Operating a 3-way fridge while driving? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #21

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Never had a problem with any flame blowing out.
Propane is simple, easy, and safe. We've used it for many thousands of miles of travel.
Just saying...
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
This is the article describing the case I mentioned with the fire started by gas splashing at the fridge vent. Now news articles are often wrong of course but this one seems to be well documented with a statement from the RV owner...

https://www.houmatoday.com/news/2010...ana-couples-rv
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It hurts to watch that video.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It's important to have the fridge work while driving.

On older fridges that have to be manually lit, but blow out, it's possible to make a simple metal shield that will stop the problem. This sits inside the outer fridge cover, and over the flame area. Very simple to make. I had to do it on one of mine and the problem went away.

On newer fridges that light themselves, it is not a problem.

If you need more power to run the fridge on 12 volts, run a new charging wire from the tow battery to the trailer battery and connect it at the tongue with a 50 amp Anderson plug. Actually two wires, + and -. I've installed these on two of my setups and they work very well. Use an Anderson plug at the tongue, and install a 50 amp breaker near the tow battery. I used #6 wire on one and #4 wire on the other. With this you can run the fridge on DC and you can charge the batteries much faster than with the seven pin 12 volt lead.

On my last trailer, the fridge was about 20' back from the gas fill on the truck. I would switch the fridge to propane when we left home and turn it back to 120V after we got home. I never shut it off while traveling during the whole trip. I'm not arguing that as the best policy, but I saw no danger in doing it. Of course, where specifically mandated, I would have shut it off, and as I recall, shutting it off was required on the Mobile Bay Ferry in Alabama.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post

And have there been any fires at fuel pumps? Try this link: http://www.pei.org/sites/default/fil..._incidents.pdf
That's a lot of static electricity fires! Looks like most of those were caused by people getting back in their car while fueling, and then getting back out and the static electricity they picked up hitting the gas vapors as they grab the nozzle the second time.
That reminds me of a where I have refueled many times.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thats the whole reason for a 3 way fridge.
So you can use the 12 volt DC while driving/towing.
120 V AC while in camp with electric hook up.
Or LP when boondocking. w/o electric.
Tow package or not, the alternator should be able to maintain cool in the fridge.
Just don't leave it hooked up too long without the engine running, It will drain down your TV battery as well as the trailer battery.
So, for lunch stops etc. just turn off the 12v switch at the fridge, or pull the umbilical cord. …. just remember to reconnect before you hit the road.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #27

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
By now, you've gotten enough answers/opinions/solutions to your question. Just find one you're comfortable trying and see if it works. If not, there're plenty more to choose from.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #28

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
[QUOTE=SusanP;819341] Looking for hive-mind wisdom about how to keep a newly installed Dometic 2354 3-way pre-cooled fridge cool while driving. We have a 7-pin connection to the trailer, and are towing with a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo ...

In a word, yes! We use the same tow vehicle, same year, same connections. The 12v will do fine while towing but be sure to pre-cool the fridge before your trip.

If you stop for more than 15 minutes, disconnect the tow vehicle. The fridge will stay cold while you stretch your legs and have lunch.

Been doing it this way for over 20,000 miles and still pleased with the performance!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Or you can dump the 1930s technology fridge and get a compressor fridge, LFP or other battery system of your choice and some solar stuff, and join 21st century camping!
Old 07-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #30

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Flames appear to be coming out of the open door of the tow vehicle.
Look again. That is a motorhome. Look at the duallys on the rear axle
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Look again. That is a motorhome. Look at the duallys on the rear axle

OK. Fire is in the front. Fridge would be in the kitchen area. Hose is in the pump. Kinda hard to diagnose from a fuzzy photo.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
.. Kinda hard to diagnose from a fuzzy photo.
Then watch the video I posted above that the still shot was taken from. And the article says the owner was in the gas station when the fire started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Old 07-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #33

I watched 1;45 of 12:11 video ( which is why I don't watch videos ) and learned nothing.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #34

North Carolina
Quote:
I watched 1;45 of 12:11 video ...and learned nothing.
Yes, thats usually how it works

BTW.. did you know that if your watch videos on Youtube (not embedded) that you can speed them up as much as double time? So figure it to be a 6:05:30 video.

A few conclusions from someone who did watch the entire video... more than once:

1. People seem to think the fire is no threat.. they are walking around while ignoring the fact it is at a gas pump, and there is no doubt propane on the RV, and it's even possible that this is terrorist attack with the camper full of nitrate. Heck, one woman is even on screen smoking a cigarette, and the videographer was choking on the smoke. Ever hear of Cancer?
2. It takes the FD a while to respond and then attack the fire. Even though someone say that their station is only 3 miles away.
3. Firemen and firewomen are some brave SOBS! They have no idea what might happen but they go in there and do what needs to be done.
4. The front of the camper suffered the worst damage, but the entire thing was a total loss.
5. Gas in Michigan was $3.45 for regular in 2014.. so the current prices are not so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   YouTube2x.jpg  

Old 07-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #35

Neighbour worked at a gas station. Any incident and the pumps are shut off instantly.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #36

North Carolina
Quote:
Neighbour worked at a gas station. Any incident and the pumps are shut off instantly.
I assume you mean the manual shut offs... so are you gonna trust some minimum wage employee to remember to hit the switch? And regulations usually require shut offs where anyone can get to them but how many of us have thought about and planned to locate and use them in case of a fire? Its true that if the shut off is used the threat is much less.. but I think you put too much faith in people.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #37

Quote:
I think you put too much faith in people.

Thing is, it's the fuel vapour that is explosive. You'd have a hell of a time trying to light an underground tank.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:41 PM   #38

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanP View Post
*Now Edited*! Looking for hive-mind wisdom about how to keep a newly installed Dometic 2354 3-way pre-cooled fridge cool while driving. We have a 7-pin connection to the trailer, and are towing with a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo (can tow 3,500 lbs), and which has a mysterious 'towing package' (?). We have solar panel on the roof, and a 100 lithium ion battery. I've read (a) conflicting advice on keeping the propane on while driving; (b) diverse opinions about whether or not the battery can operate the fridge while driving; and (c) debate over whether or not the alternator keeps the fridge powered. Help! Anybody expert enough to settle this discussion? I've got a 4,000 KM trip coming up soon, and need to know! TIA.
The 12 volt will not keep the fridge cold enough. The battery will most likely be dead in a few hours like 3-4. If it has a pilot it may blow out but if it is an electronic igniter it will run just fine. We've only had one fridge blow out while traveling. It was a 1969 camper. 13 campers and 40 years later we are still running with propane on and have cold fridges. We make sure to stop away from fuel pumps and turn the fridge off then after fueling pull away from pumps to restart fridge. Gas fumes are dangerous if there's any flame or igniter. That is why they tell you not to smoke or use cell phones at pumps. As far as your solar someone else can tell you more since I don't have any solar.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:50 AM   #39
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Yes, thats usually how it works

BTW.. did you know that if your watch videos on Youtube (not embedded) that you can speed them up as much as double time? So figure it to be a 6:05:30 video.

A few conclusions from someone who did watch the entire video... more than once:

1. People seem to think the fire is no threat.. they are walking around while ignoring the fact it is at a gas pump, and there is no doubt propane on the RV, and it's even possible that this is terrorist attack with the camper full of nitrate. Heck, one woman is even on screen smoking a cigarette, and the videographer was choking on the smoke. Ever hear of Cancer?
2. It takes the FD a while to respond and then attack the fire. Even though someone say that their station is only 3 miles away.
3. Firemen and firewomen are some brave SOBS! They have no idea what might happen but they go in there and do what needs to be done.
4. The front of the camper suffered the worst damage, but the entire thing was a total loss.
5. Gas in Michigan was $3.45 for regular in 2014.. so the current prices are not so bad.
Good observations. Yes, what are those people nuts. I see something like that I get as far away as possible. As to the response time, some one says it's an all volunteer dept, so they have to get to the station first which accounts for the time. I agree, very brave people.

In the picture you posted , is that the gas pump nozzle hanging from the filler? Also gas stations I visit have a fire suppression system. I wonder why it wasn't activated?

One thing I've gained from these discussions is that there are a large number of rv's travelling down the road with their fridge running on propane. As such, when I see an rv at a gas station I will often go to the next station or at the very least, the next set of pumps. It's too easy to forget to turn it off and then there are those who don't think they have to. Forgive me if I don't trust their judgement.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #40

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
In the picture you posted , is that the gas pump nozzle hanging from the filler? ..
Looks like just some debris tossed out of the camper by the firemen, it was not present in the video prior to that point. And no gas hose from the pumps is seen in the video at all.

Tags
fridge, vin