Advance
UncleJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
$3k for a Scamp that's nearby you is a deal. Just recognize that there could be issues on an '88. Check the floor for rot. Potentially the axle could need to be replaced. If the floor is sound, the appliances all work, and the upholstery is useable, it's a deal. Even if it needs an axle transplant, it's a deal. Recognize that a fridge will be around $400, a roof A/C unit around $600 (less, of course, if it's a 120v window model). Past that, there's not too much to go wrong that's not fairly easily repaired. Note: FAIRLY easy...

I've bought two FG trailers sight unseen and two more from photos. For $3k, you can't go too far wrong if the folks who are selling it are honest.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
I drove from 5hrs. from Southern New Jersey to Conneticut to purchase a 87 13' Scamp that i had seen on this site. Through pictures and phone calls it seemed to be just what i had been looking for. I paid $3200. and i am quite happy that i made the trip. Just be sure that the connector will mate to your tow vehicle.

Quote:
Hello All,

I'm new here and new to fiber-glass trailers and I need some advice. I was looking for a 13' Scamp to purchase and found one online in New Hampshire, which is about 5 hours away from my home. Here's the Ad I found:
Very good condition.
I've seen photo's and it looks very clean an in good shape. The seller will take $3,000.00
It seems like a good deal but how realistic is it to buy a trailer like this without seeing it in person? Could I hope to just show up with cash and hitch it up and tow it home?

Thanks In Advance
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Just be sure that the connector will mate to your tow vehicle.
You can't ask too many questions, hitch height (incase you need a different stinger), ball size (more than likly 1 7/8, but???) and how many pin on the electrical connector (probably four, since I doubt it has brakes). But you don't know unless you ask.

Buying a fiberglassRV is a bit of an adventure. How many have you found for sale locally, or in this case, fairly close by? If it were me (and it's not), I'd be on the road right now.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Hello All,
I'm new here and new to fiber-glass trailers and I need some advice. I was looking for a 13' Scamp to purchase and found one online in New Hampshire, which is about 5 hours away from my home. The seller will take $3,000.00

Thanks In Advance
That is almost exactly what Sandy and I had to do when we purchased our 99 Scamp in the Washington DC area which is about a 6-7 hour drive for us. I told the owner (1) we wanted the Scamp and (2) earnest money would be in the mail the next day to hold it for us. As it turned out, she refused the earnest money and just wanted to be sure the Scamp would be out of her driveway within a week or so. We picked it up the following week and as soon as I could get proper wiring and brake controller installed on our Durango. We now have a 99 Scamp with about everything the factory offered as extras and appears to have been used perhaps 2-3 seasons of it's total age. Love it!
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Hello All,

Very good condition.

Thanks In Advance

Sounds good my only question is why is everything new on a 17 year old trailer?
bdiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Sounds good my only question is why is everything new on a 17 year old trailer?
Quote:
Refrigerator,[b]new stove, new table, new LED running lights,
[b]new high capacity battery, up to date Propane tank,
Just my speculation:
The way I read this, the Refrigerator and Battery Charger are not necessarily new, but mentioned to indicate that the seller is highlighting options that may not be "standard equipment."

After 17 years of use, a highly visable stove may not be in "pristine" appearance condition. A 17 year old roof vent hatch has a high probability of being a source of leaks...

I can find logical explanations for each item mentioned to be a comfort factor for a prospective buyer... and at a reasonable price point for a rapid sale.

Looks like the seller is doing the right stuff for the "Wheel Estate" market.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
These units sell fast; better be ready to buy immediately, cash in hand. We've read too many tales of woe about folks arriving at the seller's, only to find the trailer already sold. Before going on what could be a 5 hour wild goose chase, I would call the seller and ask all necessary questions (including hitch size and height and electrical hookup, plus "is it really a refrigerator, or just an ice box?").

I would also ask for a commitment: "I will have to drive 5 hours to see the Scamp; will you promise to hold it for me for 24 hours (or whatever) if I promise, assuming it is as advertised, to pay your full asking price?"
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jack you are soooo right! I made two separate trips to Seattle in hopes of purchasing a trailer. One time actually saw the tail lights disappearing around the corner as I pulled up to the seller's home. The second time, it sold 30 minutes before I could get there. What a couple of wasted trips And, if I would have only had a cell phone!!!!!!!!! In both cases, the sellers tried to call me, but of course I was already on the road, so no one answered the phone at my house. For them, it was a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush kind of thing. People showed up with $$ and they beat me to it.

I've since learned how to negotiate these fiberglass wonders and getting a commitment from the seller before I make the trip would be priority number one.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
When I bought my UHaul, the seller was a good 5 hours' drive from me. I phoned and said, "I will pay you your full asking price, no negotiating, if the UHaul is as advertised and you will agree to hold it for me until I get there tomorrow afternoon." The seller agreed, the UHaul was just as described, it was a fair price, and Barb and I have put 20,000 delightful miles on Un Oeuf in the following two years. That seller, BTW, was FGRV's own Roger H.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:05 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler
Send a message via ICQ to Jollean Send a message via MSN to Jollean
We bought our Boler without seeing it in person. But we did have the advantage of getting to see Digital Pictures, it doesn't hurt to ask if they have any. It depends too on how bad u want it. We would have lived with anything just about. It did have a few unexpected issues that we could have used to bargain with but in the end I wanted it too bad to care. So if you don't see them often and can live with just about anything...go for it!
Jollean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I drove from central Wisconsin to Harpers Ferry, WV to purchase a Love Bug that was a wreck. (That was 1000 miles each way but I love a good road trip.) I knew what I was buying because the seller (member-Jamie Auch) e-mailed me photos and good descriptions. Jamie had second thoughts as I was hooking up I think. I totally rebuilt the Love Bug and have had a great time using it. If I could have found a Scamp only 5 hours from home in good shape for $3k, I would have been pulling out of the driveway in less time than it takes to fire up the computer.
Enjoy whatever you buy, hopefully FG but the choice is yours. If you do buy an EGG, get accustomed to being the center of attraction at the campgrounds. Alot of people will stop and want to look at it. At least it gives me motivation to keep the Bug clean.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote