No Title in Ohio - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
OK....I saw a few posts about obtaining a title and the bottom line seems to be that it varies widely from state to state. I'm looking at buying an untitled trailer in Ohio. The seller says he traded it from a guy in NC (seems they may not require Titles for trailers?) and hauled it back with a dealer or temp tag. Bottom line is he has no title. I called BMV today and they basically told me the only way for them to title it is with a court order?! Didn't seem to know or care the odds or steps of getting this. Perhaps a bill or sale and title search and easy squeezy.....or perhaps a 10 year process taking more time and money than the entire trailer are worth!? Any advice, especially if someone has a similar experience in Ohio or a trailer from NC??? Thanks.
Todd G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
OK....I saw a few posts about obtaining a title and the bottom line seems to be that it varies widely from state to state. I'm looking at buying an untitled trailer in Ohio. The seller says he traded it from a guy in NC (seems they may not require Titles for trailers?) and hauled it back with a dealer or temp tag. Bottom line is he has no title. I called BMV today and they basically told me the only way for them to title it is with a court order?! Didn't seem to know or care the odds or steps of getting this. Perhaps a bill or sale and title search and easy squeezy.....or perhaps a 10 year process taking more time and money than the entire trailer are worth!? Any advice, especially if someone has a similar experience in Ohio or a trailer from NC??? Thanks.
I have now owned more trailers than I can put a number on.
governments all over the country are getting more and more restrictive.
I recently had a legitimate title notarized and properly transfered to me,but when I went to the dmv to get a title in my home state I ran into a $h!# storm because the out of state title had omitted the year of manufacture.
My advice is... NO TITLE......NO SALE!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
Hello Todd:
I have been considering the same thing, (I actually was looking at the same U-haul you are considering, but they claim to have alot of interest, and won't budge on the price, even though the trailer remains unsold, because of the Title?) but the Title issue really seems to be a problem.
In my research I found this place in Maine, that guarantees you a new Title for your purchase of an RV/ Trailer.
They appear to charge from $350 and up for their service.
Not sure if that makes the purchase worth it, but at least it appears to be a possibility.
Cheers and Good Luck.
Jake.

http://www.getnewtitle.com/component/conte...-rv-titles.html
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
There is some additional information on this topic in the current "referrals" thread on this particular U-haul, so you might want to read that one too.

Short version: It all comes down to your state, and somewhat to the previous state (because yes, if the previous state is an official non-trailer-titling state, you do usually have procedures available in your [titling] state so that you can get a title).

But, as far as I know, NC is a titling state, as is OH, and as far as I know, the new (your) state WILL check that before you can file the "I bought a trailer from a non-titling state and now I want a title" paperwork in your state.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I have not tried ITS but I have heard that they do a good job for a reasonable price.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote