Old tape deck hole in closet. How to repair? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #1

Name: Christina
Trailer: Burro
Nevada
Old tape deck hole in closet. How to repair?

Hi all. I'm a new Burro owner and a previous owner installed an old tape deck into the closet wall. I've removed the deck, but there is now an approximately 6-8 inch wide hole in the wall. I've watched a Tap Plastics video on how to repair holes like this, but is anyone aware of a kit that might be out there that repairs the fiberglass hole and the gelcoat wall? I don't want to buy gallons of resin and gelcoat. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1442.jpg   IMG_1445.jpg  

viajera80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My theory on things like this is: if I can't fix it so that it looks good, then hide it. A plaque, art work, a wall hanging, or I've even had custom wood pieces made. Here's one example.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0147.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I'm about to take a radio/cassette deck out of my camper and use the hole for my solar regulator. If you're considering getting solar in the future don't do a permanent fix on the hole save it for when you need it.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What can I say?
Old 09-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

Name: Christina
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
My theory on things like this is: if I can't fix it so that it looks good, then hide it. A plaque, art work, a wall hanging, or I've even had custom wood pieces made. Here's one example.
Lol! We were thinking about putting up a picture or small mirror, but thought we would try our hands at repair. If it's too much of a pain in the rear, we will go this route.
viajera80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
You could also just install a vent in the hole. Might have to trim it a bit but it should look like it was made for it.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Put a wood plate on it with fold down coat hooks. A number of companies make them in stainless including Ikea. It will be a functional feature you will enjoy having in the trailer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #8

Name: Jim
California

Put in a CD-radio that fits the cut out. I love using the stereo in my burro.
jgilardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Photograph the tape deck, make an 8x10 print, frame it, and hang it over the opening.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:09 AM   #11

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Well--you got a variety of answers there!

Fiberglass isn't hard to work with, but making the repair semi-invisible might be a real challenge. I wonder if a workable solution might be to create, in effect a radio-block-off-plate, and either glue or fiberglass that into the opening.

If it was me, and I was doing it to my U-Haul [similar to your Burro], I'd [1] start by getting a piece of rigid, smooth-faced plastic a little larger than your current tape deck hole.......[2] make it "tidy"--straight-sided, with slightly rounded corners.....[3] trace around it on your Burro's closet skin, and then slightly enlarge the existing hole to match your new plate, until the plate just fits the opening, and then tape it in place on the "good side" of things........[4] glue a patch on the inside of the closet that bridges over the gap between new and old.

If you want to do this with fiberglass, you can get a small kit [probably] in an auto repair store that deals in auto-body fillers and paint.

And then on the side that shows, you can mask off the surrounding area and spray-paint the new patch something close to the original color. It won't be exactly the same, and you'll see a thin seam-line, but it should look neat & tidy. And you'll have done a little f/g repair!

My two-cents-worth.............
Gary

p.s. There's a really long thread on this site about f/g repair that I studied a lot before diving into my own project..... I think the author went by "Fiberglass Dave". Lot of good tips in there.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #12

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Closet hole

Gee, I love that vent idea. Looks like it belongs, and is functional, kinda`
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #13

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
I replaced the electric cord port on my LiteHouse with a male surface mounted plug. I patched the old hole using a piece of 1/4 plywood (coated with epoxy) as a backer. I used thickened epoxy to patch the hole. There was a lot of fairing and sanding involved. Instead of trying to match the oxidized gelcoat, I taped off and painted the patch and the area around it as a design accent.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #14

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
I had a cassette player in my boat that didn't work well. I removed it and placed a secondary breaker panel to power a few electronics. Just had to cut the hole a little larger.

Nav Desk Panel
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #15

Name: Madeline
Trailer: Casita
Florida
There are some nice in cabinet Kleenex holders with face frames that look like they would cover the hole.
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Mesage board

Our Trillium had a similar hole- I found a dry erase magnetic board designed for school lockers fit perfectly. We use it to track thngs we need to fix/adjust/add to the trailer as well as holding shopping lists! The hole is hidden and we have a place to keep track of things.
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
It's an opportunity, be imaginative.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote