overnight condensation under bedding - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 AM   #1

Name: Daryl and Wendy
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
overnight condensation under bedding

We are experiencing condensation between our bedding and the top of the arborite table top. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you minimise the condensation?

We fold down the table top, place the cushions on the top and our bedding (sleeping bags) on the cushions. In the morning the top of the table and bottom of the cushions are very damp, if not wet.

We sleep ‘cool’ but do have some heat on overnight, both gas and electric space heater. We tried adding blankets between the bedding and cushions, and also between the cushions and table top. The surface that is against the table top is wet in our various trials.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just ordered a piece of this to try out, supposed to work for this issue.
Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ive seen the hypervent at asailboat trade show and it looks really good. Another thing that will help with that problem and make your bed even more comfortable is Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC Im sure Thom will chime in on this one! Gives your bed a boxspring feel and will allow air to easily flow under your mattress so condensation will be a thing of the past!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Condensation on the west coast is an issue for all of us - only time it isnt, is in the short dog days of summer.

The Hypervent looks interesting but in the meantime leaving a window or vent slightly open is the only solution I have found to cutting down on the condensation. Running the propane heater will always result in more condensation that the electric heater as well. I know a few people who claim a mini dehumidifier such as this one help as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

Name: Clark & 9ah
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
For many years, we have used Hypervent under our fabric-covered mattresses on our boat. We live aboard in the PNW for 6-7 months each year. We also wintered aboard for 3 years, anchored out (no shore power). Condensation was a huge problem until we got the Hypervent. Basically, the painted plywood underneath the bunk still gets wet, but the bedding and upholstery stay dry. It has saved our sanity. Hypervent does not compress flat when you are sitting or sleeping, allowing air to circulate. We also use Hypervent inside lockers against the hull, preventing whatever is hanging there from getting mildewed.

In other words, we highly recommend it! We will probably be getting Hypervent for Miss Trilly to protect our new cushion fabrics.

9ah
svrikki.net
Clark and 9ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

Name: Daryl and Wendy
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
It sounds like Hypervent would be the next thing to try. It may at least keep the condensation on the table top, and minumize moisture in the cushions or bedding. I do not understand the thermodynamics - I'd have thought the air under the table would be warm enough that condensation wouldn't be an issue?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I have used dri-deck under my bed. Www.dri-deck.com

Would really like to try Hypervent on my front bunk. Not sure how the area would vent due to the slight lip on the edge. This moisture problem is only a problem for me. Fred keeps dry over on his bed. I am always propping up my bed.

My cushion is not wrapped in plastic. Fred's is the original from Scamp and has the thin plastic inside. That must act as a vapor block....but then I would think his bedding would be damp. Just blame it in warm body. Kick your mate out of bed and see if the problem goes away!

Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl and Wendy View Post
It sounds like Hypervent would be the next thing to try. It may at least keep the condensation on the table top, and minumize moisture in the cushions or bedding. I do not understand the thermodynamics - I'd have thought the air under the table would be warm enough that condensation wouldn't be an issue?
If I understand you right, the condensation is between the cushions and the tabletop they're sitting on- there's no air circulation there, which may be why moisture's condensing. At least that's what goes on in my trailer....

I guess Hypervent solves that problem by making an air gap... I don't know how expensive it is, but there may be other materials that would work just as well so long as they're sort of "open weave".

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
Francesca, click on my link, they have the prices, not too expensive, mine is supposed to be here today.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #10

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
I think we all experience this... it just bugs some people more than others.

It bothered me so I tried different bed configurations to see what made a difference on the rear goucho of our old Boler 1700.

I think it goes without saying that the warmer temperature, the less condensation we experienced, so on those cool spring/fall nights I discovered the following:

layered from bottom to top:
  • plywood, cushions, 2 blankets, fitted sheet - plenty of condensation and we had to prop up the cushions to dry in the morning
  • plywood, wool blanket, cushions, 2 blankets, fitted sheet - less condensation, plus only the wool blanket got a bit damp, not the cushions
  • plywood, wool blanket, cushions, sleeping bag with plastic outer layer facing down, blanket, fitted sheet - even less condensation
Basically, the more layers between the person and the plywood, the less heat gets to the plywood to create condensation. I only really confirmed what I already suspected. The wool blanket we put between the wood and the cushions made the biggest difference and was most convenient. We just had to remove the blanket and use one piece of paper towel to wipe the little bit of moisture off the painted plywood. It saved us from drying out the cushions in the morning which was the biggest hassle.

One thing I wanted to try, but never got around to was:
  • plywood, cushions, thin foil emergency blanket, 2 blankets, sheet
I wondered if this would help reflect more of the heat and do a better job of preventing condensation but didn't get a chance to try it out.

btw: if you were wondering, I always used 2 blankets under me because I don't like to feel the piping or seams between cushions.

It looks like hypervent might be good. Still have to wipe down in the morning, but nothing to dry out! I'll have to check that out.

CLARK: Does the hypervent roll up for storage? I figure we could leave it under the cushions of the dinette seats but just have to store the piece that would go on the table top.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #11

Name: Clark & 9ah
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
HyperVent experience

Quote:
CLARK: Does the hypervent roll up for storage? I figure we could leave it under the cushions of the dinette seats but just have to store the piece that would go on the table top.
It does roll up, but it's a bit bulky and "prickly" on the spun polymer side. The top is a nonwoven, moisture resistant fabric that protects the cushion material from snagging on the prickly part. It is extremely lightweight. See HyperVent Marine.

On the boat, we leave the HyperVent in place all the time. In the Trillium, we would leave it in place, too––we have a full size mattress. If you are breaking down the bed and putting up the table daily, you could store the piece for the tabletop easily. It's 39" wide, which allows us to use two pieces under our bunk. We buy it from Fisheries Supply in Seattle, which is slightly less than buying direct from HyperVent, which is in Marysville WA.

HyperVent just works.

Clark
svrikki.net
Clark and 9ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
We use our MAX-FAN on low day and night so the moisture leaves the trailer via the fan.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
The problem with that set up is when it is 10 degrees outside you are also pumping out heat in addition to moisture. My Hypevent arrived today from Connecticut. Going to install this weekend.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Darryl and Wendy, we had the same problem and couldn't figure out why it was doing that, but here is what we do, it's simple, inexpensive & it works. Just fold a beach towel in half, put it on the table & it soaks up the moisture and it doesn't go into the cushion. What little dampness is in the towel will air dry in no time & it's ready for the next night. No storage issues either which can be a problem in our 13 footers!
John Hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #15

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
What i am learning about fiberglass trailers is they lack insulation and that's your main problem. You have cold air coming from some where and I am betting it from under the bed area. Maybe the floor or the storage under the seats. Fix that problem and I bet the water goes away. With my total rebuild I am planing to insulate my trailer to the max and I hope I won't have condensation. Good luck!
Sam
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I was thinking a small heater under the dinette table when it is a bed. No?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
What about a fan to blow some of the heat from the furnace to under the bed?

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #18

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
This is what I used under my cushions and on the floor of all my storage areas to help with condensation. I found the Dry Floor Tile at Walmart and the Multy Tile at Canadian Tire. A window and a vent opens helps too.

Karen
Attached Images

Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What about wearing depends.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'd like to say that it's my belief that condensation under pads isn't necessarily related to body moisture (SWEAT, Darwin! )

I've seen it under my dinette cushions when camped alone and no one's been sitting/sleeping there at all.

Circulation/insulation seem to me to be key, and the several suggestions here for improving those sure sound spot on to me!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote