Olympic wave heater as primary heat source - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
South Dakota
Olympic wave heater as primary heat source

Hi my name is Dennis,
I ordered a new Casita 17' Spirit, I am wondering if anyone has heated their camper with a Olympic Wave heater as their sole heat source and if so what size heater did you use?
borrisrex777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
We purchased our 2010 Casita used and it didn't have a furnace. It did have the strip heater in the air conditioner and also a ceramic heater is an option if shore power is available but we like to dry camp without hookups so we installed a wave 3 propane catalytic heater. It is more than adequate to heat our Casita down to 20 degrees on high or 35 on low. You have to provide adequate air supply to support the combustion and have enough air to breathe. We usually leave the roof vent open a couple of inches and that has worked for us.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
X2 what Larry said....
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Probably too late to change anything but " Why if you knew you wanted / needed heat did you not order the factory furnace ?"
The cost difference between the factory furnace and adding an after market heater is insignificant , and with solar the battery issue is resolved. Plus running an unvented heater in an enclosed space never seemed like a good idea to me.

We live in NW Wisconsin and know people who bought new trailers without the factory A/C and then a short time later (After the first hot day) decide that A/C is actually required and the remodel begins.

Just Curious ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #5

Name: Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrisrex777 View Post
Hi my name is Dennis,
I ordered a new Casita 17' Spirit, I am wondering if anyone has heated their camper with a Olympic Wave heater as their sole heat source and if so what size heater did you use?
I have a older 17' Bigfoot and the furnace is shot so based on the advice of another Bigfoot owner, I just ordered a Wave 6 and recessed mount. I plan to put a sign beside it with instructions to leave a window slightly open as well as the vent. I'm really looking forward to not having any fan noise, not to mention the battery draw.
threepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Heater

Hey Dennis,
Nothing against the Wave heater but I would suggest if it's not too late, have the factory furnace installed. I use my furnace far more than my air conditioner but I'm glad to have the air when needed. As Steve mentioned the battery draw could be addressed with a solar panel if you're planning on boondocking more than a couple of days. I don't find the fan noise particulary offensive. After all it's called a TRAVEL trailer and you're likely to experience a wide variety of temps. Happy camping. Peace
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Casita now uses the QS model furnace . If noise is an issue my Casita furnace is not that noisy and certainly no worse than the A/C. If I have a choice between freezing / roasting to death vs a little fan noise , I'll take a little noise any day !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
a couple of thoughts....

to start with having to open a window to run a heater sounds a little counter intuitive but is a necessity in this case...

leaving the roof vent open during operation seems counter productive...the top half of the trailer is where all the heat is...heat rises after all...radiant heat might not heat the air... but it heats objects that eventually transfer that heat to the air around them

if the installation is permanent (mounted in a specific spot) I'm thinking it would be pretty simple to install a small diameter pipe to the outside that would come out close to the heater to feed it with fresh air

either way a good CO detector is a must...happy heating all ! (it's the middle of MAY and the temp. outside is 11C today)

(pics are of a furnace in a 97 B17 center bath, located in bottom of closet)
Attached Thumbnails
furna2.jpg   furna3.jpg  

furnace.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We don't have the Wave 3, but have used a Buddy propane heater at times. The problem with the factory furnace for boondocking is that the fan draws about 3 amps each hour of use, so you would need to recharge the battery to replace all those amps.
Solar is a good way to recharge batteries, but in the winter, when you need the heat the most, the sun doesn't always cooperate with your solar panels; it is lower on the horizon, comes up later and goes down sooner, and is frequently blocked by trees since it is so low.
That is where an unpowered heater can really make a difference. We have solar but have had to use our Buddy heater when the battery got too low a couple of times. We now have twice as much solar and upped our battery from 100 amps to 155 amps (12 volt golf cart battery) so hopefully won't have a power problem, but will still carry the Buddy heater just in case.
We actually leave our vent open no matter which heater we use, helps reduce the condensation buildup.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You shouldn't get as much condensation from a vented furnace as from an unvented heater. A Wave or Buddy heater emits water vapor into the cabin as a byproduct of combustion. That's in addition to water vapor produced by breathing bodies.

A furnace sends combustion byproducts, including water vapor, outside.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #11

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
well there your go....

"you can't have everything"
"there is no free lunch"
"it all depends"
"to each his own"
"if the shoe fits"

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrisrex777 View Post
Hi my name is Dennis,
Hi Dennis, I removed the old furnace from my Surfside, and i plan to replace it with the smallest Olympic heater available. Eventhough they are considered safe for indoor use, with fresh air venting, I plan to turn it off overnight during sleep.
Dave
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
ABK

Name: AB
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Get the furnace by all means. Seriously think you will not regret it at all. It is compact, out of the way and the fan you will get accustomed to quickly.
Seems, I recall South Dakota will get chilly from time to time and that furnace will be much appreciated.
ps:not to mention the increased resale value if you decide to trade up someday.
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote