On the road again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Question On the road again

On Monday I will be leaving for a road trip to Ontario, Canada and then through Buffalo to Washington DC and then south. I hope to be able to stay out until the end of February.
NOW, don't everyone jump on me at once but....
I am picking up a Viking pop-top truck camper in Ontario and putting it aboard my Tacoma. The Trillium is staying behind.
I know what life is like in the Trillium but I need to check out life in a small truck camper. And this is my chance....

So, here's the question.....
Do travellers meet, convoy up and travel together for a week or two?
Picking up and dropping rigs as you travel. I know it is done on the intercoastal waterway with boaters. Does it happen on the road?

I set out, alone, on this odyssey with some trepidation, in spite of my experience and there is safety and comfort in numbers [at least for me].
So, if you are still speaking to the guy with the truck camper can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Thanks in advance... Scouter Dave....
Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Truck campers

We travelled and camped in truck campers for 20+ years, sometimes with friends, most times alone. Have never done what you asked about. Additionally, we snowbirded for a few years in a large truck camper. Due to my wife's difficulty in climbing into the camper overcab bed, we now do everything in one of our two trailers. That said, I still find truck camper travel the very best way to hit the road. Check out the truck camper magazine and/or owners website for more and probably better information.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
dave---i have never heard of anyone who has done this style of travel either, but it is an intriguing idea! there is safety in numbers and especially for someone travelling solo like you are. more importantly, the comradeship and company once stopped for the night would be terrific.

as for the idea of dropping off/picking up a different unit along the way, it's also an interesting concept.

safe travels to you!
keep us informed as to your progress. with no one to accompany you, we can keep you company thru this forum!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Safe travels to you... no matter the "convenience" or the mileage between point A and point B... we'll leave the light on for you!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
So, here's the question.....
Do travellers meet, convoy up and travel together for a week or two?
Picking up and dropping rigs as you travel. I know it is done on the intercoastal waterway with boaters. Does it happen on the road?

Thanks in advance... Scouter Dave....
Dave I hope you have a great adventure. As far as convoying I have personally only done that as a result of prior to leaving having arranged to meet up with someone else along the way. But I can tell you that last winter while in the south it was pretty easy meeting people along the way and I was told by more than one group about where they there heading next and invited to join them - so I suspect its not unheard of for people to end up traveling for at least some of their trip with folks they didnt know prior.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote