Our new addition! Needing all the help we can get! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #1

Name: west
Trailer: Scamper Camper
Washington
Our new addition! Needing all the help we can get!

Hey everyone we just bought a 1979 16ft with the bathroom option scamp camper. we live in the north west so its been pretty hit hard by rust and water damage however I have gutted it down to ply wood floors and only have the fiberglass inserts left in it. I am trying to figure out a little bit more about the electrical. Look like a previous owner installed a newer electrical outlet which works but none of the lights on the inside work…

Also where is the electric water pump located?

I'll be posting pictures soon but one last thing. THe previous owner had all the windows taken out of it and polished but now I need to reinstall them. How do I do that is there a certain type of hardware I should buy for fiberglass? none of the old screws were left for me.

Thanks guys! Any help would be great!!
The Garrisons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Water pump is under the rear dinette seat , passenger side. You need butyl tape to seal the Windows. The lights are 12 VDC so they are fed from the converter either by the 12 VDC rectifier in the converter or the trailer battery.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks Steve! I found a similar type of tape at the home depot. I also spent the day scrubbing the interior and painting. The previous owner used some type of insert with a screw. I have the older aluminum crank windows and I bought some small bolts and nuts but I am afraid they won't quite look right…

Any suggestions on the hardware?
Attached Thumbnails
scamp doors.jpg   scamp and me.jpg  

IMG_4262.jpg   IMG_4264.jpg  

Old 04-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Name: Mark
Trailer: Escape 19
California
In that second pic, I see you're grinnin ear to ear. This will be a fun project that will give you a camper you'll be able to take to many places, meet lots of wonderful people and gain experiences of a lifetime.

Take your time, ask questions and post pics of the progress. We all enjoy seeing a labor of love moving along. You have many others that share your enthusiasm and are a wealth of information.

Good luck and enjoy,
Mark
Marks Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't know what you found at your home depot, but none of the ones I shop in have the right kind of tape for RV use. The "Tape" you want is more like a strip of sealing putty than like bonding tape. And sealing those windows right the first time is about the most important task you will ever do in your project.
BTW: You will also want to remove and reseal that roof vent while you are at it.

An RV shop will have the right size and length screws as well, They vary and to long, to short or to small won't hold the seal properly. And, if you bought steel or plated brass screws & nuts, and they are on the outside, they will rust and make stains. You want stainless steel hardware on the outside.

I suggest trying your local RV shop or on line, such as at etrailer.com. and tell them you want tape for sealing the windows.

Where are you at in WA?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Butyl Tape ++

I just bought a 3/4" x 40' roll of Butyl tape off of Amazon.com for about $8.00. I have some minor repairs to do on my recently acquired 16 foot. Mine is a 2003 and needs new rivets, as the snap caps wore off and the most of the washers around the rivets are broken or gone. I admire your taking on such a big job, hopefully your efforts will be richly rewarded. This is a good forum to get help on, another source for good advice, albeit a smaller group, is Scamp Owners International.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
You're not in Idaho, are you? I know of one 16ft for sale at a righteous price, but I haven't posted yet because I'm coveting it like crazy!

Cathy
CBinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
I'm in So. CA. After seeing pictures and talking with the owner I bought my Scamp from I sent him a $200 non refundable PayPal deposit and set up a day & time to see the trailer. I drove 1,100 miles to Colorado and bought it. If your closer you could skip the up front deposit. Go and look at the trailer you like, the sooner the better; the "good ones go fast."
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ian G. may be able to help you with what you need for the window hardware. In the meantime, check out his website for help. Bolers use the same jalousie windows as your vintage Scamp: Proud Canadian
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #10

Washington
Thank you guys for all help. I'll do my best to keep you posted with plenty of pictures..

I found the putty tape in the weather stripping section of HD. So far I have 3 windows in and more to go…(loving the older crank windows they're the real deal) Pictures coming soon! I used a #8-32 3/4 SS bolt with SS nuts and am now plagued with and ugly interior… Thinking about using SS screw and connecting it to a wood trim piece in the interior.. Any thoughts, Concerns? but for now my goal is to get scampy in the dry.

I also have done two coats of paint in the interior and will probably take two more.. we went with a straight white.. so going a little off the original path (but don't worry we won't go too far)

Also just made my first order off of scamp can't wait for the new gear!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 10.14.34 AM.png  
Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

Washington
Im located in Vancouver WA, aka Portland OR
Old 04-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Your story mirrors mine

Wow, just read your thread and it seemed familiar. Just ran out to Iowa and back from NY (33 hrs driving in less than 48 hrs) to pick up a 1996 Scamp. Read on this site the need to be ready to jump on the right deal quickly. The scamp I picked up was already gutted by a gentleman working on it as a project, then his direction change. I plan on taking over where he left off. Lots of work to be done but lots of potential. Will follow what your doing and how your attacking the problems that will come up. This looks like a great place with tons of knowledgeable individuals willing to help.

Oh Yeah need to change my login name to Rocknscamp now
rocknboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garrisons View Post
Im located in Vancouver WA, aka Portland OR
Welcome to the neighborhood! Come to the Fall NOG, you'll meet neighbors!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5-a-67670.html

You're invited to Spring NOG too, but currently all the sites are full. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-65416.html

Fun times ahead!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to FGRV West