Oven Thermostat Clip - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #1

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Oven Thermostat Clip

The clip that holds the interior thermostat probe (not sure exactly what it's called) broke. In case it helps to see what I'm talking about, here's a shot inside the oven with it missing and the thermostat laying on the oven rack, and a photo of what's left of the clip. This must be the part that goes in the hole, with the clip to hold the thermostat broken off and lost. The round hole just under the rectangular opening is where it should attach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3138.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	134458

Name:	IMG_3150.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	134459

I can't find anything like this online. I'm guessing I need to make something work. Next time I'm in a town with a bigger hardware store I can wander the aisles looking for something that could work. In the meantime, anyone have ideas of how to rig this?

It's not a huge deal, since I'm not doing any sophisticated baking in my oven. Still, it would be nice to secure the thermostat.

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
The clip that holds the interior thermostat probe (not sure exactly what it's called) broke. In case it helps to see what I'm talking about, here's a shot inside the oven with it missing and the thermostat laying on the oven rack, and a photo of what's left of the clip. This must be the part that goes in the hole, with the clip to hold the thermostat broken off and lost. The round hole just under the rectangular opening is where it should attach.

Attachment 134458

Attachment 134459

I can't find anything like this online. I'm guessing I need to make something work. Next time I'm in a town with a bigger hardware store I can wander the aisles looking for something that could work. In the meantime, anyone have ideas of how to rig this?

It's not a huge deal, since I'm not doing any sophisticated baking in my oven. Still, it would be nice to secure the thermostat.
Check with 5 Star RV Parts in Henderson CO phone 303-659-1725 or 800-222-6737 They have used and new RV parts and some unusual stuff for RV's. Google- Used RV Parts to find other sources also.

Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
I don't see why you couldn't make a little piece of metal strap, or flashing material, wrap it around the probe and screw it onto the oven wall with a small sheet metal screw. A short piece of plumbers tape, for instance.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #4

Montana
Registry
Those both sound like workable ideas.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't see why you couldn't make a little piece of metal strap, or flashing material, wrap it around the probe and screw it onto the oven wall with a small sheet metal screw. A short piece of plumbers tape, for instance.
I was thinking of a little twist of mechanic's wire or a paper clip.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I'm not sure how a mild steel will hold up in the high temperatures inside an oven. However, it would be easy and cheap to replace that over time.

It looks similar to the spring steel clips they used to install the inner panels on vehicle doors. Our local Ace Hardware has a pretty good supply of unique fasteners which is maintained and serviced by a specialty vendor. I always like finding a treasure there that will do the job buck or two.

Grapevine Sally has something that "might" work for $8.99 plus $3.90 shipping.

https://grapevinesally.com/2-new-ove...pillary-clips/

GetRVParts.com has an Atwood Wedgewood | 51087 | RV Range Stove Oven Thermostat Bulb Clip for $6.82 + $2.84 delivery.

Stove and Range Parts - Atwood Wedgewood Stove, Range Parts - GetRVParts

Searching Google images for "oven thermostat clip" (no quote marks) seemed to bring up a good variety of devices - and prices.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #7

Montana
Registry
Thanks everyone. Mike I had seen that second link in my searches. Closest thing I found to what I need online. The first link could also work.

I had considered using the thin metal wire that might be used for hanging things on walls...not sure. I've used it to fix things in the past. But Mike brings up the point I've worried about, which is what types of metal are safe for an oven? Every sheet metal screw in my local Ace is zinc. I haven't googled whether it's safe yet.

The Ace in the town I used to live in and still visit pretty often is larger and has the section you describe with all the different clips and hardware, and that's where I plan to search if I still need something by the next time I'm in town.

Thanks for the ideas. I did find the rest of the broken clip. I'll make something work.

Name:	IMG_3151.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	134560
Old 05-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
All of the local Ace's here have Stainless sheet metal screws.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Stainless steel is always safe. And plentiful. Zinc plated steel is galvanized steel. We all drink water from galvanized pipes all the time. The hardware stores are full of galvanized pipe fittings designed to carry drinking water. Zinc melts at about 1,700 degrees F. Plain steel is fine up to about 2,500 degrees F. The oven will struggle to get to 500 F. But steel will rust if moisture is present.

No need to overthink this. Just make or find some kind of simple clip. Snap it into that hole or screw it on. It might be a piece of copper wire stripped from a piece of romex, a paper clip, a piece of bailing wire, plumbers tape, an old spring, a snipped off piece of galvanized flashing, a modified pen pocket clip, the spring from a clothes pin, a nail, or anything else adaptable to the task.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #10

Montana
Registry
Overthinking things is my MO. But I agree with your point.

I have very little experience, but an active mind. I didn't grow up doing projects and learning about these sorts of things, so I naturally have a ton of questions because I don't have the common sense for projects that comes from years of doing them. Which, other than causing projects to take longer, and creating too many multi-page threads, probably serve me well, and saves me from making too many silly and/or costly and/or dangerous mistakes.

Once I have some basic parameters, I'm happy to move forward. But I do want to make sure I'm not putting something in the oven that will off-gas or otherwise cause problems.