One-Burner Stove - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
One-Burner Stove

In case anyone is thinking about removing the two-burner stove from their trailer...to eliminate the complete LP system, or whatever, I thought I'd share some photos of a simple inexpensive single-burner stove I installed in my 1978 Scamp 13 today.

The stove is a Gasone Butane Model GS-1000, and cost about $16.00. Such stoves, with different names, are available at most Asian food markets. I have used these type stoves on boats for many years and believe they are great small stoves. They use 8-oz butane canisters that last for quite some time, and are removable after each use. And, the stove will boil a pot of water very quickly!

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp Stove cabinet 1.jpg Views: 24 Size: 157.3 KB ID: 93299" style="margin: 2px" />

View of the cabinet with stove mounted over the 2-burner stove opening. I'm still working on the fridge trim!

Name:	<a title=Scamp stove close up.jpg Views: 25 Size: 165.0 KB ID: 93300" style="margin: 2px" />

Close up of the stove and controls. It has a striker to light the stove, which is very handy. The cover for the opening is made from a 39-year old Scamp plywood cabinet door, with the cover top covered with a thin sheet of white aluminum. It's hard to find plywood of this quality these days!

Name:	Scamp stove open.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	93301

Stove with grill removed to show the two wing-nuts, that are attached to two bolts that hold the stove in place. The wing nuts can be removed quickly so stove can be used for outdoor cooking.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I got one at Walmart with the Coleman name on it for twenty dollars with a nice carrying case.
I finally bought the fuel off E-Bay in bulk for under $2 a can.
It is a great stove, very stable and very efficient... Love it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It's been my experience that you can't always find the butane/isotane cans for stoves that require them. With that in mind there's lots of backpacking stoves that use white gas(coleman fuel). Or there are those that use standard .9 lb propane cylinders which can be found every place.
I saw .9 lb propane cylinder in the store at Death Valley, but no butane/isotane.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It's been my experience that you can't always find the butane/isotane cans for stoves that require them. With that in mind there's lots of backpacking stoves that use white gas(coleman fuel). Or there are those that use standard .9 lb propane cylinders which can be found every place.
I saw .9 lb propane cylinder in the store at Death Valley, but no butane/isotane.
It is true that the 8-ounce butane canisters are not available everywhere that propane canisters are sold. However, more and more sporting good stores are now selling them. I've never ran out of butane canisters when camping or boating, as I believe in having a few spares of almost everything!

Bill
Old 03-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I get a couple packs of four from Home Hardware ( in Canada ) for $9.99 each pack.
Always have spares.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I was out for five weeks with a partial can and two spares in the truck. I did use up the partial and started on a fresh can before arriving home. I bought something like 28 cans from E-Bay for something like $1.79 per can. I also have a couple of Coleman stoves, one was a two burner and one was a single burner (lantern base). They work fine but the butane stove stable and clean with no spillage or the smell of gasoline.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Another advantage is, if you run out of butane, it takes about a minute to replace the canister with a fresh one and relight the stove.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
Just some additional information:

Back in the dark ages..Jan 2007, I wrote a article entitled Cooking Stoves for Trailer Sailors, for the Small Craft Advisor Magazine. To gather information for the article I tested several small stoves ranging from alcohol fueled home-made "pop" stoves to $100.00 Seacook Marine Stoves.

At that time one of the more costly single burner stoves (Burton), which appears the same as the Gasone Stove, claimed that a 8-ounce butane canister would run for 3-hours at the highest setting.

In the article I also wrote that I did a test wherein I boiled two cups of water in 4 minutes 16 seconds with a Gasone Brand Stove. I guess that would be considered fast only if you make a comparison with one of the Esbit solid-fuel stoves which took over 8-minutes and two fuel tablets to boil two cups of water!

Bill
Old 03-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #9

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Bill,

I bought the exact butane stove you have written about here for my mother last Christmas as an emergency back up unit in case power goes out. She loves it and feels safe using it. I easily have found the cans of butane at gander mountain and dicks sporting goods, although more $ than Floyd mentioned. Came with a handy carrying case too. Heats up quickly and efficiently. Great to make soup, fry an egg or what have you. And very inexpensive. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote