Newbie with questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Newbie with questions

Hi all,

Well the 2010 19 standard arrived today!! What a beaut!! It's so cool, we can't wait to take it out!

Had a chance to go through it somewhat today and I have a few questions:

1) Both dinette lights as well as the dinette fan don't work. Went through the DC fuses and pretty well isolated which fuse controls what but I can't figure out what the top fuse in the box, a 20 amp, goes to. I'm thinking the lights and fan and perhaps the fridge (on DC) go to this. But the fuse is not blown so I'm pretty much at a loss on my next move. Anyone who may know the routing of the wires to the lights and fan (what fuse they go to) would be a big help. I also noticed a 4 amp fuse in the fan housing but can't figure how to remove it for inspection.

2) When I plugged in to shore power, the furnace came on (it's 95 degrees here today). It appears the thermostat doesn't work but I'm not sure. I disconnected the two wires which attach to a screw inside the thermostat and that shut it off. Also, pulling the fuse shut it off as well. Not sure on my next move here, if anyone can help..

3) After putting some water in the toilet, about an hour later the bowl was empty. Will I have to replace the seal on the valve, or is this normal? Since I don't see a vent of any kind on the black tank, I'm thinking water in the bowl might be key to - er - keeping odors at bay. Any advice on changing the black seal would be helpful.

4) The camper was winterized. When I ran the water, all of the antifreeze in the sink and shower lines was expelled and I am wondering if there are any valves that I need to open (or close) to de-winterize.

5) Finally, the Scamp does not have a battery. I am assuming when I get one, the positive (fused) wire and the negative wire (under the loft and dangling in the empty battery case) would simply be attached on the positive and negative polls on the battery, just like in a car. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for all your assistance!!
Peter S. in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:34 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Congrats Peter on the new rig. Can't help you as I don't have a Scamp but did want to say that I've had ATC type fuses look good with an eyeball but were blown where I couldn't see it. My meter found it though.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, no battery !----- No lights, no fan, they run on 12v
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
1. Pass
2. Turn Tstat to left detent to turn off. If turned on it will not immediately turn off it has to go through a shutdown cycle. Make sure it is in the detent and try reconnecting.
3. Clean and lube seal first. Info. in dometic inst. manual.
4. If Scamp winterizing inst were followed and the trailer stock. Open the valve goingto the WH under the sink. See Scamp manual.
5. Make sure wires are taped up and dont short out until batt. is inst. See decal for color code. +black -white.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
As to the toilet a recent post indicated that letting the valve snap shut would solve the problem , others replied that this solved the problem , worth a try .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It's my understating that the toilet valve does not necessarily keep water in the bowl. Its function is to keep most of the odor out of the trailer. A cleaning of the mating surfaces might help. You could have some debris stuck in there.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp