Parking/Backing Advice - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #41

Name: Phil
Trailer: Burro
Washington
Mirrors! Some have mentioned previously, but I find it generally easiest to back a trailer using the side mirrors. If you see it starting to move to one side, you can simply "follow" it with the steering wheel and straighten it out again. Once you get the hang of it, you can easily go as far as you want in a straight line, then practice turning and cornering.

When you're getting within feet or inches of your target, you can open the door and gauge your distance by looking at the ground. You need to move back 8 inches? Just watch the ground and move 8".

Cheers
ThisIsTheEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
sometimes it helps to adjust your mirrors to see the tires on the trailer that way you see how much it moves before you get all crossed up. practice in an empty mall parking lot where there are lines you can use to make the trailer go to where you lead it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #43

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
I feel like I am going slow, but maybe I need to go slower. Also, I need to figure out how to get the trailer to stop turning once I have it started heading in the correct direction. I turn the wheel back the other direction, but no matter what, it keeps going in the other direction. I do pull forward to straighten up, and try again. I need to go to a rallying meet some of you nice people! The advice of doing very small increments was good. I think I am turning too sharply. I am going to practice this weekend. Great advice - thank you all!
Old 12-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #44

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Have your spouse stand outside and give you directions. This will give you someone to yell at for not knowing how to back up.

I am a solo camper. If I had a spouse - I would be the one in the back yelling which way to turn - ha!
Old 12-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
I feel like I am going slow, but maybe I need to go slower. Also, I need to figure out how to get the trailer to stop turning once I have it started heading in the correct direction. I turn the wheel back the other direction, but no matter what, it keeps going in the other direction. I do pull forward to straighten up, and try again. I need to go to a rallying meet some of you nice people! The advice of doing very small increments was good. I think I am turning too sharply. I am going to practice this weekend. Great advice - thank you all!
Reverse the steering wheel sooner, much sooner. Basically as soon as it barely begins to turn, start dialing back the steering wheel.

By the time it reaches the desired turn angle, your front wheels should already be pointed the other direction to follow the radius of the turn.

You might look up some YouTube videos about backing a trailer. Observe the front wheels of the tow vehicle closely.

And don’t feel bad. I watched a semi trying to back up to another semi-trailer to transfer the load in a parking lot yesterday. He took five tries and made a few glaring mistakes alone the way.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Or reversing a trailer of any size is something I am very comfortable with, trying to explain it in writing on the Internet is something I am not so good at. Too bad it wasn't easy to meet in person and I would be glad to go with you and help.

Another thing many new to trailers owners do is to take driving lessons that focus on the things to do with a trailer. I believe this is a great way to go for those new to Towing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #47

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Looking for Dennis

In May, 2019 I picked up my new Scamp 13 at the factory. I spent a few days at Rutger's RV park in beautiful, metropolitan Backus. There was another camper there named Dennis who was very helpful and gave me several tips, including information about Fiberglass RV. I've lost all contact info. Dennis, if you read this, would you please contact me?

Bill
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #48

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
LOL

WE got many tips from a LOLOHO video 3 yrs ago. One of te best was 1. get a pair of walkie-talkies to use to communicate w yer backer-observer(if you do not have one, borrow one)
2. Keep hands at 600 position when possible.
3. move hands and thus turn wheel in direction you want trailer to go.
4. do not over-correct...small motions are best
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #49

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
That "Scoop" is shown with a heck of a wide road. Great if you have one. I don't.

But things I do not want- anyone trying to direct me. I will occasionally ask someone who offers to help to yell if I am about to hit something, but it's one thing to have a regular partner and know each other's signals. It's quite another to have someone else try to tell you how to back your trailer.

I've had a boat trailer and 3 travel trailers, all single axle, and every one backed differently. It takes lots of front and back and occasional getting out to check, even with practice. Even with experience. Some trailers are just harder to back than others, so don't worry when you see someone zip into a spot like it is easy. It might be, for their rig. Might not be for yours. And some spots are just harder. One campsite I particularly like has an approach that makes me crazy- a tree in exactly the wrong place, especially for "the scoop".

Pull-throughs are good for practice- you can usually spend a little time getting your trailer just where you want it (I like to get out, jump in the trailer, and check the view!) without being in anyone's way. Empty parking lots are good but not as easy because it is harder to see lines on pavement than actual trees and things.

I've heard good things about trailer driving schools, too, so worth considering.

It does get easier with practice. It doesn't get easy so give yourself time and be happy when it gets easier!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
WE got many tips from a LOLOHO video 3 yrs ago. One of te best was 1. get a pair of walkie-talkies to use to communicate w yer backer-observer(if you do not have one, borrow one)

Well, I do agree with 4.

Having reversed trailers many thousands of times, including tractor/trailer units, I can say worth confidence that not only is walkie talkie use never used in any training I have seen or given, it or any verbal commands are not recommended, as they can lead to miscommunication of what is needed. The best communication is proper use of hand signals, as it clearly tells the driver what is needed.

While most times I reversed with a trailer without help, when needed good and prior hands signals were a great help.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #51

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: in the market
Oriental
Practice is the key. No matter how difficult, you can improve over time.
Mary Ann in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #52

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Sorry to disagree with you but walkie-talkies would just be a noisy distraction. Also #2 and #3 may work for a novice but once you get proficient they are cumbersome and or awkward. And like Jim #4 is the only one I can agree with, but even that one doesn't always hold true. The best advise for anyone is practice, practice, practice.
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #53
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
I have to agree....
I do much better by myself without help and that goes for hitching as well (although I've had two hitching hiccups). ��*♀️��*♀️
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #54

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the real pain I've found is backing up a 21 foot escape with a 21 foot long F250 4x4 that has a 65 ft turning circle. its not bad in a straight line, but murder if you have to back it up in a turn, for instance, doing a 3 point U turn, eeeeeek....

when I'm backing up in a turn, I absolutely need a spotter to see whats off the outside corner as its completely blind to me.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:29 AM   #55

Name: Brett
Nevada
AMYFL, I am going to give you another option. Have a hitch receiver installed at/under your front bumper. Get as close to where you want the trailer to be, unhitch, move the hitch to the front and put the trailer back on the front mounted ball.

I understand this is cumbersome, but the control you will gain will be amazing. I can almost say for certain that you will get your trailer in in the first attempt.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...374/page/2.cfm
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:51 AM   #56

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfleissner View Post
AMYFL, I am going to give you another option. Have a hitch receiver installed at/under your front bumper. Get as close to where you want the trailer to be, unhitch, move the hitch to the front and put the trailer back on the front mounted ball.

I understand this is cumbersome, but the control you will gain will be amazing. I can almost say for certain that you will get your trailer in in the first attempt.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...374/page/2.cfm
That depends on the truck. I installed one mostly for that reason but my 2WD makes it to low. I may be able to fix it by raising the frontend a couple of inches but that will be next year.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #57

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You have more control when pushing, but far less visibility. No mirrors to see along either side of the trailer, just a big white wall in front of you. Imagine stopping in a campground, unhitching, turning, and rehitching to the front, just so you can push into a campsite. The line of other campers waiting to get past you might have a few choice words for such insanity.

A tricky storage parking situation- with a spotter to compensate for the loss of visibility- maybe.

Mostly it’s used by boaters, where you have better visibility and a need sometimes to keep rear drive wheels on solid ground.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #58

Registry
I have never, and likely would never, reverse a trailer using the front end of a vehicle with a ball mount on it. Mind you, I have only reversed a trailer a few thousand times. [emoji16]

It just seems way too risky with not being able to see anything other than the front of the trailer. Good towing mirrors work great (as well as good helper hand signals), and there is obviously a good reason very few do it backwards.

Just one guys thoughts. [emoji41]
Old 12-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I pulled up my tow vehicle to the hitch on my trailer, as one would with a front hitch. And this is what you see. Keep in mind that there are iron gate posts, and a gate, that you cannot see, behind the trailer.
I have backed my trailer between the posts, watching my mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
front hitch.jpg  
Old 12-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #60

Name: Brett
Nevada
Well Jim, AMYFL hasn't reversed a trailer thousands of times and she is looking for help.

And saying that you "would" never means you haven't ever tried it, so again, how does that help AMYFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never, and likely would never, reverse a trailer using the front end of a vehicle with a ball mount on it. Mind you, I have only reversed a trailer a few thousand times. [emoji16]

It just seems way too risky with not being able to see anything other than the front of the trailer. Good towing mirrors work great (as well as good helper hand signals), and there is obviously a good reason very few do it backwards.

Just one guys thoughts. [emoji41]
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote