paper bag/polyurethane flooring - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Name: Sam
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
paper bag/polyurethane flooring

We are ripping up our carpet and putting in a new floor. I have seen plenty of examples of people putting a laminate floor in their scamp but I have yet to see a polyurethane example. These are the type of floors you might see at a bar or restaurant. I have seen one where they glue a bunch of shiny pennies to the subfloor and then pour polyurethane over it. Obviously the one issue I can foresee is cracking. I know trailer floors flex more than conventional ones but the scamp seems to have a pretty robust floor, under the carpet its laminated OSB. Has anyone out there tried or know someone who has tried this type of floor in a trailer, did they have issues or no?
samandallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have seen the brown paper bag flooring before, somewhat interesting. The poly gives it the wear layer.

I used unfinished cork in my Escape 19 and coated it with 4-5 coats of a good flooring rated latex polyurethane, and it looked and wore fantastically.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:10 AM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Polyurethane deck paint works just fine for coating over plywood and it is designed to take the wear and tear of foot traffic.

Some DIY techniques are over rated by the crafters who do them and the paper bag floor is one of those. If you want a lumpy looking, dirty brown colored floor then go for it, if not just use paint. I have seen a few of them over the years and it was not a pretty site ;(
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Better have patience and talent, otherwise it could look like you spilled a gallon of polyurethane and tried (unsuccessfully) to clean it up with paper bags!
I saw a beautiful similar application once, only done with rags, It looked like a colorful patchwork quilt.( very nice work)

If I had tried it, I am sure I would still be waiting for the polyurethane to wear off my skin, after disposing of my work clothes ad cutting my hair!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Weight might also be an issue. The thickness needed to cover the bags and give it proper depth would be quite heavy.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Name: sharon
Virginia
Lol! You & me both, Floyd!
While the poly floor idea looks good at first, what happens when it gets worn or you want to change it? I can’t imagine how to remove it other than hammer & chisel for 2 weeks. What a mess.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Then again, there's just plain paint. We bought marine ply and it was so pretty I didn't want to cover it up entirely, but couldn't quite stand the bare ply look ...so Paul 'basketwove" it, using the naked plywood as background and white marine enamel paint for the dry-brush technique. Then we rolled six thin coats of sealant (ACE brand). It's easy to see if the floor is in good condition (no cover-up), light, easy to sweep and wash, and can easily be repainted or sealed as it needs it. Lightweight, too.

We use a small washable throw inside the entry, and a larger one by the back bed. We always use slippers, as admittedly the floor is cold.

That pretty plywood. Light streaks are sunlight.

Starting the basketweaving design, a little bowl of white paint sitting there with the little brush in it. Paul marked off 2 x 2" squares with white chalk and alternated brush strokes, horizontal, then vertical to make a basket woven pattern.

Back corner of finished floor, back storage area going in.

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 060.JPG   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 059.JPG  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 116.JPG  
Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by samandallison View Post
We are ripping up our carpet and putting in a new floor. I have seen plenty of examples of people putting a laminate floor in their scamp but I have yet to see a polyurethane example. These are the type of floors you might see at a bar or restaurant. I have seen one where they glue a bunch of shiny pennies to the subfloor and then pour polyurethane over it. Obviously the one issue I can foresee is cracking. I know trailer floors flex more than conventional ones but the scamp seems to have a pretty robust floor, under the carpet its laminated OSB. Has anyone out there tried or know someone who has tried this type of floor in a trailer, did they have issues or no?
I saw a brown paper bag floor with polyurethane in a 17' Casita and it looked awesome. Thought of doing it myself. She cut the bags and laid them in a nice pattern. She did the little area above the wheel wells also. If you have a Casita or have seen one the area under the side dinette has a raised square area for the wheels. It was perfectly smooth. She took her time and it looked perfect. No bulges, just smooth as silk. Yes-I said she. She said it took some time and patience but was very inexpensive. I don't remember how she spread the stuff. I think she might have glued the bags a little first so they wouldn't move before the polyurethane. When I saw it it had not cracked.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #9

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I saw a brown paper bag floor with polyurethane in a 17' Casita and it looked awesome. Thought of doing it myself. She cut the bags and laid them in a nice pattern. She did the little area above the wheel wells also. If you have a Casita or have seen one the area under the side dinette has a raised square area for the wheels. It was perfectly smooth. She took her time and it looked perfect. No bulges, just smooth as silk. Yes-I said she. She said it took some time and patience but was very inexpensive. I don't remember how she spread the stuff. I think she might have glued the bags a little first so they wouldn't move before the polyurethane. When I saw it it had not cracked.
Gender shock and stereotyping is sorta passe so I'm not surprised at all that a woman would do a job like that. I have worked with lots of talented women who remodeled their Scamps replacing brakes or windows even electrical work, with great results.
I remember when we were supposed to be shocked by female truck drivers. Today even gender confused stereotypes are embraced!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:38 PM   #10

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Take a look at luxury vinyl plank. $3-5 per foot, lifetime warranty on wear, most are clik-and-lock installation, and it is 100% waterproof.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:43 PM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Weight might also be an issue. The thickness needed to cover the bags and give it proper depth would be quite heavy.
This would be one of the lightest floors you could do. A layer of paper and a thin layer of polyurethane would weight next to nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
While the poly floor idea looks good at first, what happens when it gets worn or you want to change it? I can’t imagine how to remove it other than hammer & chisel for 2 weeks. What a mess.
Easy peasy, just go over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I saw a brown paper bag floor with polyurethane in a 17' Casita and it looked awesome.
I have only seen photos, and thought it looked great. With a bit of care I believe it could look good and wear fantastic.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I used to sell restaurant supplies took an order one time for a bar he saw tables at a show one time the manufacture had silver sprayed maple leaves set them on wood panel then poured a deep cast of poly over them.

neatest tables I had ever seen but very expensive! I wonder though in a trailers case how they would handle flexing?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #13

Name: Sam
Arizona
Thanks for all the responses folks! We considered all your thoughts and just disregarded the sexist comments. After doing some brainstorming we have decided to go ahead and try the poly floor but instead of using paper bags we are going to tear up old highway maps and use those in place of paper bag. Since we are going to be traveling a lot it seemed the best fit. Other ideas we came up with was old news paper clippings or monopoly cards and money. We were trying to think of stuff that was not brown because since the whole interior is wood grain it was just too much brown. That is why we decided against the LVP because it is really hard to find some second hand that are not some kind of wood grain.
samandallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Great idea with using maps. Do take photos as you go and of the finished product.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by samandallison View Post
we are going to tear up old highway maps and use those in place of paper bag. Since we are going to be traveling a lot it seemed the best fit.
Just a bit of a side story but same idea. We used to collect menu's for years from restaurants we liked. During a major kitchen remodel I picked up a 4'x10' sheet of 1/8th" hard board to make up a unique backsplash. I used a product called Mod Podge to attach and seal them. I though the cabinets I built would be the stand out to folks....no, the backsplash was. People would point out which ones they liked, wanted to go to or wished were still around. Your floor may get the same reactions .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote