Painting Interior Fiberglass Hunter Compact - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #1

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Michigan
Painting Interior Fiberglass Hunter Compact

Hello All,

My husband and I bought a Hunter Compact Jr last fall and were currently gutting and remodeling it. The interior is currently a darker blue. I'd like to paint it white to make the camper feel larger. Looking to see if someone can help with the questions below.

1. I've seen some comments about avoiding painting the interior if possible, but didn't really understand why from the threads. If anyone could shed some light on that, it would be helpful. This is a want, not a need.

2. Clarification on prep work that is required for painting interior fiberglass. Is a good clean sufficient? Or do I need to sand and or take chemicals to it. I've seen a variety of different comments on this.

3. I saw a handful of recommendation on Zinsser 1-2-3 primer. Not sure what to use for the top coat. Any other recommendations are helpful!

This is our first camper remodel and dealing with fiberglass. Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you!
Rmorriss2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
krg

Name: Kirk
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I just finished painting the inside of my vintage trillium trailer both the fiberglass cabinets, seating areas etc. and the ensolite insulation. I found the fiberglass is very difficult to get a good bond without a very good sanding of all areas. Needs have the finish completely dulled. After I used a diamond coat paint primer combo and it seems to have worked well.
krg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Does the interior still have the fabric insulation, absolute or ?. If it's bare fiberglass, then you may be able to paint away. Our Campster was gutted and redone, but there is no insulation layer of any kind, it's just rough fiberglass like the inside of a boat. It's painted white and looks fine but, as said, not insulated. I don't know what kind of paint he used, but given the quality of the rebuild, I suspect it's regular household enamel.

If the inside is the original or replaced insulation, it will require another approach. Others will know more than i.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #4

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Michigan
Hi Dave! There is no insulation just the fiberglass. Ours is an older model so it didn’t have the quilted insulation. I believe that it is the original bare fiberglass that has been painted.
Rmorriss2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmorriss2411 View Post
Hi Dave! There is no insulation just the fiberglass. Ours is an older model so it didn’t have the quilted insulation. I believe that it is the original bare fiberglass that has been painted.
You may find that you'll want to have some insulation. Molded fiberglass trailers are generally lined so that moisture won't condense and drip off of the cold walls of the trailer.

Hunter used quilted fabric, Casita uses carpet, Scamp uses "rat-fur" (similar to marine headliner fabric), Escape places a vinyl fabric over closed-cell insulation, and some of the other older trailers used EnsoLite or "elephant skin".

I believe that Snoozy depends on a sandwich construction for their shell with insulation between two skins, as does Oliver.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Cargo Box

I'm planning on painting the inside of my BigFoot cargo box sometime. It is way down on the list of priorities though.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We well know what it's like to live in a terrarium on a wet cool night in the Pacific NW. The lack of moisture really limits our use, but adding insulation is probably a project I'm not going to take on.

Now for the OP, that might be something to consider if time skill, and budget permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
You may find that you'll want to have some insulation. Molded fiberglass trailers are generally lined so that moisture won't condense and drip off of the cold walls of the trailer.

Hunter used quilted fabric, Casita uses carpet, Scamp uses "rat-fur" (similar to marine headliner fabric), Escape places a vinyl fabric over closed-cell insulation, and some of the other older trailers used EnsoLite or "elephant skin".

I believe that Snoozy depends on a sandwich construction for their shell with insulation between two skins, as does Oliver.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
My compact jr came without insulation. Insulation was optional and since they were made in southern ca not neccessary for many. I used the zinsser primer. It worked well.
If your interior is blue then it was previously painted. Your not dealing with fiberglass surface. Check the paint well to make sure that there is no flaking, chipping or loose areas. If there are none you should be able to prime over it after a good cleaning. If it is gloss it will need a light sanding or a liquid deglosser to have a good adhesion. Try your primer in an out of the way place and let it sit a few days, then check it. You want a paint that is low voc and fast drying. Leave the windows and door open with a fan to circulate air.
Remember that the shell is the same temperature as the air unless it is in the sun in which case it may dry to fast. The best is a warm day in the shade. If to cold and a water base it is easy to get runs
It will take a while to get rid of the new paint smell. This my experience.
As to moisture leave the vent ajar and a window open a couple of inches. I If you have a good battery a small fan to circulate the air. It helps a lot. A vent fan would be better. A vent fan would be better. Are favorite area to camp is Eurika north to British Columbia.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
My compact jr came without insulation. Insulation was optional and since they were made in southern ca not neccessary for many.
Good post on how to paint succesfully, and interesting information about how they sold trailers without insulation.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #10

Name: Jeannie
Trailer: 1978 Scamp
Indiana
We are getting ready to paint interior of our vintage Scamp, does anyone know how to fill the gaps on the walls? Would tape of some sort work?
Thank you
Jeannie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #11

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
If you do not receive a response from someone with personal experience try searching previous post maybe under under modifications or maintenance. I've seen several threads that address this, but have only skimmed over them.
I have followed the suggestion of several others use google to search for the topic I'm after and include fiberglassrv.co in the request. If I use the fiberglassrv search engine I usually do it from a computer rather than my smartphone. You will get a lot of information.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting