Parkliner Brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 10:06 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner
Pennsylvania
Parkliner Brakes

Greetings! We have a 2017 ParkLiner and I suspect it is time to replace the brakes. Do any of you have the specs or measurements? Sources for parts? Any help appreciated. We live in eastern Florida,but we are currently traveling cross country to Northwest (again), so tough to have my "local" shop work on this. Poor planning. Dr. Google says replace the complete brake assembly, which I'm willing to tackle, but would love to get parts before I begin to disassemble.
Thanks
Capn Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:17 AM   #2

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York
Parkliner Brakes

Hi, Dexter K23-026-00 brake kit Left hand....... K23-027-00 brake kit Right hand. Both are complete brake assemblies. 2 oil seals would be good in case you find grease on brakes.Two National oil seals # 473336. Wire strippers / crimper and butt connectors blue ones to connect brakes to trailer. My 0.02 cents take to a trailer shop, can be messy job. Good luck, safe travels.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Why do you believe it is time to replace the brakes on a 5 year old trailer? I have only replaced the brakes once in the 22 years I have owned my Scamp.

Before buying anything, remove the brake drums and inspect the brakes. I suspect they are in good condition and need only normal maintenance.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:34 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Ethan, thank you for the info. This helps a lot. It would be easier to take it to a mechanic, but tough to do while we are sleeping in it, especially if they need to keep it overnight. I've done car brakes for years, and this doesn't look any more complicated.

Dan, I agree that I need to look first. We've put some miles on this buggy. Four years ago, we did 20k miles traveling from Florida to Vancouver, British Columbia and back. A lot of steep hills in that part of the world - and awesome camping opportunities. Our tug is a 2013 Honda Pilot, and we've had no significant issues. Replaced transmission fluid and it looked like clear cherry juice. There have been several other long hauls over the last three years (with the exception of that lost pandemic year), so just thinking it may be time to inspect the brakes as we again head west.

We keep little "Parker" in our garage between trips, so she still looks and smells brand new. (And before anyone asks, we lower tire pressure to 10 psi to clear the garage door, then re-inflate.) Again, thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Cap
Old 05-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Brakes

Hi Cap
I put new brakes on our Escape 21 (2013) this spring. The ones on it were originals. They had about 75,000 miles on them. There was still about 35% lining left. We have been to the west coast several times, the Appalachians and into Colorado. So so side table mountain driving. The trailer weighs 4360 loaded for a three week trip. I am easy on brakes and have 96,000 on the 2018 Highlander and they’re good till winter. Just had them checked at a shop where I’ve done business for 35 years.
The photo is one set with 75k on them
Attached Thumbnails
F1876642-2273-4450-93FA-0B14D7555FCB.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:05 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
ParkLiner Brakes Update

Sorry for the delay in my final report! To be totally prepared for the job, I ordered self-adjusting brake assemblies and new grease seals from etrailer. Figured better to have all new parts before tackling the project as it was only a tad over $100. In early June I had a nice concrete pad in which to begin.

As Dan had previously noted, the original brake shoes were fine, of course. This is, in part, because 1) I had ignorantly never adjusted them over the last seven years (45k+ miles), and more importantly 2) neither of the wires for the starboard side were attached to anything, nor did it look like they ever had been! No frayed or broken wires, or any place where they could have been attached. Yikes!

After re-watching U-Tube videos, I removed the old assembly without issue and installed the new self-adjusting brake assemblies. I cleaned the bearings, replaced the grease seals in the original drums (getting the old ones out being the most challenging part!), repacked the bearings, then topped off the grease using the nifty zerk fitting on the end of the axle. Oh, and I attached the wires(!) with plastic wire caps and sealed them with silicon caulking. (I like these better than the crimp connectors that can potentially pull apart.)

While the trailer was still jacked up, I plugged in the wire from the tug, spun the tire while my assistant (God bless her) activated the Prodigy lever to engage brakes to make sure they worked. Eureka! Whole project took about 3 hours.

Finished with the final adjustment of the Prodigy. Recommended starting point is 6 volts, but I found that closer to 7 - 7.5 volts is required to hold the complete rig on level ground.

After 8000 miles out to Wyoming, Idaho, and back to Florida, trailer brakes are working without issue. Thank you to those of you that provided early feedback.

Cheers,
Cap'n Bob

Tags
brakes, parkliner