NOT insulating walls - just paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #1

Name: carrie
Trailer: Cadet
New York
NOT insulating walls - just paint

hi!
I have a mid 80's cadet and have pulled out all the fabric.
Debating on a quicker move forward and instead of insulating and putting fabric on (I've read though all the posts about bubble wrap, ensolite, marine fabric covering). This may be the same with any fiberglass trailer, just the cadet is particularly light.

What is the downside,
IF I just clean it well and paint it - no insulation?
except winter camping.

Thanks!
mscarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscarried View Post
hi!
Debating on a quicker move forward and instead of insulating and putting fabric on (I've read though all the posts about bubble wrap, ensolite, marine fabric covering). This may be the same with any fiberglass trailer, just the cadet is particularly light.

What is the downside,
except winter camping.

Thanks!
Summer camping. Insulation is handy for heat & cold...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
hi!

What is the downside,
except winter camping.

Thanks!
Some form of insulation is important, not just for cold but for heat and condensation as well, and to prevent light transfer through the walls. If nothing more, take a look at Ozite.
Ozite is a light "carpet" material which responds well to glue, will block light better than paint and comes in directional and non-directional patterns with many color choices. It also has a nice comfortable texture.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #4

New York
thank, thats a good idea. Do you think any marine headliner or auto carpet will do? the Ozite it pretty pricey, but looks nice.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Some carpet has a stiff backing, which makes it harder to work with as well as heavier and more likely to pull loose over time. As long as the product is synthetic (won’t absorb moisture or odors) and has a light backing or none, it should work. Something with a nap will hide seams and imperfections. It also creates dead air space for comfort and condensation control.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Our Campster has bare painted walls. We do not get noticable light through the fiberglass, iethercbecause of the paint ot the thickness of the walls. The big issue is condensation m especially in the NWet.

A little insulation would be nice. We don't tend to have extreme temperatures but the lack of insulation shortens our season.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Most FG trailers the inside of the exterior walls were never meant to be exposed, so they tend to be rough fiberglass.

+10 some insulation prevents sweating. +10 bare fiberglass can be translucent. Me it’s the sweating that is the bigger issue.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Some carpet has a stiff backing, which makes it harder to work with as well as heavier and more likely to pull loose over time. As long as the product is synthetic (won’t absorb moisture or odors) and has a light backing or none, it should work. Something with a nap will hide seams and imperfections. It also creates dead air space for comfort and condensation control.
Thanks!
I've seen some with foam backing,
that may do a little of both. or is that not recommended?
Old 06-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
thank, thats a good idea. Do you think any marine headliner or auto carpet will do? the Ozite it pretty pricey, but looks nice.
My local Menards sells 5'X8' rugs of Ozite for cheap (like maybe 10-$12 ?)

I have it in the beige and in off white in the non-directional pattern.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #10

New York
no Menards in NY..
Old 06-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #11

New York
So, whatever I put on, will be glued (with 3M adhesive 90) and then will generally be there forever! (ie: that's what they thought when they glued the rat fur : ). Or if you do insulation.. you glue straight to that - very detailed!

Not quite sure how much I'll need - I mean those cadet windows cover most of the front and back - maybe 8 yards?

Thoughts: a wool -

Foam Backed fabric material

Hull Liner
Old 06-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

The wool is an underlayment, and probably heavy. I’m not a fan of smooth fabric liners. They show dirt and snags or tears. I have it in my other RV- a Class B- and I like Scamp’s rat fur better. I’d also want to know whether the foam is closed or open cell (only closed cell should be used in your trailer).

That leaves door #3.

The amount will depend on the width of what you buy and how you lay it out. In a Cadet I’m thinking you’d want one continuous piece running up the front wall, across the ceiling, and down the back wall. Two pieces for the side walls.

I’d look into a liquid brush-on automotive headliner adhesive rather than (many) spray cans of 3M90.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
no Menards in NY..
Maybe "Home Depot", "Lowes" or Bigbox?
Old 06-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #14
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Another possibility is paint with insulation in it.

I agree with the other posts...you want some insulation for the condensation.
Condensation will come from rain, snow, cold, propane use, cooking, humans and pets.
Condensation will get anything touching the wall, wet and will roll down the ceiling and walls.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #15

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Painting Interior

Not that I am going to do it or have any experience with it...but I vaguely think I have seen it discussed somewhere before...so:

What about bedliner "paint?" It is pretty thick and would provide some insulation. It might even be possible to apply more than one coat and get significant insulation.

Let us know if you find out anything about it.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Avoid glue

If you glue something to the wall and later do not like it you have a problem!

You will find lightweight indoor/outdoor carpet at big box home stores that do not have backing.

They are almost like felt.

You can use heavy duty sticky back Velcro or double sided carpet tape.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Carrie.....

Even if you're just a summer camper....some insulation is needed if only to avoid the extreme condensation curse. My Casita has grey carpet w/ 1/4" foam backing, which is standard for the brand. If you can locate a Casita owner nearby, I suggest you visit and take a look. It really does make a difference. And you don't wash one's inside walls...just vacuum them occasionally!

Hope to meet you somewhere down the road......

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Another possibility is paint with insulation in it.
I recently ran across a "stucco" type product that is spray-applied to metal building exteriors and contains cork for insulation. I think it was mentioned in a recent for-sale listing or - ?

It was something like this link, just a different brand. But, I suspect it's not a DIY item - ?

https://buyspraycork.com/

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I recently ran across a "stucco" type product that is spray-applied to metal building exteriors and contains cork for insulation. I think it was mentioned in a recent for-sale listing or - ?
It was a recent sale listing, for an HC1 with: "CUSTOM VIPEQ THERMAL CORKSHIELD INSULATION".

https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...amper-hc1-1003

I was intrigued enough by "Vipec thermal corkshield" to look it up. That's all I know about it. I do like cork.

And, yeah, condensation can really throw a wet blanket on your camping experience. Personally, I would do something to insulate.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Put some ice in a glass, add liquid of your choice an set it on a table in a warm environment. Condensation will form in minutes.

Park you trailer in a cold environment and warm the interior, while breathing. Condensation will form.

Tags
paint