Newbie Scamp Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Name: Connor
Trailer: Scamp
Arkansas
Newbie Scamp Question

I am new to the fiberglass campers. I recently bought a 77 Scamp 13', and I am having trouble figuring out how the battery hookup is supposed to go. I have the 6-pin connector and where the wire goes into the Scamp it says that it could be hooked up to a car or battery. So I am curious how everyone else is hooking up a battery to their Scamp.
I have a 4 pin connection to my car and had a little trouble finding a adapter to go from 6 pin to 4 pin. I did finally find one and none of the trailer lights work on the outside. I am trying to figure out if it is a wire problem or a hook-up problem.
Any help on these issues would be great!
Thanks!
Connor
con57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
That 4 wire connector is only going to provide for your lights; tail, turn, brake and emergency flashers. For a complete hookup, you will have to go to a 7 wire connector, which will allow you to hook up your 12v hot for the trailer, brake controller and if you need, back up lights. If you don't have brakes, you will at least have to run a wire from the battery to the correct pin on the 7 wire. This line should have a circuit breaker in it and be sized properly to reduce voltage drop from the battery to the trailer, say 10 gauge or so.

Of course you will have to wire the trailer for 7 wire as well.

As to the vehicle side, there are some 7 wire connectors which you can plug into the 4 wire connector, simplifying installation.

For more information you can try here:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Have fun.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

Louisiana
Registry
You say you have a 6 pin. Is that including the center pin?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Arkansas
So what if I want to just hook up a battery? How do you hook the battery up to that unit? I'm not concerned with charging the battery with the car. I don't have brakes and am only looking to have brake lights and signal lights.
Yes it's a small round 6 pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Louisiana
Registry
I believe on the Scamp the battery is on the tongue. Is there not a positive and negative cable there to hook up the battery? If there is no battery box, most small trailers use the standard marine battery box, sized for the battery you choose, bolted onto the tongue. Go with a deep cycle battery, as you will get more charging cycles out of it before you have to replace it.

It just occurred to me that the PO may have made it AC only and went only to campgrounds that provided shore power.

As to hooking up the trailer to the the TV, the easiest thing to do is to get rid of that 6 wire connector at the hitch and replace it with a flat 4 wire connector. The wires most likely are color coded per the link I sent you to.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

Arkansas
I might try to just go to the 4 pin. I printed what you sent off and will see if that works.
No positive or negative cables coming from the trailer at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
scamp