Optional Location for A/C in new Scamp 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hey Group! I was looking at Scamps for sale both vintage and newer and am wondering if you can order a new 13' Scamp with the A/C mounted under the closet or any other floor level location as opposed to having it roof mounted? This way it would fit in a garage. Just curious if this in an option or if one has to order it without an A/C altogether and then do the mod.

Melissa
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Why don't you call or email Scamp and ask them? They should know...
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #3

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
Hey Group! I was looking at Scamps for sale both vintage and newer and am wondering if you can order a new 13' Scamp with the A/C mounted under the closet or any other floor level location as opposed to having it roof mounted? This way it would fit in a garage. Just curious if this in an option or if one has to order it without an A/C altogether and then do the mod.

Melissa
Melissa,

I wondered the same thing and talked with the Scamp folks a couple of years ago. The word then was that they could no longer get RV-suitable air conditioners to fit in that spot. We had exactly the same considerations as you....didn't want the monstor AC on the roof, which would have prevented us getting the Scamp in the garage. As suggested, you may want to give them a shout to see if anything has changed.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #4

Ok, I'll let ya know what they say. I wanted to avoid bothering the good folks at Scamp if possible as I'm sure they are very busy hatching eggs but it's always good to get it straight from the horse's....er....uh......chicken's mouth, lol. Wonder why they couldnt just put a residental A/C unit in there as opposed to an RV specific window style unit. They must have though they wouldnt be able to do the job.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Now, this is speculation on my part and I have no facts to back it up... but, I'm wondering if the reasoning of no longer putting A/C down in the closest area has to do with warranty work. A house A/C is not really designed to take the punishment of continually going down the road and we know some roads can be pretty dang rough. Perhaps since Scamp can't get a RV model A/C at a price within reason, it's better for their business model to NOT install a house A/C. Of course, that never precludes an owner from making the modification.

Hummmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
Don't know if another trailer would work for you but Casita still puts the AC in the 13 footers at floor level in front.

Karen M
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Hi Karen, Now that is something I did not know. I've been on the Casita site and yet somehow managed to miss the A/C location. The Casita is as cute as a bug too.
Thank you for pointing this option out to me. We havent settled on a particular brand yet, just a 13 footer.

I did miss Scamp's call today but the message said maybe something could be worked out on the A/C location so that is good news.

Thank you!
Melissa

Quote:
Don't know if another trailer would work for you but Casita still puts the AC in the 13 footers at floor level in front.

Karen M
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Unhappy

My " Eggy-Sue" (the pull-it surprize) is a 13Ft Scamp that is liberally festooned with Roof mounted options.For a mere $250 I raised the header on my garage and installed an 8Ft door which is adequate to accomodate her even with an air conditioner , a Maxxair, an antenna, and a fairing on top. Most garages have enough room, even with an opener, for those that do, this is a convenient and viable solution. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp