Packing the bearings? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

Name: Carinna
Trailer: Boler
Tacoma
Packing the bearings?

Hi! We bought a 1970 Boler on Craigslist and now we’re supposed to pack the bearings and I have called a few auto mechanics and a few RV service places and they’ve told me it’s too old and they won’t do it. Is this normal? I’m in Tacoma. Should I keep calling places or should we try to figure out how to DIY it?
tarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Trailers don't get "too old" for bearing repacking.

And yes, you should learn how to do it yourself. Essentially, you'll remove the wheels and hubs, remove the seals and the bearings. Thoroughly clean the bearings in solvent, inspect them for damage, and if in good shape, repack them. Clean out the old grease from in the hub and install new seals. The races don't need to be removed unless they are damaged or you are going to replace the bearings. You can pull out the seals and go to NAPA, or etrailer to get new ones. Don't try to re-use the old seals. Use a quality grease, like Lucas Red and Tacky, for instance

There is more to it than that, but those are the high points.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:20 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Help

There must be several hundred if not several thousand people in Tacoma that understand Wheel bearings better than the rookie mechanics you have contacted. Go to a car show and ask around and I’m sure you’ll get either offers to help you show you or a recommendation of someone who will do your work for a reasonable price. That’s my take.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Any utility trailer shop will re-pack bearings, replace bearings, service the brakes (if your trailer has brakes), replace the axle, replace leaf springs, etc. Or you can do it yourself. The parts are available at any utility trailer shop, or at etrailer dot com and other online sources.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvin View Post
Hi! We bought a 1970 Boler on Craigslist and now we’re supposed to pack the bearings and I have called a few auto mechanics and a few RV service places and they’ve told me it’s too old and they won’t do it. Is this normal? I’m in Tacoma. Should I keep calling places or should we try to figure out how to DIY it?
There is a tutorial on E-trailer. Also find any old guy with handy skills to learn the nuances from as he supervises.
It certainly is NOT normal.
Try a boat place. Your bearings the same as a boat trailer. maybe they can do it for you.

If your trailer is before the 1990s be sure and check the spindle size.
1970s and some 1980s have a straight 1" spindle... newer than that would have 1-1/16" spindles .
Clean your bearings and check the part #s.
New bearings with seal will be in blister packs at your local boat shop if you need them, which is not likely.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Question - so what impact does extended sitting have on the bearings ? Should we worry?

Thanks - John - Colorado Springs
jaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I never worry about stuff like this, just do the maintenance. Life is too short to waste energy worrying. Bearing repacking is an annual maintenance task. Many don't do it annually, but that is the standard recommendation.

Its one of those pay me now, or pay me a lot more later kind of thing. Easy to do yourself, plenty of you tube videos. If neglected they could lead to an expensive failure.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaevans View Post
Question - so what impact does extended sitting have on the bearings ? Should we worry?

Thanks - John - Colorado Springs
When a trailer is towed often, the grease gets circulated and warmed up.
This helps prevent condensation build up in the hubs and keeps the grease stirred up.
Moisture can cause rust which can cause spalling over time.
Especially on larger trailers, extended setting in one spot can actually stress the bearings just from the weight.
The word Extended is not precise but it would mean more than a few months, depending on the conditions of storage.

Typically , for instance a utility trailer which has been left outside in the yard and exposed to the elements without being used for more than a year sometimes longer is likely to suffer some damage, which will accumulate over several storage periods.
Tires suffer from long term parking as well for some of the same reasons.

If you have good storage for your Fiberglass camper and use it a few times a year , then sitting is not generally an issue.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:45 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
After reading this thread, the moronic BS some people tell others just boggles my mind. I mean “too old?” Give me a break!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #10

Name: Murray
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Spindle Bad

I packed the bearings on 1 wheel yesterday and the spindle looks damaged to me. What do others think?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2155.jpg  
mhewines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
After reading this thread, the moronic BS some people tell others just boggles my mind. I mean “too old?” Give me a break!

Yes, Way to many cooks in the kitchen that give advice they really don’t know anything about. Just like, I read it on the internet it must be real.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Perhaps when they say "too old" they are anticipating more problems than they want to deal with. In that case, it really is too old.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Not sure whether the spindle is OK or not. To get a professional opinion, I suggest Les Schwaub. They have repacked the bearings and checked/replaced tires on my 1942 utility trailer and on my 1970 Campster.

They were amused that they found felt seals on the utility trailer. They hadn't seen those in 20 or so years. Guess it was time to get it done.
Quote:
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhewines View Post
I packed the bearings on 1 wheel yesterday and the spindle looks damaged to me. What do others think?
It looks salvageable from the picture....

Take a piece of crocus cloth and smooth out any really rough or sharp areas.
They don't have to be perfect as long as the bearing race fits relatively snugly in place. then pack and install your new bearings.
Be sure the spindle is straight and that the inner race on the outer bearing has no more than a few thousandths of slack.
Be sure and replace the races in the hub as well since they may be damaged.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Why on earth would anyone want to service a 50 year old axle? Replace it! It's long overdue, by about 30+ years, for replacement. They don't last forever, and FWIW, I myself wouldn't even trust riding on a 50 year old axle. Just my two cents.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
No such thing as too old! Maintenance is another matter.
Call a shop that isn't a franchise and make their living from service.
Packing the bearings is simple lots a YouTube vids to learn from.
Fred
Old 10-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Where do you think it is damaged? Looks good to me.
Fred
Old 10-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #18

Name: Murray
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Ridges

There are pronounced ridges (easier to see if you blow up the picture) in the couple of inches before it tapers down, and then also in the smaller diameter part before the threads. The ridges are not even and appear to have nicks out of them. The retaining nut was on very tight and so I wondered if the bearing had locked up?
mhewines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You will sleep better just going ahead and replacing the parts (Both Sides)
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
There are pronounced ridges (easier to see if you blow up the picture) in the couple of inches before it tapers down, and then also in the smaller diameter part before the threads. The ridges are not even and appear to have nicks out of them. The retaining nut was on very tight and so I wondered if the bearing had locked up?
There's only 3-4 spots anything contacts the spindle
1) the inner seal face needs to be smooth to seal
2) inner bearing face needs to accept the bearing race
3) outter bearing face needs to accept the bearing race
4) threads need to accept a nut.
The spindle needs to be decent straight.
Was there any problem with the wheel rotating before disassembly?
I doubt there is a problem with the spindle, problems are generated by lack of or improper bearing maintenance.
Fred