Options instead of ensolite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #1

Name: ronny
Trailer: 74 boler
British Columbia
Options instead of ensolite?

Was wondering if any of you guys put in anything other than ensolite? Im currently ripping apart my "new" 74 boler and i'm turning it into a concession cart.

Not too hip on ensolite as I don't really need insulation. Wanted to give it some colour on the inside, but was wondering what options are avaliable to me? I've pulled off a few strips of the ensolite and under it it's the fiberglass obviously. Wondering how to go about this? I know the glue they used when putting in the ensolite is a pain to get off as well....

Love this site btw, Awesome!
thenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Thinking out loud here... what about some kind of paint-on latex or other rubbery material? It might be easier to clean than Ensolite or carpeting. I imagine you could get it in any color you wanted.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Volkswagen Golf TDI
I'm just starting to experiment with Ensolite alternatives. Unfortunately, I was not able to salvage my Ensolite. The glue that held it in place actually peeled completely off of the shell in several places, but not all. Getting the rest of the glue off was quite messy, but you'll want to leave a relatively clean surface so that whatever you stick up there actually stays put. I ended up using Peel-Away paint remover. Pricey, but one application does the job. It MUST be rinsed out afterward because you don't want it soaking into the glass and resin. That was really easy for me, of course, because the trailer was gutted and I had the entire floor out.

Whatever you put in there, I strongly recommend some sort of insulation and reflective barrier. Those glass shells are really good at trapping heat when the sun is out. That's why Scamp (and maybe a few others?) are using Reflectix foil-covered bubble wrap under the headliner. You may not care about staying warm if this rig will be used for vending, but not using reflective barrier under your liner may cook you along with your food.

For the headliner, I would prefer a non-textile because I want it to be easy to keep clean. I imagine that's an even bigger deal for you, maybe even a legal requirement if it's food you'll be selling. I haven't found the perfect solution yet, although I'm leaning toward some sort of coating over foam made from a special type of plastic called ionomer. This is from the same family of plastic used for golf ball skins - tough stuff. The main (only?) producer of this foam in North America is Gilman Corp. and the foam is called Softlite Foam Facts It's sold in small quantities by McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com, who will ship to Canada. This foam is used for arctic buoys and huge dock and boat bumpers. One huge advantage to this stuff is that adhesives, paints and coatings stick to it really, really well. I'll probably apply one layer of Reflectix and one of Softlite on top.

I'm still looking for that perfect, cleanable rubber-in-a-can to paint it with. I tried Plasti-Dip in the spray can Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Synthetic Rubber Dip Coating, but that's way too expensive and the fumes were wicked. It also left bubbles which popped and left little craters. Gallon cans are much less expensive and may give a better finish, but you'll still have those fumes. Plasti-Dip also makes some water-based commercial coatings for things like yoga mats and medical cushions, but you have to buy 5 gallons of it at a time. I'm also going to try applying glossy polyurethane caulk with a paint roller, maybe with a bit of thinner.

For a more utilitarian coating, you might be able to spray or roll a good gloss enamel over Softlite or other foam. Whatever you use, make some test patches first to make sure it works as expected. Plasti-Dip made real Ensolite foam shrink, but was OK on Softlite. Other foams may not hold paint or glue.

I also looked at using Naugahyde, but I hate the smell of PVC. Naugahyde and a couple of other companies make polyurethane faux-leather products, but these are all cloth backed and require a bit of skill to apply. I'm lazy and would rather roll or spray something on. Still, having a fake ostrich leather interior might be kinda cool. http://www.miamicorp.com/customer/mi...%20ostrich.pdf
Jon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb Rhino Lining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoob View Post
Was wondering if any of you guys put in anything other than ensolite? Wanted to give it some colour on the inside, but was wondering what options are avaliable to me?
Check out this link:
Gray Rhino Lining
Old 09-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #5

Name: ronny
Trailer: 74 boler
British Columbia
thats exactly what i was looking for

Now I'm removing the ensolite tomorrow, does anyone know how to get rid of all the black blue/mildewy stuf it leaves behind? I was thinking i very quick swipe of a wire wheel grinder might do the trick??!?
thenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation Be vewwy vewwy careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoob View Post
I was thinking i very quick swipe of a wire wheel grinder might do the trick??!?
Keep a very light touch. I tried that once and before I knew it, I had a hole to patch!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Volkswagen Golf TDI
Noob, Simson,

I used a cup-shaped knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder to remove the more stubborn areas of Ensolite and used a plain old narrow putty scraper where it was a bit looser. The cup brush did a reasonable job, and I didn't come anywhere near grinding through the shell. Now, if you're using that grinder and wire brush to get every bit of glue and foam off, you might do some real damage. That's why I used the Peel-Away stripper once the bulk of the foam was off. If you do use a wire wheel or any other power tool, definitely wear a dust mask and goggles to protect yourself from glass particles. I used my old 3M Power Visor dust filtration face shield (no longer made) so I wouldn't ruin my good Trend Airshield Pro. Airware America - Trend Airshield Pro Seems like a pain and a lot of money for protection, but how much are your lungs and eyes worth to you?

I thought about Rhino Liner, too. I was going to have my frame sprayed with it since it was off the shell, but that stuff is just too expensive IMHO. After having it blasted and epoxy primed, I rollered Herculiner Herculiner Truck Bed Liners (currently on sale at lots of places) on instead. I started thinking about using their white version inside, but this stuff is kind of lumpy due to the ground rubber in it. It looked like it might become a dirt trap. Maybe if I spray it on with an HVLP system, it will come out smoother. I wish I could buy that paint minus the rubber crumbs. I'll experiment with my leftover black Herculiner and some samples of Softlite to see if I can create a smoother finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Rear Hercliner.jpeg  
Jon W is offline   Reply With Quote