Painting gun - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #1

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Painting gun

Anyone used an electric sprayer to paint their egg?

Any brand/model you suggest?
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yuk, you are looking for a lot of extra work, mess, clean-up expense etc. .

Google "Roll and Tip" painting technique. It's pretty much the standard of the fiberglass boating industry.

It works perfect and much easier and less messy than spraying.
I've done two RV's that way and it's the way to go. It will look like a spray job when finished. Paint selection is also critical, come back and ask about that as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I built a 17 boat (glass/wood) and used the "roll and tip" approach. With a few coats and some light sanding, looked like factory gelcoat.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'll vote with Bob & Arlon: Unless you're looking for a really professional paint job, the Roll & Tip method is probably your best bet. That's what we used for the base color coat on our Surfside project, 3-4 coats (depending on where you look) and it came out really well using Rustoleum's Topside marine paint. Not quite spray-paint quality, but darn close. You don't need the spray equipment, respirator, or a spray booth to use it. Use an HVLP sprayer and the spray mist gets everywhere . . . plan on most of the things in your shop space turning your paint color, including your lungs, if you don't protect them with a full respirator designed for paint sprayers.

As for what sprayer to use, you really need a high-volume, low-pressure (HVLP) spray gun and compressor to apply modern finishes. My setup includes a 6 gallon tank compressor and HVLP spray gun, both from Harbor Freight. HF's HVLP spray guns are a variable commodity, though: some last, others don't, but if you look online you can find instructions on how to disassemble their guns and replace the seals that tend to break down, clog the spray head, and mess up your paint job.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I can't entirely agree with Peter about the possible quality of Roll & Tip painting.
After I did my first ever Roll & Tip paint job on my Hunter Compact-II, I happened to pull it into the service area at one of the largest independent RV dealerships in SoCal and the first question I got asked by the Service Manager was "Nice job, who sprayed it for you". And almost every one who sees it asks the same question.

IMHO: The paint should get more credit than my humble attempts at application. Interlux Briteside went on like "Buttah" and looks great.

I also did a Roll & Tip paint job, using Rustoleum Marine Paint (Not the same stuff as Rustoleum paint at Home Depot etc.) on a 35 y.o. Starcraft pop-up I restored for my son and the results, albeit on a more textured surface, look 100% spray painted.....

Pics of both can be seen here: Robert Miller's (advocateone)'s Library | Photobucket

But, success all depends on doing these three critical steps right: preparation, preparation and preparation.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting