Newfoundland - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
Norm
You have indicated that you sent a PM. I have also been instructed by the administrator to PM you directly.... How do I find PMs and how do I srnd one.
Dinosaurus Jimus
To read PMs, look at top right where it says Welcome, Manitoba Jim. Below that is a link you click on, the link says 'private messages'. If one is waiting, it should actually notify you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Expect A LOT of construction on 389 from Fermont QC to Manic V this summer. A significant part of this road is not paved (same for the Trans-Lab Highway as far as I know).
Carl
(Baie-Comeau native, Quebec City resident)
Carl's comment reminded me of my experience. Here goes: I barely made it from Port Hope Simpson to Happy Valley-Goose Bay on one tank*. I knew my towing mileage and was confident about my calculations, but alas, the gas mileage will go down another notch while traveling on the gravel sections of the TLH. It dawned on me later that the rolling resistance must be higher on gravel roads. If I do it again, and I hope I do, I will have a 5 gallon jerry can for that stretch of road. (404 km = 251 miles)

So, I suggest to top off your gas tank whenever you can and watch the gas gauge carefully.

Another useful piece of equipment for this trip is a tire patching kit and the 12 Volt compressor. It saved me a lot of time, money and trouble on that same road.

*) Only after I filled up in Goose Bay, I told my wife that the 82 liter tank took 82.5 liters.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
West Coast and Labrador

In 2008 we made the trip up the west coast of Newfoundland arriving in Port aux Basque, traveled up the west coast crossed Labrador and came down Route 389 crossing at Bae Comeau.

For us it was a two month trip. We're relatively slow travelers and at the time the road Trans Labrador Highway was not paved. Before we left we read all numerous trip reports from others. WE also requested a list of all gas stations on the TLH from the tourist bureau. They provided an east to west list with the gas stations listed in order providing the station and home phone numbers of the owners.

We towed a 16 foot trailer with our Honda CRV, it had a 15 gallon tank. Our rule was to stop at virtually every gas station, there were not that many but enough. Never got close to a fuel issue. WE did carry a generator and had a gallon or so tank for it. We always carry a spare fan belt, tire repair kit, a real spare, a bottle jack and a compressor.

It took us two months, it may take you longer if you plan to do justice to the west coast of Newfoundland. For example it's easy to lose yourself in Gros Morne. (Part of the reason for two months for us was the unpaved road was a slow drive for us.)

I will say you will miss out on the icebergs, an amazing feature of a Newfoundland trip and a reason we always go early in the spring.

I will email you a list of west coast highlights.

I often here people took about insects in NL. WE never see any, maybe because we travel in early spring.

I will dig out notes from our trips and send you a west coast trip plan. FOr us the west coast is a month.

I should have it to you via email this week. Generally these things are too long for PMs.

Of course I'm jealous, missing are almost annual trip this year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Carl's comment reminded me of my experience. Here goes: I barely made it from Port Hope Simpson to Happy Valley-Goose Bay on one tank*. I knew my towing mileage and was confident about my calculations, but alas, the gas mileage will go down another notch while traveling on the gravel sections of the TLH. It dawned on me later that the rolling resistance must be higher on gravel roads. If I do it again, and I hope I do, I will have a 5 gallon jerry can for that stretch of road. (404 km = 251 miles)

So, I suggest to top off your gas tank whenever you can and watch the gas gauge carefully.

Another useful piece of equipment for this trip is a tire patching kit and the 12 Volt compressor. It saved me a lot of time, money and trouble on that same road.

*) Only after I filled up in Goose Bay, I told my wife that the 82 liter tank took 82.5 liters.
Paul.
I wondered about that. Not so much the gas, as the tires. Exactly how much of the Trans Lab Highway is gravel. One post said it was only completed in 2010. Tell my why I should keep that in my plans rather than returning via Sydney.
Jim R.
Manitoba Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #25

Colorado
Quote:
Paul.
I wondered about that. Not so much the gas, as the tires. Exactly how much of the Trans Lab Highway is gravel. One post said it was only completed in 2010. Tell my why I should keep that in my plans rather than returning via Sydney.
Jim R.
We made that trip in 2014 late summer. The road was opened in 2010, but only graveled. The return via Labrador was for us to get a feel for the empty northeast of the continent. Labrador land has different character from western Newfoundland, for sure. It is empty, except for the mining and the Hydro Quebec projects, which are something to behold. The NL tourist office might have information on exactly how much of the road is paved, the expectation by many of us commenting is that it should be pretty much finished.

As far as travel over gravel roads, the more wear on the tires, the more they are vulnerable to punctures by sharp rocks or steel slivers sometimes shed by the grader blades. Tire pressure sensing is great. My truck has had it from the factory and later that year I bought the TST sensors for my Scamp.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tire pressure sensors. Like Paul I have Tire pressure sensors on our trailer and tow vehicle. Ours measure temperature and pressure. Temperature can be an indication of other problems beyond tire failure.

When we bought our tow vehicle for the Born Free we purchased a set of sensors from Amazon that were very reasonably priced and have worked perfectly and only cost $40. They are a set of four. I'm not sure if they can be set to show just two tires. If not the two extra could be mounted on the rear of your tow vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When we drove the TLH the portion of the highway that runs on the backside of the Mealy Mountains was not open, necessitating a ferry ride across Lake Melville, I believe this was the last section to be paved.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Paul
What and where did you get your sensors for your Scamp
Jim R
Manitoba Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #28

Colorado
Quote:
Paul
What and where did you get your sensors for your Scamp
Jim R
If I remember correctly, from Amazon, it is about five years ago. I got the display unit and two sensors, model #TM-507SE. I did not need more, since the 2013 Tacoma came with the sensors.

On edit: The 507 display unit can show all wheels on a big rig. It will cycle through all, show one at a time, pressure and temperature. The user has to make it recognize the sensor that will be used. In my case only two for the Scamp. To do the procedure requires careful reading of the instructions. Very careful, actually. I went through the exercise at least twice. One of the sensors went south on me in the first couple of months and they replaced it promptly. No problems since. Norm is right, it is good to monitor both pressure and temperature.