No ensolite in my trailer. Problem or not? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #1

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
No ensolite in my trailer. Problem or not?

So, this is my first trailer. This was my first post.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-68146.html

If you read my post you might have seen that the trailer has no insulation - just some sort of carpet on the walls.

My question to all you knowledgeable folks is:

Is not having the ensolite in my trailer going to be a major problem. I'm not sure if it would have a lot of condensation or other problems. I was hoping that proper venting and air circulation would stop any major issues. I would love some opinions. I'm not planning on winter camping and I'm used to sleeping in a tent so I'm not sure if I have to worry about it much.

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable advice and opinions

stefan
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Stefan, my impression is that you are in good shape. The carpet appears to be the same sort of 'rat fur' stuff that Scamps & Casitas are insulated with - though they do also get a layer or two of Reflectix beneath the carpet (a sort of foil bubble wrap, if you are not familiar with it).

Someone with more knowledge of Trills than I have will probably respond to your question - but knowing that your trailer is 38 years old I'm guessing that the carpet was installed as part of a redo.

Worst case scenario is that the carpet is the only thing on the walls and it might be a bit underinsulated. It should, however, prevent condensation problems.

By the way - nice looking trailer!

Steve
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefman View Post
The inside overall doesn't look too bad.

The fridge was replaced with a deeper one that sticks out a little.

The worst detractor to this trillium is that the ensolite was removed and someone glued a short pile/nap carpet to the walls with nothing in between. Have to see how that works out.

Overall I'd say it's a nice little trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefman View Post
Is not having the ensolite in my trailer going to be a major problem. I'm not sure if it would have a lot of condensation or other problems.
Yes, the new fridges are made deeper than the originals. The new fridge I had to put in my Fiber Stream does the same thing. There is no other choice. Even the new Scamp 13' does the same thing, since they still use the original measurements for the kitchen cabinets. Your pictures look to me like the fridge install was well done.

I understand your concern due to the climate in your location. (Just what is that white stuff ???) I believe the carpet alone will suffice as far as wall condensation is concerned, but you're concern now is condensation on the window glass. I don't believe that the 2 layers of reflectix behind the carpet (as is done in the current Casitas) will be missed much, though I could be wrong.

Both my Fiber Stream and Compact Jr. have nothing on the interior surface of the fiberglass shell but paint. I do get minimal condensation, but not enough to notice much. My heaters (both Gas Furnace and electric cube) do a good job keeping my trailers warm inside, so insulation is not missed.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No ensolite or insulation (wall covering). It's ALL about where you live, where you camp and those conditions. It's the extremes and the number of people (and pets) inside breathing and cooking that will determine if the walls SWEAT. BTW: The first built bolers... original EGGS didn't have anything on the walls.

What exactly are YOUR needs/wants?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks for all the quick replies. Makes me feel a little better about my purchase. To answer your question Donna, my wife and I and our dog are going to use this trailer to travel to the east coast of Canada and back either this summer or next. I mainly want it to sleep in overnight on the trip without the hassle of setting up and tearing down a tent every night. We have always camped in tents and have just brought extra sleeping bags for 'colder' nights. Colder being fall temperatures of maybe a low of 5-7 Degrees C (41-45 F). These temps would be rare for us but we survived just fine. I just hate putting up/tearing down a tent in the rain hence we figured an 'egg' would be great. This is my first trailer, as I do prefer to 'rough' it. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't buying myself a headache when I bought a trailer with no insulation. I plan to add a battery, put on new trailer tires, clean clean clean clean and then do some more cleaning and then decide if I want to worry about the ugly walls. When I get better pictures I'll show you that it's not the nicest job.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies and help. Hoping to pick it on Sunday and drag it home.

stefan
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I think you will be fine. If there is condensation, the carpet will absorb most of it. Maybe look into a Maxxair fan:
Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan Deluxe (Manual Opening)

When it is cold, it will help dry out the condensation, assuming you have a heater of some kind, a small, electric, ceramic, heater is great if you have power. When it is hot, it is half as effective as air conditioning, and can run on a battery all night long.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Live in Canada you say; lvl
The only advantage I have seen on Ensolite is we have not gotten condensation or ice problems (thick frost on the walls) so far. It has been running -25 to -40 plus the last few days so cold, not much more to say.
;-D
Old 02-26-2015, 02:14 AM   #8

Name: Donna
Trailer: 13'Boler /17' Escape
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No ensolite or insulation (wall covering). It's ALL about where you live, where you camp and those conditions. It's the extremes and the number of people (and pets) inside breathing and cooking that will determine if the walls SWEAT. BTW: The first built bolers... original EGGS didn't have anything on the walls.

What exactly are YOUR needs/wants?
My Boler has no insulation, no heater, and a flat roof and is one of the first
I have had no problems with sweating although I live in Alberta and it is dry here. When I have travelled and camped at -10 I have had a little condensation but very minor as I always sleep with a window cracked open. In the morning I put the coffee pot on and go back under the covers. By the time the kettle boils the trailer is warmer. My clothes are put under the covers and are kept warm all night by my body heat so I jump out of bed and dress in warm clothes right away
ohmydog2dee is offline   Reply With Quote