Operating a 3-way fridge while driving? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #81

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I just got gas yesterday. There was a small no smoking symbol. A small turn off engine sign. A fairly large description of the risks associated with static discharge. I suppose they feel like that still hasnít gotten into the mind of most drivers.

I was actually looking to see what regulations would be cited on the placard. Spoiler: no regulations were cited.

Odd, because the tax disclosure sticker was pretty clear as to which laws it was complying with.

Anyway, with very little research, certainly not exhaustive, I havenít found a federal regulation that prohibits pulling an RV with a propane fridge lit through a gas station forecourt. I really would be interested if someone finds it. Seems like it should exist.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #82

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
I havenít found a federal regulation that prohibits pulling an RV with a propane fridge lit through a gas station forecourt. I really would be interested if someone finds it. Seems like it should exist.

If it were an issue.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #83

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
I just got gas yesterday. There was a small no smoking symbol. A small turn off engine sign. A fairly large description of the risks associated with static discharge. I suppose they feel like that still hasn’t gotten into the mind of most drivers.

I was actually looking to see what regulations would be cited on the placard. Spoiler: no regulations were cited.

Odd, because the tax disclosure sticker was pretty clear as to which laws it was complying with.

Anyway, with very little research, certainly not exhaustive, I haven’t found a federal regulation that prohibits pulling an RV with a propane fridge lit through a gas station forecourt. I really would be interested if someone finds it. Seems like it should exist.
Probably in the NFPA Codes, (National Fire Prevention Assoc), but if you UNDERSTAND the (definition of) "FLAMMABLE", with any experience in any related field, you realize that IT MEANS THAT just the VAPORS can be IGNITED by a spark/ flame 20-50-feet away in an enclosed space, and then fireball across the entire room. Gasoline fits that category. Probably MUCH lower radius in open air, but can vary much w/ (wind/ no wind) and humidity differences. IMHO, The RV SALVATION (reason we see so few RV fires at the pump) is the height of the flame above ground, just like the water heater in a garage "must be at least 18" above finished floor"... the vapors are HEAVY. Scary to me is a GASOLINE SPILL AT THE PUMP, because you never know when someone will drive up and drop the CIG to step on and put out. BTW, "Combustible" (normally, at room temps) means the flame must touch to ignite. Your local FIRE MARSHALL OR FIRE INSPECTOR can probably tell you what he might quote for violations?
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:14 PM   #84

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Casita Spirit
Missouri
Simple experience here

The dometic refrigerator must be level in order to cool or stay cool. Make sure your hitch and tow vehicle line upÖto create a level tow. I use propane alwaysÖwhen not connected to shore powerÖ.works great. Even makes ice.
cpound53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #85

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpound53 View Post
The dometic refrigerator must be level in order to cool or stay cool.

Not entirely true. See your manual. Newer ones are comfortable, if you are comfortable. If you roll off the bed, the fridge won't be happy either.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:39 AM   #86

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpound53 View Post
The dometic refrigerator must be level in order to cool or stay cool. Make sure your hitch and tow vehicle line up…to create a level tow. ....
While it needs to be fairly level when parked... when towing the normal movement of travel will keep the system working fine, often better than when stationary.

The reason to have level tug and trailer when towing has to do with vehicle stability and it has nothing to do with fridge performance.

If you could put your trailer on platform that would shake and tilt the entire camper when it was parked then the fridge would work fine at a fixed location without the need to remain level.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #87

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

If you could put your trailer on platform that would shake and tilt the entire camper when it was parked then the fridge would work fine at a fixed location without the need to remain level.
I like this idea! Then we could pretend we're traveling and not actually have to go anywhere. Maybe set up a movie outside the window too, then scenery could be going by. I think you're onto something with this! And, on top of that, the fridge would work very well.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #88

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Kind of like taking a baby for a car ride to get them to sleep.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:18 PM   #89

Name: straykat
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500, 2004 Damon 34' Challenge Fiberglass motorhome,
Kalifornia, Michigan, any other place we stop.
Registry
propane blow out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
Some people run on propane, some don't. There are safety concerns. Mine blows out.

A Dometic 2354 draws 175 watts while operating on electricity. That's almost 15 amps at 12 volts. Your car alternator can keep up. Your car-trailer wiring may not, but with the addition of your solar installation, your system may. The only way to know for sure is with a volt meter

Check your trailer battery voltage (with a meter) with the fridge and car running. If the voltage stays at 12.6 or above, you're keeping up. If your system doesn't keep up, remember that a filled cold fridge will stay cold for a few hours. Ice packs in the freezer can lengthen the time. For longer trips, run the fridge two hours on - two hours off. Check your voltage again when you arrive to see if that works.

Have fun on your trip.
I have 1980 Trillium 4500 and always have traveled with propane running the original fridge Still inthere and still works, and never had the propane flame blowout in over 60,000 miles and or while boondocking. We only stayed in CG with hookup 4 times in over 10 years so needed the propane to get through. My 12 volt side of the fridge doesn't work, needs a new element.

Hope this is helpful for you.
Pack it in, pack it out.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, vin