Norcold refrigerator noise - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 2011 EggCamper
Ohio
Registry
Norcold refrigerator noise

We have just bought an EggCamper with the 12v Norcold refrigerator -- it's either a DE 0740 or a 0751. This unit seems quite noisy and vibrates quite a bit -- at least that is my perception. As I've no experience with these units (brand new to the camper thing), I've nothing to compare it to. It seems, though, that it has become louder over the past 1 1/2 weeks that we've owned the camper. The camper has been in the backyard the whole time plugged into the garage, so bouncing around would likely not be the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Raymond
RaymondC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Hi Raymond,
I too have an EggCamper (2007), and our frig is a DC0040 model. There is some noise with ours, but I think that it's amplified by the front of the fiberglass cabinet. It's not excessively noisy though. After camping in it I don't have trouble sleeping.

With that said, right now, I'm in the process of installing a new propane furnace, and I've got the frig removed from the cabinet. When I put it back together, I'm going to reinforce the front of the cabinet with some strips of maple glued to the inside surface. I use 3M4200 Fast Cure adhesive for just about everything that I attach to the fiberglass, and that's what I'll use to mount the maple strips. I'm hoping that it will dampen the sound a bit. BTW, the 4200 holds really well. I've used it to glue blocks to the interior of the closets and then fastened shelving. It's rock solid.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #3

Ohio
Registry
Thanks -- I messed with it last night and it is pretty much the rattles that are the problem. I'll be gluing...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondC View Post
Thanks -- I messed with it last night and it is pretty much the rattles that are the problem. I'll be gluing...
One of the rattles that I found in ours was the small tray, just beneath the freezer, ostensibly intended to catch drips. Shifting it a bit seemed to help for awhile.

Ron
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #5

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Norcold noise

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the type of fridge you have is based on a compressor, as opposed to the versions using propane. Compressors may cause random vibrations for a variety of reasons, even between recipients inside the fridge. Anything in the structure around the fridge may vibrate if not secured or dampered properly. Any loose screw or fridge component can be involved too. I have not found the installation manual of your specific model, so I can't speculate any further.

Good luck with your investigation !
Old 10-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Hi Raymond,
When I put it back together, I'm going to reinforce the front of the cabinet with some strips of maple glued to the inside surface.
Raymond,
Update: The furnace is in and I've camped for a couple of weekends since. There's really no improvement in the noise. It may be that I'm sensitized to the subject now, but it seems to be a bit louder than before I installed the furnace.

Have you tried anything to reduce the noise in yours?

Ron
Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The fridge in our Egg Camper is of course louder than a propane fridge but, to me, the advantage of the compressor is worth the slight noise which is minor.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
The fridge in our Egg Camper is of course louder than a propane fridge but, to me, the advantage of the compressor is worth the slight noise which is minor.
Bob,
I agree. It's a great little fridge and the noise is not that loud, but I think it could be quieter. It seems that the vibration from the compressor is amplified, either by the floor of the camper of by the face of the fiberglass cabinet.

As I said in an earlier post, I've reinforced the face of the cabinet with 1x1 maple strips to dampen the sound from the cabinet face. The fridge is raised up from the floor by a wooden platform. Next, I'm going to try a rubber mat on top of the wooden platform, beneath the fridge.

Ron
Old 10-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
The noise bothered us the first couple of nights but then we must have gotten used to it; we hardly notice it anymore.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
If it were me I wouldn't use wood to deaden the sound, I would use rubber. Something thick like a matt you would walk on, would do the trick I think. I would remove the fridge and place the rubber matt under it. If that doesn't help its probably inside the fridge , something against the compressor.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
We have just bought an EggCamper with the 12v Norcold refrigerator -- it's either a DE 0740 or a 0751. This unit seems quite noisy and vibrates quite a bit -- at least that is my perception. As I've no experience with these units (brand new to the camper thing), I've nothing to compare it to. It seems, though, that it has become louder over the past 1 1/2 weeks that we've owned the camper. The camper has been in the backyard the whole time plugged into the garage, so bouncing around would likely not be the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Raymond
I have nine face wound clocks which I keep running at all times, three of which have Westminster Chimes and five which sound the hour. Sometimes, even when I want to hear them,I fail to notice, even at the hour!
My son came to visit once and complained that the clocks kept him awake... And that was just the ticking!
Once a sound gets "normalized" you won't notice anymore.
I think that is true even of the constant motion alarms in factories.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #12

Ohio
Registry
I pulled the unit out and, with it setting on the floor, the rattle is coming from the compressor area -- can't seem to stop it even by pushing on the various areas of the coils. Disappointing for a unit that is touted to be "quiet". Ours is a DE-0751B -- which oddly enough is not listed with the "B" suffix on the Theford website. The season is about done in Ohio, so I'll be contacting the Theford folks over the winter and they can either fix the rattle or buy it back
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #13

Ohio
Registry
Went to Baltimore last weekend and solved the noise (at night) problem with 2 or 3 ice packs -- turned the fridge off for the night and everything stayed nice and cold.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The tray under the freezer is for condensation when you turn it off. sometimes, it can be inserted upside down and will cause noise, try removing and flipping or removing entirely until you finish using it. I did both with my Egg.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator