NOT insulating walls - just paint - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #21
Member
 
Name: carrie
Trailer: Cadet
New York
Posts: 37
[QUOTE=Civilguy;782930]It was a recent sale listing, for an HC1 with: "CUSTOM VIPEQ THERMAL CORKSHIELD INSULATION".

https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...amper-hc1-1003

I was intrigued enough by "Vipec thermal corkshield" to look it up. That's all I know about it. I do like cork.

THAT's really interesting stuff, I wrote to a couple companies to get some details. What a crazy camper you sent that it is in!
__________________

mscarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #22
tua
Senior Member
 
tua's Avatar
 
Name: Manley
Trailer: Happier Camper
Everywhere, USA
Posts: 147
VIPEQ

Here is a photo of VIPEQ on the ceiling and walls.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200624_144007184.jpg  
__________________

tua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #23
Member
 
Name: carrie
Trailer: Cadet
New York
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Here is a photo of VIPEQ on the ceiling and walls.
Wow, that looks great - is it yours? is it sprayed and did you do it yourself?
are you happy with the results?
mscarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #24
tua
Senior Member
 
tua's Avatar
 
Name: Manley
Trailer: Happier Camper
Everywhere, USA
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscarried View Post
Wow, that looks great - is it yours? is it sprayed and did you do it yourself?
are you happy with the results?
Yes the picture is our trailer.
I am pretty sure it is sprayed on but we did not do it. It was done at the factory as an experiment.
I do like it. It's durable, feels neutral (doesn't feel hot in the heat or cold in the winter), and produced no condensation while spending a cold snowy winter in it.
tua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #25
Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Posts: 53
Sound

In addition to the heat, cold, condensation, and translucence issues, sound transfer can be a big issue. Not only can you hear conversations outside through the thin walls (and vice versa) but all the other sounds.

Friends are(were) tent campers, and we were all camping and fishing together on one trip, when we had major rain all through the night. Not only did they sleep very little, but by the next night, the creek 20 feet away had risen and was a loud torrent that kept them awake much of the second night. They're now (after 40 yrs. in tents) trailer campers, in an insulated trailer.
Imagine the sound of this at night:
Attached Thumbnails
2018-07-15 10.57.54.jpg  
__________________
Don & Teresa
Tow: 2011 Honda Pilot
Trailer:2015 ESCAPE 17A
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #26
Commercial Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posts: 916
Tua is right Vipeq is an amazing product That Happier Camper has been experimenting in various forms on both the HC1 and HCT ,while it has incredible insulating and sound proofing Properties it is expensive and difficult to apply in small spaces . The other issue with Vipeq is it is not sold to the general public and only to licensed installers and the equipment is also expensive so the only way you could get it is to have a licensed installer do it for you.Vipeq has also been sold to a different company so I don’t think you can reach out to them anymore.
HC is dealing with the new company for some applications on some parts of the HC1 and HCT ,mainly the floors as it has incredible insulating capabilities to keep the floor warm and is extremely durable much like Rhino guard but with almost R8 insulating for every 1/4 inch Applied.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #27
Commercial Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posts: 916
[QUOTE=mscarried;783065]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
It was a recent sale listing, for an HC1 with: "CUSTOM VIPEQ THERMAL CORKSHIELD INSULATION".

https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...amper-hc1-1003

I was intrigued enough by "Vipec thermal corkshield" to look it up. That's all I know about it. I do like cork.

THAT's really interesting stuff, I wrote to a couple companies to get some details. What a crazy camper you sent that it is in!
Carrie the HC1 you mention is one of a very few that HC experimented with using Vipeq between the inner and outer shell And is extremely durable ,a great insulator and soundproofer but is expensive and labor intensive to apply .The major reason HC did not continue with this product is the time it took to apply and cure before putting the shells together as it substantially slowed the build process.It is also why HC Tried to build the HCT using only the Vipeq on the interior As there was no slowdown as the first prototypes were only single shell and although the Vipeq would of been a superior product to anything on the market HC felt the look and feel did not match the HC1 so HC made the decision to revamp the mold and make it a all double shell trailer. HC will still be using this product on floors And hidden areas that require it.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #28
Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
..........mainly the floors as it has incredible insulating capabilities to keep the floor warm and is extremely durable much like Rhino guard but with almost R8 insulating for every 1/4 inch Applied.

I might accept R-8 per inch, but not R-32 per inch. Some of the highest performing insulation on the market is 8/inch.
If someone can find a Listing or certified testing by an independent lab, that would be a good thing.
__________________
Don & Teresa
Tow: 2011 Honda Pilot
Trailer:2015 ESCAPE 17A
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #29
Commercial Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I might accept R-8 per inch, but not R-32 per inch. Some of the highest performing insulation on the market is 8/inch.
If someone can find a Listing or certified testing by an independent lab, that would be a good thing.
Yes that is what most would think but I have seen and used this product first hand and have been to their testing facility in Tucson and have witnessed some amazing things. This cork product comes from as specific tree in Spain and will keep this tree safe from Forrest fires and is mixed with other ingredients they wont specify . I have1/4 samples here with me right now that you can apply a heat gun to one side and you won’t feel it on the other so it definitely has some great insulating Abilities . This product was actually created to work in conjunction with already insulated buildings were it can be applied inside or outside even on roofs were they claim 1/4 inch will add r8 of insulation
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:40 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 2,915
Here is some more information on spray cork and how it is applied

https://buyspraycork.com/

Recently I called the service rep at a company I have bought from in the past that makes elastomeric coatings and asked if it could be applied to the interior of a fiberglass shell. He stated you need to apply a primer first to ensure good adhesion. So if you decide you want to have someone spray the inside of your trailer with it be sure to check that they use a primer that is compatible with fiberglass. Don't just take their word for it, ask for the product application direction information sheet for the primer. Too many companies will just say, sure we can do that without double checking the actual suitable application facts for an unusual substrate application.


Be sure to ask for product samples before you contract to have it done. You want to know if you are going to be happy living with its coarse texture.


I am sure it can be done but you just have to do it right. Cork Spray is popular in Canada. It has been used in Europe for quite a few years. Portugal has lots of cork tree plantations and this product is a good way to use up the small waste bits by grinding them up to use as an additive to coatings. It is nice when nothing from a harvest goes to waste.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:56 AM   #31
Commercial Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Here is some more information on spray cork and how it is applied

https://buyspraycork.com/

Recently I called the service rep at a company I have bought from in the past that makes elastomeric coatings and asked if it could be applied to the interior of a fiberglass shell. He stated you need to apply a primer first to ensure good adhesion. So if you decide you want to have someone spray the inside of your trailer with it be sure to check that they use a primer that is compatible with fiberglass. Don't just take their word for it, ask for the product application direction information sheet for the primer. Too many companies will just say, sure we can do that without double checking the actual suitable application facts for an unusual substrate application.


Be sure to ask for product samples before you contract to have it done. You want to know if you are going to be happy living with its coarse texture.


I am sure it can be done but you just have to do it right. Cork Spray is popular in Canada. It has been used in Europe for quite a few years. Portugal has lots of cork tree plantations and this product is a good way to use up the small waste bits by grinding them up to use as an additive to coatings. It is nice when nothing from a harvest goes to waste.
KC the process HC used was to prime with water base kills type paint and not for adhesion but to seal out any light from shining through As the cork will permanently adhere to any surface. The Vipeq was then applied with 2 1/8 thick coats . When left as a stand alone finish it is a little course so HC painted it with a acrylic top coat which significantly reduced its courseness
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #32
Commercial Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
KC the process HC used was to prime with water base kills type paint and not for adhesion but to seal out any light from shining through As the cork will permanently adhere to any surface. The Vipeq was then applied with 2 1/8 thick coats . When left as a stand alone finish it is a little course so HC painted it with a acrylic top coat which significantly reduced its courseness
you can see the finished product on J Lynn (Tua) HCT and if you are wondering I am the one who applied the Vipeq and finished her trailer.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #33
Junior Member
 
Name: Lu
Trailer: In the Market
Alberta
Posts: 9
I looked at having our Boler sprayed and was quoted $1300 and $1800. A little steep.
lskoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #34
Commercial Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by lskoscia View Post
I looked at having our Boler sprayed and was quoted $1300 and $1800. A little steep.
Yes if you are talking about the same product the wholesale price on the material is over $500.00 for five gallons and it will take all of it for your size trailer plus the primer and top coat .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Name: Chelene
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
Posts: 8
Question An alternative wall covering?

Hello. I've been watching the forum to see if anyone has tried (and been successful) with using insulated outerwear fabric to cover the walls.

My 1989 Lil Bigboot is gutted and waiting to be put back together. Sagging floor was the problem caused by leaking windows. All wall coverings removed down to the thin (1/4"?) insulation. We're looking to replace with something else. "Rat fur" aka hull liner seems to be very common. Not much variety in color choices.

A sewing friend wondered if we had considered the kind of fabric that is used in active wear/outerwear. I have found a product that seems to have many of the properties that would work well. Here's the description:

Polartec® PowerShield ® is the original soft shell fabric technology that combined breathable comfort with high performance weather resistance. This family of fabric styles has a nylon or polyester face that is water repellent, wind resistant and durable. The interior is finished with an insulating layer of fleece (high loft, classic or micro). This fabric blocks 98% of the wind while allowing some air movement for increased breathability. ALL COLOURS:
Water Repellent
Wind Resistant
Abrasion Resistance
Highly Breathable
Versatile Performance
Stretch and give for active comfort

What are your thoughts on this as a viable option?
Chelene in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #36
tua
Senior Member
 
tua's Avatar
 
Name: Manley
Trailer: Happier Camper
Everywhere, USA
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelene in BC View Post
Polartec® PowerShield ® is the original soft shell fabric technology.......
What are your thoughts on this as a viable option?
I would say that it may be worth a try.
How would you attach it?
Gosh it could be a good addition to tent walls too.....
I wonder if there is a way to try it on a portion of the walls to see how it withstands condensation, heat and cold....
__________________
Currently in Utah with Happier Camper and Happier Campers!
tua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #37
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Put some ice in a glass, add liquid of your choice an set it on a table in a warm environment. Condensation will form in minutes.

Park you trailer in a cold environment and warm the interior, while breathing. Condensation will form.
While if you put a foam cozy on the glass or can there isn't the condensation. I seem to recall someone used those colorful foam tiles for the floor as wall material. The ones that interlock and are advertised for play rooms.

Not sure of the cost but colorful, and insulating are certainly features those tiles have. I would also think some advantages in working with smaller interlocking tiles than entire wall sized pieces of material. Sealed and tough enough to walk on so should hold up well.

My guess is one would lay them in rows using a true line chalked on the wall. Then overlap in the curved corners and cut through the covering of both walls at same time. Where they overlap in the corner. By cutting side and front wall at an overlap and at the same time the edges of the seam will match.

One thing I sometimes forget that is worth remembering. Unlike a project to improve your house the square footage in the camper is tiny. What would be a big to huge project mentally might in fact not be that big of a deal in the camper if one starts thinking of it at the right scale. Other than the lack of room to maneuver. Start setting tools and materials around a 13 foot scamp and it gets crowded fast.

I put down thin flooring that mentally seemed like a big job but once I started laying it out I realized I was going to be done very quickly. There just isn't much floor. Not much wall either.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Name: Chelene
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
I would say that it may be worth a try.
How would you attach it?
Gosh it could be a good addition to tent walls too.....
I wonder if there is a way to try it on a portion of the walls to see how it withstands condensation, heat and cold....
Thanks for the encouragement to try a sample. Not sure how to do that when the whole egg is apart but will think on it. Anyone have any further thoughts on using Polartech as a wall covering?
Chelene in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #39
tua
Senior Member
 
tua's Avatar
 
Name: Manley
Trailer: Happier Camper
Everywhere, USA
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelene in BC View Post
Anyone have any further thoughts on using Polartech as a wall covering?
Perhaps trying Polartech on windows would be a good test.
But I still wonder about how to attach it.
__________________
Currently in Utah with Happier Camper and Happier Campers!
tua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Name: Chelene
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
Posts: 8
Smile Polartech for walls?

Good suggestion to try on windows. I'll order a sample to see how that works.


From what the supplier told me, this particular Polartech product has a fleece backing so a good adhesive (I have read that there is a reliable 3M product that people use on "rat fur") could be the solution. The texture should provide a base to adhere to the walls.



I just wonder if the sound insulation would be sufficient. It seems to me that if the fabric can withstand freezing temperatures when used in outdoor wear (ie for snow and ski activities), it seems reasonable to think it would do well to insulate but also breathe on the trailer walls.


But perhaps I'm overly optimistic


Do any of the rest of you folks have input on this?
__________________

Chelene in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paint


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To paint or not to paint? Anita Modifications, Alterations and Updates 12 02-13-2016 01:03 PM
interior walls and ceiling- paint? carpet? CS86 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 07-12-2013 04:17 PM
Insulation - to paint or not to paint? Trillium.Stella Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 23 09-04-2012 10:46 PM
Success with Int paint walls,countertops,Cabinets, Carpet for floors. Walls, too? Gigi Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 08-31-2012 11:13 AM
To paint or not to paint andrew ferguson Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 8 08-14-2007 07:02 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×