Painting inside of Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 1974 Boler
Manitoba
Painting inside of Boler

Hi there!
Just purchased a 1974 Boler. Needs some TLC.
Was wondering if you can paint the spongy
insulation on interior walls and if so what
kind of paint does anyone recommend??? Also
what kind of sealer strips do I use???
Thanks for any help!!
rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey View Post
Hi there!
Just purchased a 1974 Boler. Needs some TLC.
Was wondering if you can paint the spongy
insulation on interior walls and if so what
kind of paint does anyone recommend??? Also
what kind of sealer strips do I use???
Thanks for any help!!
Welcome to the forum Lorraine and Yes you can repaint the interior

The important part of a good interior paint job is both preparation and using the right products. The link below contains the details
Cleaning & Decorating the Interior
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Anything can be painted,, but please clean it up and reconsider.
The surface painted will look the same as the surface unpainted but clean in a year or so. The painted surface won't stand up to cleaning as well as the original surface.
We use our boler several months a year so it is cleaned often and past experience with paint proves to me not to paint it.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #4

Name: Dina
Trailer: 1974 boler
British Columbia
Hi there, I also just purchased a 1974 boler and I am definitely going to paint the ensolite...it's a sickly silly putty pink right now. Looks like most recommend zinsser 123 primer and good prep. Is there a similar link for painting the interior fiberglass? It needs to be much more durable than the spongy walls. Not sure if I should use zinsser primer for that too? I've seen some have used marine paint but apparently it cannot be repainted in future. Thanks
Thanks
Dinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Welcome to the forum Lorraine and Yes you can repaint the interior

The important part of a good interior paint job is both preparation and using the right products. The link below contains the details
Cleaning & Decorating the Interior
I don't mean to doubt the quality of your paint job in the boler.
My concern is cleaning the paint after,,, say cooking on the stove,
using the boler say in the fall not cleaning it and coming out to in the spring and finding mold over most of the ceiling.
You have possibly one of the nicest bolers around, but really how many nights a year do you spend in it?
We spends months at a time in ours, in it right now since Feb 1. and almost a year in it out of the last 4.
The factory surface is superior in about every way to the painted surface
and with use the painted surface won't look good down the road.
To those considering painting their interior,,, please reconsider.
Fred
Old 03-25-2015, 05:08 AM   #6

Manitoba
I have read that people have used melamine paint on the fiberglass and acrylic enamel paint for the ensolite. Looks like we are in the same boat Dina...you'll probably get started before me...it snowed again in Winnipeg the other day!!! You have any pictures of your pink interior?? Was it painted once before or was that the original color??
Old 03-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I don't mean to doubt the quality of your paint job in the boler.
My concern is cleaning the paint after,,, say cooking on the stove,
using the boler say in the fall not cleaning it and coming out to in the spring and finding mold over most of the ceiling.
You have possibly one of the nicest bolers around, but really how many nights a year do you spend in it?
We spends months at a time in ours, in it right now since Feb 1. and almost a year in it out of the last 4.
The factory surface is superior in about every way to the painted surface
and with use the painted surface won't look good down the road.
To those considering painting their interior,,, please reconsider.
Fred
Hi Fred
We actually average 5-6 weeks annually using the Boler, like most we do the majority of our cooking outside but we do cook inside, we also bake in the oven. We scrub the interior walls at least twice a year, the paint is holding up very well, no issues, pealing, cracking or mold.

I totally agree with you that if you don't need to paint DON'T, the vinyl surface is far more durable than any paint will be, I even mention this in my instructions on painting the interior. In our case the vinyl was stained and discolored, no cleaning product would bring it back to white (and trust me I tried everything).

In our case painting was the only solution other than removing the ensolite and replacing with another product.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #8

Registry
hey Ian, thanks for the clarification, painting should be a last resort.
WOW 5-6 weeks congrats on that!
I see you have another trailer so I kinda assumed your boler was more of a show piece,, which it is!
Later
Fred
Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #9

Manitoba
Any suggestions on how to tell if ensolite is saturated with water and needs to be riped out. Some of my seals around windows and inside are shôt and have had a very small amout of water since it snowed again.

Thank you
Old 03-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
The ensolite is a closed cell foam and will not absorb water so you have nothing to fear, any moisture will only be on the surface.

I don't advise you rip it out as it is a ton of work and expense to replace it.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #11

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
The ensolite is a closed cell foam and will not absorb water so you have nothing to fear, any moisture will only be on the surface.
I'm going to semi-disagree with you on this - while the ensolite is a closed cell foam and it won't absorb any water itself, there is NOTHING to prevent water from pooling "behind" the ensolite against the fiberglass walls, depending on how well (or not so well) it was originally glued in place. Eventually it may open up enough "pockets" between the ensolite and walls that it drains all the way to the floor, but I can absolutely guarantee you that any moisture won't be limited to just the "surface" - it can definitely be quite wet behind the ensolite, and the completely slimy/moldy and disgusting approximately 3x3 piece I removed from my scamp last summer is evidence of that.

If you suspect that you have water *behind* your ensolite, I suggest carefully peeling back as much of the ensolite as you need to, fixing the leak, allowing everything to dry out fully, and then gluing it back in place with spray adhesive - I did something similar when I repaired my front bunk support that had separated from the shell (not due to leaking, the tabbing had just popped clean off on one end) and you really can't even tell that I remove the ensolite at all - and I peeled back enough that I could get in there and properly prep the fiberglass for repair without risking damage to the nearby ensolite).
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
My statement is true that ensolite will not absorb water.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #13

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Yes, but you also stated that the water would only be on the surface - which is not true.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #14

Name: Dina
Trailer: 1974 boler
British Columbia
Interior painting

hi Rainey
Sorry, my boler is in the garage and photos don't turn out so well with poor lighting. Plus, not sure how to post photos yet. No snow here but lots of rain! I am in the process of gutting it...I plan on doing a complete Reno. I have recruited my retired dad and brother into a "family project". They are currently welding a new frame for me (my dad is a welder and both are super handy). My boler interior was actually repainted pink at some point and luckily it is sticking well and not peeling...just ugly. My ensolite is in pretty good condition but I have read that sometimes water pools behind it and causes it to bubble because it can't seep through it. I agree that replacing it would be a nightmare. It's going to be a while before I get down to painting...lots of prep to do first. Half the fun of owning a boler is renovating it, the other half will be camping in it
Dinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Yes, but you also stated that the water would only be on the surface - which is not true.
No, it is true. Because Ian was talking about the ensolite not the wall. Ensolite itself does not absorb water, that's why it stays on the surface of the ensolite, not within the cells (like a sponge). Remember, there is a surface on both sides
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #16

Manitoba
If the ensolite doesn't absorb water then that means that mold can form on the fiberglass right?? But you won't ever know unless you rip out the ensolite?
Old 07-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #17

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Hi Fred
We actually average 5-6 weeks annually using the Boler, like most we do the majority of our cooking outside but we do cook inside, we also bake in the oven. We scrub the interior walls at least twice a year, the paint is holding up very well, no issues, pealing, cracking or mold.

I totally agree with you that if you don't need to paint DON'T, the vinyl surface is far more durable than any paint will be, I even mention this in my instructions on painting the interior. In our case the vinyl was stained and discolored, no cleaning product would bring it back to white (and trust me I tried everything).

In our case painting was the only solution other than removing the ensolite and replacing with another product.

What is a good cleaning product for the ensolite and interior fiberglass?
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:58 PM   #18

Name: Chad
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinab View Post
Hi there, I also just purchased a 1974 boler and I am definitely going to paint the ensolite...it's a sickly silly putty pink right now. Looks like most recommend zinsser 123 primer and good prep. Is there a similar link for painting the interior fiberglass? It needs to be much more durable than the spongy walls. Not sure if I should use zinsser primer for that too? I've seen some have used marine paint but apparently it cannot be repainted in future. Thanks
Thanks

What did you end up using for interior cabinet paint?
Chadwick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:09 PM   #19

Name: Chad
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Interior cabinets and ensolite

I have removed the top cabinets in my 77 boler, (bed and kitchen) i’n going to paint the ensolite, removed the J trim? And put caulking in all the seams,,,
But for the cabinets themselves/ especially while 2 are out, what kind of paint should i go with? Something 0-low odour,,,
Pre kote priner
Interlux brightside polyurethane

2. Insl-x stix waterborne lrimer
And Rustoleum marine coat topside

3? Other?

What have people used to paint the cabinets?
Chadwick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:38 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick1977 View Post
I have removed the top cabinets in my 77 boler, (bed and kitchen) i’n going to paint the ensolite, removed the J trim? And put caulking in all the seams,,,
But for the cabinets themselves/ especially while 2 are out, what kind of paint should i go with? Something 0-low odour,,,
Pre kote priner
Interlux brightside polyurethane

2. Insl-x stix waterborne lrimer
And Rustoleum marine coat topside

3? Other?

What have people used to paint the cabinets?
When painting the ensolite the paint used needs to breath to allow any moisture to pass through the paint film, if moisture is trapped behind the paint it will blister.
My article on painting ensolite has been used by many owners with reliable long term successful results https://www.boler.ca/2017/05/21/pain...wall-covering/

Tags
boler, paint, painting