Painting Boler floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #1

Name: B-Boler
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Painting Boler floor

We are beginning the restore on the interior of our 1977 Boler. The fibreglass floor is in pretty good shape, just has some scuffs and sections of discoloring. Any tips on painting it? It's a pebbled finish on the floor if that makes sence. Not sure where to start...
B-Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
scuff it a bit any good deck paint. I used Home Hardware product in 2004 and redid it in about "13.
We had throw rugs on it most of the time then went to a foam cover.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000392.jpg  
Old 05-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #3

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Be careful when you buy your “paint”. There are paints and there are epoxy coatings. And within the epoxy coatings there are pitfalls: 100% solids and other percentages.

My preference is tending to an epoxy coating and to one that is close to 100%. The higher the percentage the more coating is there to protect the surface. 100% means that almost all of the epoxy coating is there when it dries as opposed to 50% when that product thins out leaving 50% solids to protect. The problem with 100% epoxy is that the thickness of the product makes it a challenge to apply in the timeframe, although a Boler floor is not a large area.

My research for my upcoming floor recolour project points to the use of an epoxy primer as being a first step. But I’m sure there are a wealth of individuals who have done this with success and I await their input.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #4

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Amerigo F-16 1978?
New Hampshire
Registry
Hello B-Boler,
I have found a great but not inexpensive product. Epifanes.
Epifanes NA Inc.
They have many different types of Mono-Urethanes and two part Poly-Urethanes.
I have used the two part Epoxy as a primer and then a two part poly as a top coat.
Call them and ask for Jason. He has a youtube video or two on working with the product. Just be careful not to apply too thick to a horizontal surface like a floor it can wrinkle!
Good Luck.
P.S. They are right in Maine!
Jonathan
JonnyX151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint, painting