Painting over a plexiglass window??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Painting over a plexiglass window???

Okay everyone, I have built a wetbath in our '71 Boler and me and the Mrs have been discussing how to best cover the window in the wetbath. We have decided we think painting the window would be best so we don't have to deal with a wet curtain when showering. So I was thinking about painting both sides of the plexiglass and adding a Boler logo to the outside like you see on the rock guard. Has anyone done this? Should I prime the plexiglass first? And what type paint should I use for plexiglass? I was thinking of using the Rustoleum Marine Topside so it matches the body.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Just paint the inside and the paint will show through smooth and Shiney to the outside.
If you want to put in a logo baited backwards on the inside this would also work nicely.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Contact paper. There's some with cool designs and some that looks like frosted glass. In the future, it would be a LOT easier to remove than paint.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll second Donna's suggestion. It's not really paper, but a translucent plastic film. I've seen it in Home Depot, and as said, lots of cool designs. There was one with a bamboo forest design that would make your shower feel like a spa!

On the other hand, if you do paint and later want to return to a clear window, I don't see it as a big deal. Just replace the whole window. I agree with JD- inside only for paint.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Smile Paint over plexiglass

Hi
We just replaced both windows as part of a total rehab on 76 Boler. To keep the interior cooler, we used Rust-Oleum Lens Tint. We applied this before installing. The one we used is "Translucent Black Coating". The name is wrong. You can't see through this stuff. It comes in a spray can, so you can do as many layers as you like. This forms a layer that is removable, just by pealing it off. That would be easier than dealing with paint removal. We got this at Walmart in the automotive department. It was under $12 US. I hope this helps.
Cheers, Barb
Barb & Bob MacD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting