one wire led exterior light Bargman 99 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Name: chris
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom deluxe
Missouri
one wire led exterior light Bargman 99

I have a 2000 Casita- I have to replace one of the 4 inch Bargman 99 -side exterior lights. The LED replacement and the incandescent replacement both only have 1 wire, the are self grounding, how does self grounding work on a fiberglass trailer? Any help is appreciated thanks!
chris 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Original light would have a ground wire under the attaching screw or rivet. Replacement would ground the same way. I had a little trouble replacing one of the side lights on our Casita because I couldn't get any extra wire pulled out from under the carpet in the right storage area
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

Missouri
thanks Mary and Bob- I haven't received the light yet so I will try grounding it to the rivet, I just am not sure it will truly be grounded since it is riveted to fiberglass?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It is time for you to purchase one of those $4 multimeters at Harbor Freight.
It will answer many of your wiring problems now and in the future.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 1 View Post
I have a 2000 Casita- I have to replace one of the 4 inch Bargman 99 -side exterior lights. The LED replacement and the incandescent replacement both only have 1 wire, the are self grounding, how does self grounding work on a fiberglass trailer? Any help is appreciated thanks!
Hi Chris, first I have to say that using LED marker lights aren't needed to save battery power if that's what you're after as they are powered by the tug. I did replace my stock markers that were breaking up from UV with LEDs because they were cheaper . I posted a few pictures of what I did. You will have to pull the +/- wires out of the shell. Your outside lights were installed before the carpet was installed. They had it easy connecting the neg wire to the rivet. They are in between the shell and GLUED carpet and are held very well. On one or two I had to cut the carpet on the inside to add wire as it wouldn't pull. I soldered short pigtails with ring connectors to the neg wire. Make sure you use a tester to make sure it's -. Had to drill out the back plate of the light to get the ring through it. The ring connector was used with a rivet to the neg pole of the light. Clear as mud I know , wish I knew how to add the pics I posted of it. Anyway, just one way to get it done.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I guess I wasn't clear that the ground wire attaches under the rivet. Here's a picture of a Bargman light that is similar to what is on our Casita, but don't recall if it is exactly the same. Pencil points to the ground strap in the light. On this light the wires push into holes in the back of the light. I used a different type light when I had to replace one just before a trip as the original type wasn't available locally. So you may have to run a ground wire into the light and under the rivet head, or if it has the push in connection like the light shown you would just strip a short piece of insulation off the end of the wires and push into the holes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0791.jpg   IMG_0792.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
LED lighting draws VERY little current. Could it be that BOTH small wires are heat-shrink wrapped or in a small tube together so the second wire is not easily detected??? Just a thought...
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
You can attach the ground wire to the screw/rivet that the light grounds to on the inside of the trailer
Greg and Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #9

Missouri
follow up

Thanks every one! The light arrived, I chose LED since I will likely not have to replace it, unlike light bulbs. So I attached the positive wire from the Casita (green) to the power wire (black) on the LED light and then added a ring terminal to the ground (white wire) and attached that to the rivet and viola a replaced working side marker light! I did have to remove the yellow insulation off the ring terminal to get it to fit behind the light just in case anyone else needs the information. Thanks for all the help! I am trying to attach pictures in case it helps anyone else!
Attached Thumbnails
casita bare wires.jpg   casita bare wire with ring terminator.jpg  

casita side light ready to attach.jpg   casita side light attached.jpg  

Old 08-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When replacing my marker lights with LED ones I inserted plastic anchors in the holes and used screws instead of revits and risking breaking the plastic light housings

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 1 View Post
... I did have to remove the yellow insulation off the ring terminal to get it to fit behind the light ...
You could apply (or could have applied) some liquid electrical tape to the crimp and even even the ring terminal and post if you wanted to help seal it against corrosion.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light