painted the 69 charger way - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300
well i have not been on for a while, but finally got the frame done.....but i did not take pics of the finished job.......duh,
anyway the bottom of the egg was prepped and painted as described by the 69 charger guy in their forum.
my pics are here.
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...ider_bc/BOLER/
look under "painting the egg"
only lower half done, some may remember the torn fiberglass corner.....ha, find it now, the repair looks awesome, and the paint just hides it all.
I could not remove the bolts holding the taillight sections, and the trailer was up and off the frame so I could not enter (worried about floor strength and my weight).

Steve
steve J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler (Corneleus)
Quote:
well i have not been on for a while, but finally got the frame done.....but i did not take pics of the finished job.......duh,
anyway the bottom of the egg was prepped and painted as described by the 69 charger guy in their forum.
my pics are here.
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...ider_bc/BOLER/
look under "painting the egg"
only lower half done, some may remember the torn fiberglass corner.....ha, find it now, the repair looks awesome, and the paint just hides it all.
I could not remove the bolts holding the taillight sections, and the trailer was up and off the frame so I could not enter (worried about floor strength and my weight).

Steve

wow that looks really great. Smooth, no bubbles or specks!!!

how much did it cost for you to do it and what did you do to the fiberglass to get it ready?

We will be painting in spring but are hoping to get everything prepped and ready before winter.

Also, would you consider using this paint on the fibreglass cabinets and inside bits?

Cheers
Ursula
ursulap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
wow that looks really great. Smooth, no bubbles or specks!!!

how much did it cost for you to do it and what did you do to the fiberglass to get it ready?

We will be painting in spring but are hoping to get everything prepped and ready before winter.

Also, would you consider using this paint on the fibreglass cabinets and inside bits?

Cheers
Ursula
Ursula: sorry it takes me so long to reply, I'm trying to get it prepped before winter sets in...
Yes I am really pleased with the paint job, no runs either.
all in all it cost me about $150 bucks, 2 gals of paint (2 colors) couple of liters paint thinner, foam rollers and a foam sponge thingy on a stick, and wet/dry sand paper.
Yes you could do the inside parts, be sure to sand then first, my job was made easier because the external body was already sanded, but I did try out the front seat sections, but I was also pleased with the finish there too.

of course you have to sand all surfaces to be painted, but just rough enough to get the paint to stick. I used a little rotary and vibrating sander with 60 grit

the trick is in the thinning...almost like water, and the wet sand between every second coat.
I did post a link but if you google 69 charger, well just wait...
ok heres a link.
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2785
now that is one sweet looking paint job.
PS:
finished painting the top white. I will post pics tomorrow.
Steve
Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
When that thread was first linked I read quite a few pages of it. Of course I got the gist right away, but then for some reason it was mildly addictive

Looking forward to your pics,

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
When that thread was first linked I read quite a few pages of it. Of course I got the gist right away, but then for some reason it was mildly addictive

Looking forward to your pics,

Raya
Raya: yes it did get mildly addictive for me also.