Painting Aluminum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Registry
Painting Aluminum

I finally have my 1975 Boler 13 restoration underway and have a question for those who have experience painting aluminum. Due to the exterior colors I have chosen I think that a gloss black belly band would look much better than polished aluminum. My understanding is that paint won't adhere well to aluminum without special preparations. Does anyone have experience with how well paint holds up on a belly band? I was thinking of a tsp wash followed by Tremclad primer and paint.
Randy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
On aircraft, we prep it with an etching solution then paint it with zink oxide then apply the final paint.
Go to your local airport where the small planes are and ask the mechanic.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Here's a thought: Clean the band off with rubbing alcohol and apply a colored tape. You can get vehicle molding tape at your local auto/boat supply dealer.

I use rubbing alcohol to clean off any surface that I apply decals or tape to. It's cheep and it gets all the body oil off that is left when U touch it.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Here's a thought: Clean the band off with rubbing alcohol and apply a colored tape.
I remember a photograph of a Casita at dusk that had a blue Reflective Tape applied to the belly band. I liked that look.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I remember a photograph of a Casita at dusk that had a blue Reflective Tape applied to the belly band. I liked that look.
This one? Casita with blue reflective tape on the belly band

I finally found the nightime pic, it was Lindy's trailer. Lindy is now gone, but his famous mods, etc. will live on forever.
Attached Thumbnails
BlueBellyBand_Lindys.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Burro
If you use reflective tape, you might want to check to see if only certain colors are legal. Lights are limited to white, red and amber and there are limits on the direction that they face. White can not face rear and red can not face front. I am not sure about reflectors but there may be regulations. The cops pull people over just for little blue dots on their tail lights.
Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Andy B good point on reflective tape; when the pull someone over they tend to inspect more.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
In construction painting aluminum house flashing we wash and etch with cleaning or pickle vinegar or other compound. No oxide on the metal and use a spray paint.
Not a fan of Tremclad primer and paint for items that need to stay looking good.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #9

The tractor trailers on the highway use a Red and White reflective tape on each side (Full Length) and the back (Full Width) of the vehicle. School Buses outline escape routes on both sides and the rear of the vehicle in yellow reflective tape.

I have used the trucker reflective red/white tape on the back for years. They sell that tape at Camping Stores, Harbor Freight, auto parts stores and truck stops. It is somewhat expensive if meets the Department of Transportation (DOT) specifications.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
The cops pull people over just for little blue dots on their tail lights.
Andy
Andy, you sound like a cranky hot rodder. I've written tickets for blue dots and also own a vehicle with them (removable for show use only) ... so, I cover both sides of the fence! Truth be told, red lights to the rear doesn't mean purple is okay... But, you made a good point.. check your state vehicle code for regulations. I can remove the lenses out off my truck, it would be a BIG inconvenience to remove tape.

BTW: Austin Healey's have full aluminum bodies and are painted.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Andy,
BTW: Austin Healey's have full aluminum bodies and are painted.
My Lotus Super 7 1500 Twin Weber Cosworth (1965) came to me from the factory with bare aluminum body. As I recall, I quickly cleaned it up as others have mentioned, and then sprayed it first with Zinc Chromate primer before giving it several coats of 1965 Corvette Yellow. (The exhaust note was loud, but the paint job was a lot louder ;-).

mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Andy, you sound like a cranky hot rodder. I've written tickets for blue dots and also own a vehicle with them (removable for show use only) ... so, I cover both sides of the fence! Truth be told, red lights to the rear doesn't mean purple is okay...
Donna, While I will admit to being cranky, I have never owned a hot rod or even looked at one up close. ;-) I have seen the blue dot tail lights on cars and thought that they looked nice, only to learn that they are not allowed. I agree with your point on purple tail lights, but a small blue dot that is maybe 5% or less of the large red tail light does not cause any kind of safety issue or even a significant distraction. I think that enforcement should lighten up on that issue, after all they allow blue tone or yellow tone headlights and never stop people who leave their driving lights or fog lights on when passing oncoming traffic. (See some of that crankyness is showing)
Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
If you use reflective tape, you might want to check to see if only certain colors are legal. Lights are limited to white, red and amber and there are limits on the direction that they face. White can not face rear and red can not face front. I am not sure about reflectors but there may be regulations. The cops pull people over just for little blue dots on their tail lights.
Andy
Brinks Armored Truck body logos are done with Blue reflective decals on the back and sides of their trucks. I think a body feature that is distinct from the required lighting would be permissible... but I don't know the applicable vehicle code.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #14

Registry
Question

Quote:
I've written tickets for blue dots and also own a vehicle with them (removable for show use only) ... so, I cover both sides of the fence!
What's the purpose for the Blue dots?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #15

Red and Blue are opposite colors of each other and when you put the blue dot in the middle of your taillight, from a distance it gives a very distinctive color. Even so, You can still determine that it is a taillight so why the fuss?

Up close, just looks like a small blue dot in the red taillight.

This has been around since the 40s and the law people have hassled people ever since.

Maybe one of our Law Officers can give an answer as to the law that governs this issue.

I have them on the taillights of our ATV that we use as a golf car around the development where we live.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...2071ac5826c187

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=381526
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
What's the purpose for the Blue dots?
They change the tail light from Red to Purple... and look cool at night.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #17

They really do look cool and I can spot one from a mile away.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
They really do look cool and I can spot one from a mile away.
They call 'em "Blue Jewels" in California. I looked on one of the Harley forums and it said people had been cited in CA, Illinois and Texas. Your mileage may vary. I agree they do look cool but you have to weight the cost/benefit of drawing attention to one's self.

Regards

Matt