OT: stuck bolt/nut combo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010090.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	27502

Name:	P1010089.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	27503

This bolt is stuck because I can't get hold of the nut to stop it from turning, and the plastic it is recessed into to stop it from turning is stripped. Any ideas? There really isn't room to get a hacksaw in. I can turn the bolt but the nut turns, too. Tried WD40.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
What about drilling it out from the bolt side?
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #3

Registry
That might be do-able except it is a swivel wheel and I don't have a vice (and would be afraid of breaking the plastic if I did), so no really good way to hold it while I try to drill, and it is a pretty thick bolt. So what I should say is, someone might be able to do that but I don't think I can.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Chisel and hammer to remove the plastic part? If it's stripped you'll probably replace it anyway??

What part is this from?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #5

Registry
It's not stripped, just stuck. And I can't replace the part, or at least I don't know how, its from this.

Name:	Merlin_April_10.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	27508

I'm trying to put in the original sized wheel which is a bit bigger than the pink ones shown. The other wheel was fine. I think I might be able to get the swivel wheel off if I have the wheel out as there is a screw in the base of it- but I can't take the chance of breaking it and then not being able to replace it. I'll have to try with the one that does come loose and see if that's how to remove it- if so I might find a different one to work.

(Not so OT... it has fiberglass parts- the sides- and is a recreational vehicle.. but not molded fiberglass.)
Attached Thumbnails
Merlin_april_10_4wheel.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
Quote:
That might be do-able except it is a swivel wheel and I don't have a vice (and would be afraid of breaking the plastic if I did), so no really good way to hold it while I try to drill, and it is a pretty thick bolt. So what I should say is, someone might be able to do that but I don't think I can.
Just a thought, you do not have to drill out the entire bolt, just the head of the bolt, then push the rest of it through. Do you have a Dremel or Dremel like tool? A Dremel with a grinding bit should have no problem grinding off the head.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=44141

FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Drilling and/or grinding will maybe make the bolt hot enough to melt the plastic. Also once the drill catches on the metal bolt, the bolt will probably begin to spin in the hole.

The dremel has an abrasive cut off disc that would probably cut the nut in two. Keeping the plastic cool when doing so is imperative ( use water ). Of course this will also split the end of the bolt, but that can probably be replaced. Also this will leave a slit in the plastic but will probably not be deep enough to matter.

In any case, good luck.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #8

Registry
The head is recessed, too, so cutting it off isn't possible and I think drilling it out would just cause the nut to spin.

Slicing through everything is a possibility, though I'm afraid of the plastic housing breaking. Maybe I can tape it to try to prevent that. It appears to be heavy molded plastic but is only about 1/4-3/8 inch thick. I took the other wheel off and the swivel housing appears to be riveted on so removing it isn't trivial, it would involve a bunch of stuff.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 75 Trillium 13 ft
You should be able to drill the head of the screw off and push the bolt though (as suggested)

Otherwise, looking at the nut, it looks like you have some room to score the plastic around the nut, and possibly get a pair of needle nose pliers in to put some traction on the nut while you turn the screw.
Liz&Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #10

Registry
This is similar to many trailer issues in that I don't want to do anything that will leave the wheels not working if it goes wrong- they work now, just not as well as I'd like. If I get into something I can't fix, then they won't work at all. I've thought of trying a Dremel cutoff wheel on the bolt from the inside (inside the housing) but that has that issue- if I get partway through and can't cut through, what happens?

The bolt is probably stainless steel. I don't know how that affects hardness.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #11

Registry
The needle nose pliers aren't quite what I need... what I need are "chisel-nosed" pliers.. something with a fine, square end! I can get a small screwdriver in one side but it won't hold so some kind of pliers might help. I tried filing down the plastic to get a grip on the nut with pliers but its pretty hard and again, I'm afraid of wrecking the housing.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
The needle nose pliers aren't quite what I need... what I need are "chisel-nosed" pliers.. something with a fine, square end! I can get a small screwdriver in one side but it won't hold so some kind of pliers might help. I tried filing down the plastic to get a grip on the nut with pliers but its pretty hard and again, I'm afraid of wrecking the housing.
Bobbie:
Tile Nippers (the kind to nip ceramic tile to shape etc) looks like it may work for you and can be purchased in any of the home depot's etc or you can dremel a groove into one side of the nut and then hold it still with a flat head screw driver while you work the other philips head side loose.... just a few backyard idea's.
Hope you get it!
Joe

Name:	P1010057.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	27509

Name:	P1010061.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	27510

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Can't you take the whole wheel assembly and bracket off and replace it? Looks like there should be a chair swivel substitute.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bobby Mayer... Is there enough room around the nut end of the bolt to insert some popsicle sticks around the hex nut to prevent it from spinning in the hole???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. I hate stuff that's done...not to be undone!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Good idea Alf,
Makes me think of using 2 thin flat screwdrivers vice gripped onto a similar sized nut so the blades stick out a bit and tapping it into place between the plastic and nut.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Can't you take the whole wheel assembly and bracket off and replace it? Looks like there should be a chair swivel substitute.
I haven't figured out how to do that. The swivel part is rivited or something into an aluminum block. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to remove it.

My latest idea is to superglue the nut into position in the plastic and then try turning the bolt. If that doesn't work drilling or cutting a notch in the nut and holding it in place might be the next thing to try. Or Roy's idea sounds good.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
If you can find information about the manufacturer somewhere on the unit, and perhaps a model number, you might try to get a replacement directly from the manufacturer. The prosthetic appears to be a modern device, so probably still being manufactured. If so, I would get two new replacements, just in case.

Nice Pembroke!

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
After a closer look at the photograph, I would suggest yoiu take a dremel tool with a VERY small grinder and grind out the remaining plastic that was stripped, and then widen the groove all around the recessed nut. Keep grinding the groove wider ( but NOT deeper) until you can fit a thin-walled socket over the nut.

You probably should first remove the other caster wheel and disassemble it to make sure how thick the plastic is, so you know how deep you can safely grind the groove on the damaged one without destroying the broken unit.

If that works, I would further suggest you do the same grind job on the other one, so you never have to rely upon a 1/16 of an inch of cheap plastic again to hold the nut while you unscrew the screw (bolt).

Good luck,

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:21 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
If it is stripped. Can you get some gorilla glue or resin down around it to tighten it up? How about sone instant glue and let it seep in and leave it to set for a bit?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
If it is stripped. Can you get some gorilla glue or resin down around it to tighten it up? How about sone instant glue and let it seep in and leave it to set for a bit?
That's what I have tried but I haven't put it to the test yet.