Options for updating cupboard latches - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium 4500 (1979)
Manitoba
Registry
Options for updating cupboard latches

Hoping some experienced users can weigh in here: what can we do to 'update' old-fashioned thumb-latches and hinges? Mine are ugly! Can hinges and latches be spray-painted, yet still work? Can we use strong magnets to hold cupboards closed? Do self-closing hinges keep our stuff safe in the cupboards when we bounce down the road? Looking for your advice!
SusanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is page one of ten pages of latches at Leevalley.com
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 4.39.54 PM.jpg  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I, too, am disappointed with the anemic latches that came with my 2011 13' Scamp. We have bungee-corded the cabinets with moderate success. One trip required travel on an extremely bumpy road and our cooler door ended up dangling open and the fiberglass cracked! You can be sure (after our repairs) that we now bungee cord that door closed as well. I wish there was a way to secure that door better.

When we vacationed in New Zealand we rented a fully-outfitted van which had incredibly simple, yet effective latches for doors and fridge. In addition the drawer had custom foam which held dishes, mugs and utensils so they did not vibrate. This is important, not only for prevention of breakage but also for the driver and passengers so you do not hear rattling and banging for your whole trip.

Take a look at this thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hes-56105.html for some solutions others have come up with. You can do your own search on this forum. Simply go to the "Search" bar, drop down to the "Google Search" and enter the words "cabinet latch". There you will find other's solutions/suggestions.

Look here for a discussion about Casita latches, which are like the ones used in our New Zealand van. You can go to www.beetlefreak.com to purchase Casita latches. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...amp-72151.html

Hope these ideas help you and others. Let us know what route you decide to take.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I wanted to keep the "Vintage" look and feel on my 13 foot boler so I ordered these from Vintage Trailer Supply:

https://vintagetrailersupply.com/sta...atch-vts-398s/

I haven't had a door open yet.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #5

Name: Chantal
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Options For Updating Cupboard Latches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanP View Post
Hoping some experienced users can weigh in here: what can we do to 'update' old-fashioned thumb-latches and hinges? Mine are ugly! Can hinges and latches be spray-painted, yet still work? Can we use strong magnets to hold cupboards closed? Do self-closing hinges keep our stuff safe in the cupboards when we bounce down the road? Looking for your advice!
Dear SusanP,

I too thought that the gold latches that came with our 74 boler were UGLY, and proceeded to spray paint them silver grey. Yes, they still work perfectly well, but every spring I need to do a few touch ups to keep them looking good. I'm glad I didn't change the original latches, because none of the cupboards have ever opened during travel, but spray paint is not the right paint to use. I'd probably go for marine paint instead.
boler girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
rare earth magnets work wonderfully in my casita 16'er. since the installation i've not had a single "open door" event at the end of a days drive... they, however, do not maintain the "vintage" look.

p@
Attached Thumbnails
door magnet mod_1.jpg   doors_interior.jpg  

patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #7

Name: E
Trailer: 2014 Sidekick 1500 (Trillium Sidekick)
California
My wife and I got tired of having things jump-out of any random cabinet with our friction latches. We pack a lot of heavy pots and pans, etc.. We replaced all of our latches with these cabinet latches. They are solid and lock although they are not the prettiest:

Erik_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I have actually mostly gone with velcro where I needed to replace something. I have had to replace the whole suspension system for the drawer under the stove on my scamp 16. The original had this board with ugly aluminum u channel pieces. No chance of getting a replacement and the whole thing was ugly. I just put in draw rails and selected ones that had a built in latch.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:43 AM   #9

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
On our last RV trip, one of my drawers catches broke. I had to tie the drawer in when we traveled. That was annoying. Got home and ordered these cabinet latches from Camp’N to replace. Took less than 5 minutes to a total perfect snap catch and we are back in business again. Exactly the right fit. Screws went in easy.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:47 AM   #10

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
these potential shipping issues shouldn’t throw much of a wrench into what this option can offer. You’re getting top-tier RV cabinet latches for a bargain bin price. Rig owners are going to have a hard time finding a better deal.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote