No flashers if key not in ignition? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
No flashers if key not in ignition?

Hi friends,
I recently bought a "new" (used) tow car (a 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6) which has the factory tow prep package on it. The package doesn't include the light harness nor hitch, so I just had those put in at the dealer I bought it from. (It turns out they sent it out.)

I noticed that my trailer's turn signals, when attached to the new light harness, work in unison with the car's. So do the tail lights when the headlamps are on. But the emergency flashers only light up on the trailer when I leave the key in the ignition in "accessory" position. If the key is out, the car's blinkers flash, but the trailer's don't.

I don't think it's the trailer as I don't remember anything like this before and also I have one of those red lights you stick in your 2x 2" hitch receiver when you're not towing. It acts as an added brake light, etc. But it also only flashes with the car's emergency flashers if the key is in the ignition.

Is this what is supposed to happen? Last time I was at that dealer, the shop BS'd their way on a couple of other things, and since they didn't even put the harness in, I'm afraid they'll tell me yes that's the way it should be even if it isn't.

Cory
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here's a possible explanation, note that I say possible since I can't see what they did. Some trailer wiring set ups use a "powered" adapter. This adapter uses a power wire from the battery to the adapter, which is connected into the vehicle tail/stop/turn light wiring. This adapter senses what light is on but doesn't take power from that light to work your trailer lights, the wire from the battery is what provides the 12 volts to the trailer lights. Now IF that is what is installed in your tow vehicle, it may have been wired so that power to that adapter is there only with the key on. Most likely that wiring adapter is stuck behind an interior panel, although recently I found one under a car exposed to the weather with non sealed connectors, not a good installation.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I agree that your 4 ways should work without a key. Call your local DMV or DOT to verify before heading back to the $tealer$hip.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I agree with Bob. Your tail light adapter is wired to Aux. power it needs to be hooked to the battery buss.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote