Paint orange peel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2021, 09:30 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: 45' allegro bus 45 - 73 13' boler
British Columbia
Paint orange peel

Hello folks. I am at the point of final paint for the inside FG cabinets/fixtures of my 73' 13' boler. I have repaired all the FG, done all my plywood reinforcements, gelcoat and primer. I have sanded to a 220. I recently applied a Total Boat topside oyster white thinned out to roughly 12%. I rolled and tipped with total boat recommended roller and brush. Very nice product, I can see the value. However this am when I checked on it, I could definitely see quite an orange peel. Also due to the high gloss you can see EVERY imperfection, be it a nick in the paint or just the wavy nature of the build of a Boler 1/8" FG cabinet. Not at all happy, I wet sanded for an hr + and most of the orange peel came off, some left on low spots.
My question is...when do I call it quits...should I simply get an oyster white flat or satin and not stress about a high gloss interior? The finish with the primer only, looks smooth and uniform, however if you were to paint that same primer with gloss it would look terrible.

Need some thoughts, most of me is thinking satin/flat finish.

Thanks veryone.
Sspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Every year I wash and then polish my 77 Boler with Zep floor polish. There is satisfaction in seeing the paint job gleam in the sun. I find flat finish to be too dull. It's a choice, and this is mine.
Attached Thumbnails
PorteauCove 2019.jpg  
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I would call Total Boat and ask for help. I have found them very helpful in the past. Did you use several thin coats of their product? Good luck.
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Well Scott I would just say that I'm a satin finish guy for the interior. Not a big fan of the bright reflective gloss so I did a satin for my interior. I like it but it's always personal preference.

Don't know if that helps you, but just my .02

Bob
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: Rob
Trailer: 77 Boler and in the market
Alberta
Orange Peel issues

I would check you tube on how to deal with orange peel. Some sites I watch are Sweet Project cars and Pharroway. They are car paint refinishers and show how to correct the problem. I think more lite wet sanding with super super fine sandpaper will remove. They also deal with fiberglass. They are my go to fellas. Worked for me. I have a 72 Boler. Hope this helps.

Rob from Canada
rogerramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #6

British Columbia
I only did one coat, it was thin yes. I didn't want to continue further with the issues I saw.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Did you do it outside where it got cold after you finished?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
zep floor wax works. orange peel paint is indiaction of another problem!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Did you do it outside where it got cold after you finished?
No it was inside, room temp.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #10

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
You are going to get that with most paints when you roll and tip. I painted an old Ramcharger with rustoleum and it took 8 coats and wet sanding between each coat. Came out great but it was a lot of work.
I have heard that Alexseal is supposed to flow out really good and barely need any sanding. They have an additive that helps it flow.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Fish eye is one of the major issues when cars are waxed with a product containing silicone. I wonder if that type of wax product was used in the interior of your trailer? I know it's extremely difficult to remove the silicone from paint, prior to painting...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:41 PM   #12

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
No one at the campsite is going to care.

Neither are you once you get there.

#don'tworry,behappy
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Not sure what is happening here. Paint is a mixture of pigment, resin and film formers suspended in a solvent. It is formulated to flatten on the surface it is applied to and form a continuous layer with good adhesion to the painted surface.
Different folks call different things "orange peel". If your paint has the surface texture of an orange, small wavy rounded bumps, you may have a prep problem. As previously mentioned, silicone from Armor All etc. can cause these problems. Kitchen cabinets may have residual grease. These things don't blend well with the paint, causing separation and the surface imperfections observed. It also impairs adhesion. That's why its important to wash these surfaces with TSP/degreaser etc. prior to sanding to avoid grinding these substances into the surface when sanding.
If you have more of a sandpaper finish it may have something to do with the actual paint mixture itself, especially if applied with a roller. Paint should be thinned enough, liquid enough, to flatten out on the painted surface. Thick paint won't do this sufficiently. If temp is higher, paint may be drying too quickly, before it can relax. If rolled too much, the surface of the paint which may already have started to "skin" over will be disturbed and may not flatten out as intended.
If surface contamination is an issue peeling will be evident when sanding. This may mean stripping and cleaning. If not you can keep applying successive layers of paint, sanding between each layer. This is very labor intensive but can produce a finish comparable to any shop finish.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #14

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Think of it like a golf ball. The little dimples help it fly farther.
Low drag finish for the EGG.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
mike the most amazing thing i ever saw was that guy who died on tv who rebuilt cars. he took and old woody used a badger brush and made the paint on wood look better than factory.

he was the guy that built the aluma tub and hated the guy who made wheels! did you ever see this?
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint