O.K., I have decided on an awning! Now I need your help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
I have a restored 1975 Boler. I have decided to go with a Carefree of Colorado awning (Campout)
It comes in a 7' and 8' lenth. The 7' only extends 4.8 feet while the 8' extend a full 7' WHAT TO DO?
I have seen the 7' on a boler and it looked nice . Does anyone own an 8 foot campout that is currently mounted on their Boler (or small trailer for that matter) that can post pictures ? Also, do you like the size, and does it work well?

Your help would be great !
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have the carefree freedom 3! i used it for the first time last weekend..and i absolutly love it!! No more hassles or asking someone to help me roll the old one it up or down!!
the one that was on this scamp was very brittle and old anyways...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I've been told that the difference in basic body shapes between the Boler and Trillium makes an 8ft awning on a Boler NOT such a good choice but because the Trillium has a longer/straighter rooftop section the 8ft works well on it. The 8ft on the Boler might overhang a little too much of the roof ( IF you care!!)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #4

Quote:
I've been told that the difference in basic body shapes between the Boler and Trillium makes an 8ft awning on a Boler NOT such a good choice but because the Trillium has a longer/straighter rooftop section the 8ft works well on it. The 8ft on the Boler might overhang a little too much of the roof ( IF you care!!)
Hi Doug,

Yes, I do care! Thanks for the input. The more research I do, the more I am finding out that this is the case and I will need to go with a 7 footer.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hold up something 8' long where you think the awning would mount (maybe a 2x4?)... what does it look like? Acceptable? If the body is 10', I'm thinking an 8 footer might work, you' just need to pull the brackets in closer to the center... rather than at the ends.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
beings the trailer is curved couldnt he have brackets made like Joy A did on her scamp??
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
I have a restored 1975 Boler. I have decided to go with a Carefree of Colorado awning (Campout)
It comes in a 7' and 8' lenth. The 7' only extends 4.8 feet while the 8' extend a full 7' WHAT TO DO?
I have seen the 7' on a boler and it looked nice . Does anyone own an 8 foot campout that is currently mounted on their Boler (or small trailer for that matter) that can post pictures ? Also, do you like the size, and does it work well?

Your help would be great !
I just looked at the website because I found it hard to beleive a 7' only extended 4.8'.

Per the website:

"Specifications
Seven foot canopy extension, all sizes."

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rvfcpa_c....asp?m=01030103

I'm interested because I am looking for an awning for mine, one day.

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
I just looked at the website because I found it hard to beleive a 7' only extended 4.8'.

Per the website:

"Specifications
Seven foot canopy extension, all sizes."

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rvfcpa_c....asp?m=01030103

I'm interested because I am looking for an awning for mine, one day.
Thanks for the feed back. Carefree just updated their website this week. They have discontinued the 4.8 extention version for 2008. And as have it, I didn''t know they offered a 7x7 version.

Here is the 4.8 extension on a Boler. I like it because it looks very proportional to the Boler (ie. not too big for the Camper).
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/can...Boler%20Awning/
Old 03-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Thanks for the feed back. Carefree just updated their website this week. They have discontinued the 4.8 extention version for 2008. And as have it, I didn''t know they offered a 7x7 version.

Here is the 4.8 extension on a Boler. I like it because it looks very proportional to the Boler (ie. not too big for the Camper).
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/can...Boler%20Awning/
Mike,

I agree, I think it looks proportional to the 13 footers. If it was 3 1/2-4 ft longer, wouldn't it hang down a lot more? Are they making them for the rest of 2008? Do you know how much they are for that size?

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Mike,

I agree, I think it looks proportional to the 13 footers. If it was 3 1/2-4 ft longer, wouldn't it hang down a lot more? Are they making them for the rest of 2008? Do you know how much they are for that size?

Thanks,
Sharon
Hi Sharon, Here is a 13' scamp with a 7x7 A&E on it. I think it looks too big. Plus, at the end, it hangs pretty low. That's got to be at about 5 feet. I don't know about you, but i'm taller then 5 feet!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&id=11187

If your looking for one. You better start looking now because I think it's just distibutors that may have some left. Carefree is not making them as of now. I am going to verify that again on Monday.

The price is the same as the 7 footer I think $250-275.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
My awning is an A&E Horizon awning, same as Carefree Freedom 3 except the mechanism on mine are to the front of the trailer. My awning is what they call 8 ft. It extends out between 6 & 7 ft, I can't remember but it's plenty.

The case is 8' 3" long. The fabric is not as wide, so minus about 8 inches makes the fabric 7' 4" wide.

Here's some pictures:

Attached Thumbnails
100_0037.JPG   102_0215.JPG  

Dawson_Creek_campsite_Alaharts.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Just FYI:
both the appended trailer pix show the awning(s) attached to the sidewall of the trailer bodys.

I next to never open ours out that way. Preferring instead to drop the two adjustable legs down to the ground (that you see attached to the sides) and raise/lower the outter edge of the awning to suit my 6'3" stubby stature, LOL!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Just FYI:
both the appended trailer pix show the awning(s) attached to the sidewall of the trailer bodys.

I next to never open ours out that way. Preferring instead to drop the two adjustable legs down to the ground (that you see attached to the sides) and raise/lower the outter edge of the awning to suit my 6'3" stubby stature, LOL!!!!
I like how that looks. It doesn't look out of proportion with the legs extended down to the ground.

How does the top canister attatch to the Scamp? Nice looking rig buy the way.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamp bracket, thanks to Joy... I have the A&E Case Awning on my trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #15

Here's the web address for my awning project.

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca...os/browse/c766

2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 03-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
My awning is an A&E Horizon awning, same as Carefree Freedom 3 except the mechanism on mine are to the front of the trailer. My awning is what they call 8 ft. It extends out between 6 & 7 ft, I can't remember but it's plenty.

The case is 8' 3" long. The fabric is not as wide, so minus about 8 inches makes the fabric 7' 4" wide.

Here's some pictures:

Joy,

Is your's a bag case or a hard case?

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #17

My A&E Horizon awning is a case awning as you can see in my pictures. So is the Carefree Freedom III. They are virtually the same awning. I've seen the Freedom III and the only difference is the mechanism where you put the wand to crank the awning out, is reversed. It's to the front of the trailer on the Horizon and to the back of the trailer on the Freedom III. All of the awning parts are made by Fiamma. Carefree and A&E put their own fabric on their awnings. The difference from what I could see is the design on the fabric.

Having said all of this, Casita for what ever reason is no longer putting the A&E Horizon awning on their trailer. They now put Fiamma F45's on them, which is identical to the A&E Horizon, except for the fabric.

It this as clear as mud?????

Personally I'd find out the current prices for all 3 and go with the one that cost the least, they the same awning.

When I purchased mine 6 years ago it was the A & E Horizon which cost the least. It's been a wonderful awning.

I almost forgot to tell you that if you are near a Camping World they sell the Horizon and have it on display. Also an RV dealer that sells Camper Vans will most likely have one that has one of the 3 afore mentioned awnings affixed to it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 03-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:
My A&E Horizon awning is a case awning as you can see in my pictures. So is the Carefree Freedom III. They are virtually the same awning. I've seen the Freedom III and the only difference is the mechanism where you put the wand to crank the awning out, is reversed. It's to the front of the trailer on the Horizon and to the back of the trailer on the Freedom III. All of the awning parts are made by Fiamma. Carefree and A&E put their own fabric on their awnings. The difference from what I could see is the design on the fabric.

Having said all of this, Casita for what ever reason is no longer putting the A&E Horizon awning on their trailer. They now put Fiamma F45's on them, which is identical to the A&E Horizon, except for the fabric.

It this as clear as mud?????

Personally I'd find out the current prices for all 3 and go with the one that cost the least, they the same awning.

When I purchased mine 6 years ago it was the A & E Horizon which cost the least. It's been a wonderful awning.

I almost forgot to tell you that if you are near a Camping World they sell the Horizon and have it on display. Also an RV dealer that sells Camper Vans will most likely have one that has one of the 3 afore mentioned awnings affixed to it.
Do you know if your awning comes with the option of adding a Screen Room or a Add-a-Room?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #19

Yes, you can add a screen room I know to the 10 ft awning, not sure about the 8ft. You might want to check out the Fiamma site and see if they make one for the 8 ft awning.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 03-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #20

Sharon it just struck me that you and anyone else going to the Spring NOG can see a 10ft Horizon awning on Donna D's Scamp and then the Fiamma F45, I think, on Linda & Dale's Casita.

Donna's got the trailer brackets also, but you might need a step ladder.
2019 Ram Longhorn