Northern Lite hot water leak problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
WCL

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Northern Lite
Or
Northern Lite hot water leak problem

I have a 2006 Northern Lite 10.2 Special Addition camper that when I run the hot water now, water starts leaking out of the back, bottom of the shell where all of the hoses, drain pipe and weep holes come through the shell. I am clueless as to where the leak comes from but it does it only when running the hot water. It happens if I run the pump or the city water pressurized water hook up. I have no NL Dealer anywhere near by and even when I talked to the the nearest one, they were not able to give me any idea what might be the issue. Any help would be appreciated since I am afraid that I am going to have to go to our local RV dealer and have them tear things apart without a clue. I am going on a six week trip in 10 days and I just discovered it on a week fishing trip last week. Thanks a bunch - carl
WCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #2

Name: Tryonbrewer
South Carolina
My 9.6 Queen Classic Northern Edition had a water tank leak but only when the heater was turned on and the water was hot. Pressurizing by pump or using city water, with higher pressure, made no difference. Turns out it was the pressure relief valve. I went to Home Depot and bought some teflon tape and a new valve used in home water heaters. It hasn't failed since.
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Wayne... uh, Carl?
Whatever. We'd love to see some pics of your Northern Lite.
I saw a small NL TT near Moab in 2017, but no one was there to give me a tour.

Is it true that NL is now owned by the new owner of Escape?

Walt
Old 08-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschager View Post
My 9.6 Queen Classic Northern Edition had a water tank leak but only when the heater was turned on and the water was hot. Pressurizing by pump or using city water, with higher pressure, made no difference. Turns out it was the pressure relief valve. I went to Home Depot and bought some teflon tape and a new valve used in home water heaters. It hasn't failed since.
Cannot be the pressure relief valve. It is on the outside of the trailer. Also would not use a home pressure relief valve since they need a lot more pressure to trip than an RV one. Could cause the tank to burst before the valve pops if a home one if the pressure rises to much. Many valves leak a little bit at times due to air in tank, etc.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Is it true that NL is now owned by the new owner of Escape?

Walt

Yes.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCL View Post
I have a 2006 Northern Lite 10.2 Special Addition camper that when I run the hot water now, water starts leaking out of the back, bottom of the shell where all of the hoses, drain pipe and weep holes come through the shell. I am clueless as to where the leak comes from but it does it only when running the hot water. It happens if I run the pump or the city water pressurized water hook up. I have no NL Dealer anywhere near by and even when I talked to the the nearest one, they were not able to give me any idea what might be the issue. Any help would be appreciated since I am afraid that I am going to have to go to our local RV dealer and have them tear things apart without a clue. I am going on a six week trip in 10 days and I just discovered it on a week fishing trip last week. Thanks a bunch - carl
Can you access the area or see into it at all. Maybe using a bright flash light and mirror if needed. Only leaking when the hot water runs is very strange unless it is a faucet leaking when the water is running and the water is running down the pipe to the area or it is the area of least resistance. Otherwise the water should leak all the time unless there is a valve. Our toilet valve just started leaking only when it was flushed. Fortunately it was the flush valve and not the pipe. Could quickly flush and it wouldn't leak but if a longer flush it leaked. Check under all the faucets in the cabinets and see if any are leaking. If it is a pipe it would leak all the time. It could be the line going into the hot water tank also. Do you have an in line filter? They like to leak also. Usually they are at the water pump or very close by. Good luck.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
WCL

Name: Wayne
Or
Northern Lite hot water leak thanks

Thanks everyone for your response to my hot water leak issues. It gives me a good start tracking down my problem. I am new to this forum and I am impressed with the help from members. thanks again - carl
PS- name confusion comes from first name Wayne but I've gone by my middle name of Carl for the last 66 years. Sorry about that
WCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCL View Post
Thanks everyone for your response to my hot water leak issues. It gives me a good start tracking down my problem. I am new to this forum and I am impressed with the help from members. thanks again - carl
PS- name confusion comes from first name Wayne but I've gone by my middle name of Carl for the last 66 years. Sorry about that
go to User CP, edit profile,a nd change your 'first' name to Carl, aand that confusion won't happen any more,....
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
northern lite