Newbie Owners Know Nuthin'! Any suggestions? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 12:00 AM   #21

Name: Diana
Trailer: Scamp
California
Bob T - thanks for your thoughts on the heater. I was already nervous about the heater noise then heard one turned on in a YouTube video - it was *loud*. We'll look into your suggestions & hopefully find an easy fix. I have a fear of small portable heaters because in my early 20's I woke up with the edge of my comforter on fire (I'd tossed it far off the bed in the night - eek)! Here's hoping this has a "cleaned the fan & now it's quiet" solution! Thanks for the help!

CARMills, glad you got a nice upgrade. We researched this well before buying & our Outback is definitely suitable to tow our Scamp. The Scamp factory guys said many people tow with them. I found a great real-world weight list on another forum here & the heaviest fully loaded 16' Scamp was slightly over 2600 lbs. The Outback is rated for 35000 so we have plenty of wiggle room. And we plan to pack super light! But I do hear your worry & add to my own "We must do this safely!" mantra. So we'll be sure to weight the tongue & we'll definitely add a sway bar if needed. Thanks for your thoughts!
Diana Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Glad to hear about your Outback. I was still wondering. The 3500# rating tells me you are one of the first in this group to try out the new 2.4T Outback with a 16’er. Should be a nice combination.

Returning to the furnace... Many people do find the blower noisy (even when it’s working correctly). In our 13’er it’s literally inches from the bed. I believe it’s farther from the bed in the 16’er.

I grew up between the Penn Central (Amtrak) and Baltimore & Ohio (freight) railroads, with intermittent train noises all night long. It takes a while to adjust, but the brain will adapt and tune out familiar noises. Give it a few nights.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #23

California
Jon in AZ: I love that you grew up listening to the trains go by - sounds like a description from a "Young American boy" novel.

Alas, we don't have the newer 2.4T. My older brain that blipped when I wrote last night (thinking about our hitch's 3,500 lb tow capacity instead of the Outback's). Let me correct our "2012 Subaru Outback 2.5L AWD tow capacity" for the record here - in case someone reads this in the future:

-tow capacity: 2,700 (sometimes listed as "2,700 to 3,000 lbs.")
-tongue weight between 270 and 300 lbs.

So, less wiggle room but still under the max "real world weight" by a bit. We'll pack light, drive extra carefully & hope all goes well. We definitely don't expect the Outback to be zooming up mountains with a 16' Scamp in tow. But a leisurely pace suits us!

Thanks again for your thoughts, Jon. Super helpful!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #24

Arizona
Registry
Not so good. Check your owner’s manual- I believe you have a tongue weight rating of 200#, which will be impossible to achieve, since tongue weight should be 10-12% of total trailer weight. Too light on the tongue and the trailer will sway at highway speeds, which is very dangerous.

Exceeding the tongue weight rating by a little won’t cause the sky to fall as long as you don’t carry much the the back of the vehicle, but you are going to be dancing around your rear axle weight limit. You may experience accelerated wear on rear suspension and drivetrain components. You would do well to weigh your loaded trailer before your first outing. A Sherline scale will make it easier to check your tongue weight, although a sturdy bathroom scale can also work if you’re careful.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Woodland View Post
I was already nervous about the heater noise then heard one turned on in a YouTube video - it was *loud*.

How loud it sounded on the video would depend upon how close the mic was to the source.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #26

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
RV fridges are pricey little buggers, and replacing a perfectly good fridge to gain a tiny freezer seems like a lot of money for a little gain. But don’t they make small chest-type, 12V units that can be set to function as a fridge or a freezer? Don’t know much about them, but that might be a better way to get a freezer. You’d have to assess theIr power use and your battery/recharging capacity.

The ARB is a great 12 volt / 115 Volt "cooler style" Fridge / Freezer. But! Costs a lot of money.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:29 AM   #27

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
3) Heater: The previous owners say the original heater is so noisy they never use it. We would like to have a heater. What's worked for you?

Welll how noisy is it? Since it sounds like you have not yet got it, you probably don't know. OK there are some problems which can make them noisier, but they also are also in a small area. Your home furnance is also is kind of noisy. But it is noisy in the room/closet it is in. You hear very little of this in your house. Will with an RV the "furnace room" is the same room you are in. So you will hear more noise than in a house.

For me that has never really been a problem. I use the furnace and it does a great job. Have camped in 0F weather and it worked fine. Now I need to find a way to warm the propane bottles a bit for that. But it does work. So you might just give it a try, and might have someone who knows what they are supposed to sound like give it a listen.

OK at first mine didn't work. A friend who is an heating and air conditioning guy had me park it at his shop for a week so he could work on it in his "spare time". He pulled it and then cleaned it out. Apparently very full of bugs and mud dobber nests. After that it has done great. Cost me $60.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #28

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.P View Post
The ARB is a great 12 volt / 115 Volt "cooler style" Fridge / Freezer. But! Costs a lot of money.
What’s “a lot of money”? The OP was proposing replacing a functioning RV fridge with a new one that has a freezer. Rough guess, $1000-1500 with installation, depending on size and whether any cabinet mods are required. Surely a small 12V/115V chest freezer is less than that.

But ARB is a premium brand, so perhaps that’s what you meant... Sometimes it does pay to buy a quality unit. I’d be interested in your reasons for choosing ARB over the others.

I’m actually surprised the Scamp doesn’t have a freezer. Most deluxe 16’ Scamps have the larger 4.0CF fridge, which I believe has a smallish freezer compartment inside the fridge. If this unit has the tiny 1.9CF fridge, there‘s not much space to work with anyway, so a separate freezer unit makes sense.

I’m looking forward to the OP’s report when they get the trailer home.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
A biggie... I hope your Outback is a 2020 or newer. 2019 and older Outbacks are saddled with a low 200# tongue weight limit (see the towing section of your owner's manual for details). A properly loaded and balanced Scamp 16 will carry between 250-300# on the hitch. Tongue weight must be at least 10% of total trailer weight or you risk dangerous sway.

To estimate your actual loaded hitch height, put 275# of weight as close to the back of the vehicle as you can, plus whatever else you will have in the vehicle (including yourselves), park on a level surface, and measure from the ground to the inside top of the square receiver tube. Subtract that from 21" and that's about how much rise you'll need. Go a little less if you can't locate the exact rise. Slightly nose down is okay.

Re the heater. Yes it's noisy. Yes it will use up your battery. When possible we try to use ours only in the evening and morning and just throw an extra blanket on for sleeping. But for those times when you really need it, it does the job, and because it vents combustion byproducts outside, it doesn't come with the safety caveats of unvented catalytic heaters. Earplugs, maybe, if you're noise-sensitive?

Related note... make sure you have safety detectors. My 2008 did not come with any from the factory. Hopefully the previous owner took care of that.
Our 1999 16 ft Scamp Std had a tongue weight of 260 to 275 lbs when loaded for travel and towed well
When we tried to get the tongue weight down by shifting things around , we ended up with noticeable sway
As far as towing with a small compact car , I have made my opinion known in the past and will not repeat myself here.
As far as the furnace goes , I do not find the noise objectionable and if my choice is between a little noise or freezing my A_S off , I’ll take a little noise any day!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Jon in AZ: I love that you grew up listening to the trains go by - sounds like a description from a "Young American boy" novel.
My childhood was not exactly idyllic, but a love of trains was part of it- real ones and model trains. My best friend and I both had N-gauge layouts.

Dad's barber shop was across the street from the Amtrack station in Aberdeen. MD. I always went along and stayed in the car to watch the trains. At least one and sometimes two or three passed during the time it took him to get a Saturday haircut. There were two tracks- north and southbound- and a tunnel under the tracks from the station to the platform on the opposite side. What my Dad never knew is that I (and my siblings if they came, too) would sometimes run into the tunnel when the train approached to hear the roar and feel the rumble as it passed overhead. Occasionally a train would stop at the station and we'd get to peep inside.

Fun times!
Old 10-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #31

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;797363]What’s “a lot of money”? The OP was proposing replacing a functioning RV fridge with a new one that has a freezer. Rough guess, $1000-1500 with installation, depending on size and whether any cabinet mods are required. Surely a small 12V/115V chest freezer is less than that.

But ARB is a premium brand, so perhaps that’s what you meant... Sometimes it does pay to buy a quality unit. I’d be interested in your reasons for choosing ARB over the others.

My reason for choosing an ARB!
I have a VW Van, as well as a FB Trailer. When at a VW camp-out. I asked around as to what fridge people were using. Most said ARB a few said Demetic: I bought the ARB. Like it very much. We use it in both the Van and the Trailer. Have 2 100w Solar panels on the roof to keep it charged. One thing we do, that might not suit every one. When we stop for more than one night. We take the fridge out and set it under the awning. Gives us a little more space inside. Cost for the ARB was $1100.00 CDN.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #32

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Youtube videos on coolers and chest fridges and freezers.

https://youtu.be/ija2LmLVZHA

https://youtu.be/6qZkUP0hvPU

https://youtu.be/NPf3kIs60YA

https://youtu.be/HmvTDhGxV3k
Old 11-09-2020, 11:32 PM   #33

California
We didn't disappear - just took our first trip!

Hey, Everyone-

Thanks for the latest info, suggestions, and links! Sorry to take so long to respond. We were off on our first trip within days of purchasing our Scamp (avoiding construction at our place) & camped at a spot with little-to-no reception. So I missed all your helpful thoughts until now.

The drive to pick up our Scamp was nerve-racking! The winds were gusting up to 60 mph. Semi-trucks were swerving. The air & road were full of debris. A tumbleweed took out our car's grill. Ominous! Thankfully, things had quieted by the time we hit the road back & we had absolutely no issues or sway on our first tow - even going over the wind-y Grapevine. Also no issues towing the less-than-10 miles-on-a-2-land-road to our campsite.

We felt a lot more secure after the Scamp factory guys said that many people pull 16' Scamps with Subaru Outbacks without any problem. But to be safe, we've kept the weight extra-low until our appointment to have our hitch set-up professionally assessed. We did buy a sway bar for extra security. But we haven't had *any* issues with sway or difficulty towing (thank goodness).

Our newbie adventures were more of the "I thought *you* put the chucks on!" and "Why is the battery already dead?" and "When you said 'Back-up-to-the-left' I thought you meant right!" variety.

The heater shocked us awake in the middle of the night once but it wasn't nearly as loud as anticipated. We'll definitely use it, if sparingly, 'cus it heated us right up. Steve Dunham is right: much better than the alternative! computerspook: we'll investigate to see if it's clogged with insects - thanks for that hint! We *did* find quite a few black widows in the propane container so we'll be using gloves for that investigation. Eek!

CharlesInGA & Martin.P - thanks SO much for the freezer/fridge suggestions. I'll *definitely* check out your research. It's possible we're using the fridge wrong or it needs a servicing - it barely chilled. Maybe more bug investigation needed there, too. Upgrading seems wise, either way.

Again, thanks to all for the help! Once we get this stuff sorted out, we're going to ask about...solar! 'Til then, wishing you all happy days & happy trails!

Diana & Karl
Old 11-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #34

California
Quote:
My childhood was not exactly idyllic, but a love of trains was part of it- real ones and model trains. My best friend and I both had N-gauge layouts.

Dad's barber shop was across the street from the Amtrack station in Aberdeen. MD. I always went along and stayed in the car to watch the trains. At least one and sometimes two or three passed during the time it took him to get a Saturday haircut. There were two tracks- north and southbound- and a tunnel under the tracks from the station to the platform on the opposite side. What my Dad never knew is that I (and my siblings if they came, too) would sometimes run into the tunnel when the train approached to hear the roar and feel the rumble as it passed overhead. Occasionally a train would stop at the station and we'd get to peep inside.

Fun times!
Jon in AZ: Sorry to hear you didn't have a perfectly idyllic childhood - we all *should* have that! I love that you had N-gauge model trains though. I love all miniature things & dream of having a model train circling the Christmas tree...someday. Your story of running into the tunnel to hear the train rumble overhead is wonderful. I can picture it so easily.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:42 AM   #35

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
The heater shocked us awake in the middle of the night once but it wasn't nearly as loud as anticipated. We'll definitely use it, if sparingly, 'cus it heated us right up. Steve Dunham is right: much better than the alternative! computerspook: we'll investigate to see if it's clogged with insects - thanks for that hint! We *did* find quite a few black widows in the propane container so we'll be using gloves for that investigation. Eek!

Well a lot of clog is where it is about impossible to get to unless you really know what you are doing. I would let a professional take care of that. But they also make a nice screen unit that covers the inlet outlet.

One thing on the frig. It takes a day or so for it to start working. Kind of part of the nature of the absorbing type system.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #36

Name: Joe
Missouri
Jon in AZ.

Related note... make sure you have safety detectors. My 2008 did not come with any from the factory. Hopefully the previous owner took care of that.

You mentioned safety detectors in your reply. What did you mean by that?
jdittrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdittrich View Post
Jon in AZ.

You mentioned safety detectors in your reply. What did you mean by that?
Smoke, CO, and LP detectors.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:14 PM   #38

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Diana,

Where in CA are you? I'm in San Diego and have a 16 footer that I tow with a Highlander. The heaters aren't so much noisy as they cycle on and off constantly and wake me up. so I never run them over night, I just put an extra blanket on the bed when it's cold. I use the heater in the evening and first thing in the morning to warm things up a bit. I also recently purchased a Jackary 500W solar generator and a 500W heater (a tiny little thing) and that is very quiet and does the trick in the small cabin space. I also wished to have a freezer on top of the little fridge, but alas, it is not cost effective for me as I'd have to have it installed and have the cabinetry changed, so looking at $$$ that I'd rather not spend. I am now looking at the 12v fridge/freezers that get good reviews. As for hitching up the camper, just make sure it looks level and the nose or tail isn't tilted downward too much as this will wear on your tires and it won't tow as well (so I've been told).
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:31 AM   #39

California
Jon, the detectors were purchased immediately but I need to research the explosive gas detector install still (we kept our propane off at night except for the one night we forgot & the heater woke us up)! I was surprised that there seem to be no explosive gas detectors that run solely on their own battery power. Seems dangerous to have an alert system for gas which is rigged to a "sparky thang".
Old 11-11-2020, 01:32 AM   #40

California
Thanks, computerspook. My DIY enthusiasm can sometimes get the better of me!