Painting the floor? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300
So... I have a 13' Boler that I am restoring. Doing a 50's diner kinda theme to go along with the retro type trailer that I have. I want to put black and white checker flooring in. I have searched high and low for it and the only one I found has too big of squares for such a little floor. (9'' squares) So my thought was... Paint it. That wait I can get the right size squares. I was wondering if anyone has painted there floor??? If so, how did it turn out and what type of paint should I use?

Thanks for any help and advise you can pass along!

Cheers,
SHAN
Shanon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
don't paint. find a roll type instead of squares. also what about cutting the 9" tiles. i think 9" will look better that you think. if they are to small it will look funny. you could always lay it diagonally too that will expose more lines.
link
http://www.floormall.com/vinyl/tarkett/tar...alt-and-pepper/
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Painted floors are used quite successfully in homes. I've lived in one! In fact, I'm going to paint the floor of my Scamp. Very tired of the dang dirty carpet and haven't found a lino that's bright enough with the colors I want. I'm going to paint mine with the same stuff they use on garage floors. Here's some information from This Old House Magazine: How to Epoxy-Coat a Garage Floor

Maybe that will give you an idea of how you can make your trailer uniquely your own!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
The British and American navies used to paint the floors (interior decks) of their cabins. The most used pattern was black and white squares...

Epoxy paint would work. Rather than garage floor paint, though, I would go to a marine store (WestMarine.com) and get a paint formulated for wood. Deck and porch paint is also an option.

Paint the entire floor white, then mask and paint the black squares.

However, I think the nine inch tiles would work (or roll out lino) and be much more time and cost effective.

Have fun and good luck. Sounds like a great idea.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I painted mine with Varathane Colours in Plastic and it has held up nicely. My Boler floor is the "pebbled" fibreglass over plywood.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
So... I have a 13' Boler that I am restoring. Doing a 50's diner kinda theme to go along with the retro type trailer that I have. I want to put black and white checker flooring in. I have searched high and low for it and the only one I found has too big of squares for such a little floor. (9'' squares) So my thought was... Paint it. That wait I can get the right size squares. I was wondering if anyone has painted there floor??? If so, how did it turn out and what type of paint should I use?

Cheers,
SHAN
i would definitely use tiles. I used cork on mine because i hated that texture on the floor, it always looked dirty. I'm not sure that issue would go away with paint. Here's 2 pics from the glass eggs rally. sorry they are not floor focused but you can see it. i don't like diagonal myself but that's the fun of personalizing. i think they look great. one benefit with a larger tile in a small space is it can make it appear larger. post your pics when you are done.
Attached Thumbnails
031.JPG   030.JPG  

cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Hi, I've done what Donna is thinking about. Here's what I picked and used:

Name:   flooring.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  31.0 KB

Here's a picture of the finished product:

Click image for larger version

Name:	floorfinished.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	22023

And a closeup of the floor. I have had it in place for several months. Hasn't given me any issues. YMMV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floorclosestcloseup.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	22022

The only other thing I may do is use the recommended clear sealer on the floor. Only because I got a bit carried away with the flakes. I wanted a real sandy beach look.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bonnie that looks GREAT. And I know the flakes are available in just about any color imaginable here: Floor Chips
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hi, I've done what Donna is thinking about. Here's what I picked and used:

Attachment 22024

Here's a picture of the finished product:

Attachment 22023

And a closeup of the floor. I have had it in place for several months. Hasn't given me any issues. YMMV.

Attachment 22022

The only other thing I may do is use the recommended clear sealer on the floor. Only because I got a bit carried away with the flakes. I wanted a real sandy beach look.
i like that look. is the finish smooth ot textured? i can tell by the picture.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
i like that look. is the finish smooth ot textured? i can tell by the picture.

That is what I am doing in the burro as well as soon as I replace the flooring. Yours looks great, please keep us informed on how it wears as you go down the road.

Regards.
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:48 AM   #11

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Thanks Donna. Not only do the flakes come in lots of colors. That particular base can be tinted just like regular paint.

Cyndi H. : The way I did the floor has left a rough texture. Not uncomfortable underfoot, but still slip resistant. The sealer would just be a finishing touch, as the paint is very sturdy by itself.

For anyone that's curious, I used less than a full gallon of the base and two full bottles of the flakes. Like I mentioned, I wanted a sand look. Normally, one bottle would be more than enough.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:

Cheers,
SHAN
Home Despot or Rona here in Canada have peel and stick B&W tiles that I used for a diner in a high school musical. Liked them so much, I am using their hardwood floor tile things in my Trillium. Easy to cut and about 1.5mm thick.
Lisa A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow! That trailer above looks amazing.
Lisa A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting