Off-grid help needed! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The relatively efficient refrigerators with Danfoss type compressor (Engle, Truckfridge, etc) probably would use about the same amount of power as that little 12V cooler, and would keep food as cold as you wanted it; they can even function as freezers. As far north as you are, you have a greater sun angle and probably a fair bit of cloudiness, so to support such a device you'd probably need 150-200W of solar panels and you would benefit from having a pair of batteries to go with the solar. I would not rely on the vehicle battery, because it isn't made for that kind of usage (although while driving it would work out fine, just not while camped).

I have looked and thought and debated with myself, and over the years I have come around to the traditional ice chest cooler for extra cool-food storage. A basic Coleman Extreme is affordable and can keep stuff suitably cold for about 4 days (maybe longer with your cool nights). A rotomolded cooler like the Yeti will stretch that to about 6 days, for a price of course. How long you camp without access to more ice would dictate which one is better for you. For the price of a decent fridge you can buy (or make!) a lot of ice. Here is a link to the recent thread about coolers here on FGRV... http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hts-78692.html

About fridge cooling (not that you've indicated trouble), one easy thing to check is the tightness of the door gasket. I've read that if you close the door on a dollar bill and can pull the bill out with ease, the gasket isn't sealing very well. A new gasket shouldn't break the bank.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieB View Post
Thanks for your reply, Gordon! I use my propane fridge all the time - not just for a weekend - it just isn't big enough for all I need to store. Just looking for an additional off-grid solution.
Block ice in a Yeti or similar type cooler and don't open it every ten minutes to retrieve a drink.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieB View Post
So many of you have mentioned Yeti coolers in your comments to me about off-grid camping. What's so great about a Yeti and how are they different from any other cooler?
Yeti is an overpriced example of a super insulated molded cooler. They retain ice and cold much longer than traditional coolers.

The good news is there is nothing unique with Yeti other than brand name, and great marketing. The Ozark Trail, Walmart brand, had the same construction in their top of the line cooler at 1/3 the price. I paid $96 for my 26qt Ozark Trail. They make two larger sizes as well.

I keep one in my truck when we are traveling and set it out at the campsite. It holds our overflow from our small frig and beer.

Figure ice will last twice as long in the Yeti style over a good branded cooler that costs half as much. May never pay back in ice savings but will in convenience!

+10 if you are going to open it a lot, leave those items in the frig. Ice doesn't last if you are frequently opening the cooler.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Yeti is an overpriced example of a super insulated molded cooler. They retain ice and cold much longer than traditional coolers.

The good news is there is nothing unique with Yeti other than brand name, and great marketing. The Ozark Trail, Walmart brand, had the same construction in their top of the line cooler at 1/3 the price. I paid $96 for my 26qt Ozark Trail. They make two larger sizes as well.

I keep one in my truck when we are traveling and set it out at the campsite. It holds our overflow from our small frig and beer.

Figure ice will last twice as long in the Yeti style over a good branded cooler that costs half as much. May never pay back in ice savings but will in convenience!

+10 if you are going to open it a lot, leave those items in the frig. Ice doesn't last if you are frequently opening the cooler.
We bought the 52 quart Ozark Trail cooler for $147 .
It's not a Yeti or an Engel or a Pelican but at the price it serves our needs. If the temps are reasonable , the cooler is kept in the shade , and we use block ice we can get 5 days out of it..
That's assuming your not opening the cooler every 5 minutes
to grab a beer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote