Ownership - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: Ventura & Prowler
Ontario
Ownership

I bought Ventura trailer and when I went to pick it was told the ownership had been lost and they did not produce one. When I went to register it was told that the vin number and registration number I had didn’t have enough numbers in it. I redid the inside in pine and cedar , cute little trailer. Could someone with a little 13ft Ventura trailer please tell me how many numbers are in their vin number. Thank you or any suggestions on a getting an ownership. Thanks
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Roger, I had a conversation with someone else from Ontario, who had purchased a Trillium. The registration people said the same thing to him. There is a Trillium on the serial number list with a serial number that is 13-6:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post680419

I wonder what they would say about that? He is in BC. In Alberta, where I live, they will register any serial number that is on a hand written bill of sale. Gota love the wild west.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
Hand written BOS's have never been an issue for me either, but things they seem to be a changin...

Sandblasted my frame and found the original serial number. It matches the registration card from the fellow we bought it from, and the bill of sale.

Tried to register it a couple days ago so I can take it to the Yukon THIS Saturday.

Admittedly, it's been sitting on a concrete pad since we bought it in '05, but I was told by License and Registry and AMA that I would need to have the trailer "re-vin ed"....at a cost of $175+tax before I can register it.

What irritates me the most is getting two different stories as to "why".

If the other fellow still had it, the three digit number would still be just fine...

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: Escape
New York
Registry
Not sure if it helps in Canada, But I was a Police Officer for 20 years, and had a few people needing VIN verifications done by our department. We had pre-printed forms done up, that we could look at the VIN, and fill out the form and give it to you, and DMV would use that here in NY. But it seemed they needed someone to write it and witness it officially. It also made a permanent record of it locally, even if it were a small thing.
Had one guy trying to register an ARGO utility vehicle, and they were not usually able to be registered in NY, and his VIN matched a stolen Yamaha ATV in Florida. DMV accepted my report as, proof it was not one in the same vehicle. Hope it Helps. Pete
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The issue here is a lack of knowledge on the part of the person behind the counter. The early vintage travel trailers did not have a VIN number, instead the manufacture of them registered them with a serial number. There are not all that many vintage travel trailers with an orginal trailer frame on them out there still on the road so it is not surprising that there are clerks who are clueless as to the facts of they don't need a VIN number to register them. Tell them to call the office and talk to an old timer who has been around for a while and knows all about how to register a vintage travel trailer.

But if you do end up having to go through the process of paying to get a VIN number for it well that is well described by the old standby quote...."live and learn". Plus that quote "sometimes you just get lucky" meaning sometimes you get a sensible clerk who makes things happen despite it being out of standard and sometimes you don't.

My trailer has the serial number in the VIN space on the title. When questioned by a clerk about it I explain that age of trailer was not given a VIN number that it is always registered by the serial number. They shrug and let it pass since I had the previous owner's title with me as well as the bill of sale. Of course I also had the PO go to the DMV with me so there was no question of a legal ownership transfer from them to me.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #6

Ontario
Thank you David, I have been getting the run around one needs one thing and then when you go back you need something else . Thanks for your help.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #7

Ontario
Thanks
Old 07-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #8

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Obviously, every province/jurisdiction will have different rules and procedures but, in Manitoba, I was able to register my Ventura easily by referring to it as vintage and explaining the lack of official documentation. The seller had put the serial number on the bill of sale and that seemed to satisfy the clerk.
My serial number is 65T355.
Hope this helps.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In the USA, the NHTSA put into law a rule that VIN numbers had to be 17 digits starting in 1981. This rule includes trailers. Like KC says, the older trailers were not required to have a VIN number. I suppose Canada is using that law also, therefore the clerk stating there were not enough numbers, although in error.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
In the USA, the NHTSA put into law a rule that VIN numbers had to be 17 digits starting in 1981. This rule includes trailers. Like KC says, the older trailers were not required to have a VIN number. I suppose Canada is using that law also, therefore the clerk stating there were not enough numbers, although in error.
I do not believe so. I only registered my trailer a few years ago and had no problem with only a serial number. I would be surprised if our federal government became involved in that kind of legislation. Provinces may very well differ in their requirements though.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I just went through the same scenario with a vintage Motorcycle in Ontario, as previously stated as of 1981, all vins are supposed to be 17 digit. prior to that they were whatever the manufacturer saw fit.
go back to the service canada office, you will need a bill of sale, a used vehicle information package, and if the previous owner had it registered at all, they will need to apply for a replacement ownership. If they didn't register it, you may need to go to a justice of the peace with the previous owner and have a notarized document made stating the vin, and the sale particulars.

Good luck, and don't give up

joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura