Okay, need some input here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Okay, need some input here

I have yet to do any insulation in my Scamp, after having gutted it. In fact I am in the process of doing a little metal work on the trailer itself.
But here's the question, after having seen the Uhaul, the interior seems to be smooth like the exterior.
Are the Uhauls without insulation and if so, how would one go about creating the same effect with a Scamp?
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I believe that the U-Hauls have an inner hull, you can't get there with a Scamp.
What you see is the reverse of the outside, with gelcoat showing

Part of the original intent/design was for the U-Haul dealers to have minimal cleaning requirements after use. I have been told (but have not verified) that they were designed to be hosed out after beer parties etc. (Yuk)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #3

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
LOL, but you know it makes quite a bit of sense, the Honda Element and the Jeeps can be hosed out as well. After buying the Scamp, I have found that their are companies that IMHO produce a better product. I've gutted mine and I'm doing a total redux, when its all said and done it will be fine. But other manufacturers eliminate some of the short comings of the Scamp.
But thanks for the input.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The 1973-74 here (1969-1982 elsewhere) VW THING/Safari/Type 181, originally designed as a military vehicle, had drain plugs to be removed when hosing out.

And, yes, I agree, SCAMP is sorta the economy reference in FGRV's, having changed very little in the design since 1972. It's sorta like the VW Beetle, but at least VW made improvements along the way.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote