Parkliner hinges rusting! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
It's ok Brian lol...I am fairly certain Chandler didn't have these designed from scratch and after looking at some pictures I get some ideas...I am sure they could be made...and probably not insanely expensive either.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #22
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Brian and Deryk
I believe that if the upper and lower brackets are reusable then all you need is to remove the top half of a flex socket (as oriented in the attached pic) and machine a barrel pin to peg into the square hole on the socket. The cross pin hole should align to the lower bracket.
My washers seem to be in pristine condition so perhaps they did switch material and upgrade to a better socket
I really can't complain so far about the action of the door. The movement is smooth and it latches effortlessly. I will keep an eye on it though.
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #23

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Sid!

I have 4 rusty washers on mine....maybe one day when I have a friend around to help me get the door back on I might try swapping the washers out with something better then the probably mild steel that they are....and take a good look at what is there and how it is put together.

deryk

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sears craftsman socket in your door

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Well Gee-Whiz...If's it's Craftsman can't you just take it back to Sears?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #26
Sid

Wisconsin
HmmmClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1438656131.434135.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	87411

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #27

LOL
Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #28

New Jersey
Registry
Ken I am not seeing your images (3)

Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #29

Have to be logged in on my end. Im on a desktop. You ever Hear from harry or keep in touch? He sure was an interesting guy. Wondered what he went to after your trailer. Or into some other hobby, maybe back to sailing.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #30

New Jersey
Registry
never really kept in touch, so not really sure.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #31

Name: BillC
Trailer: Parkliner; 2013 Honda Ridgeline
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If it were mine I would take the hinge apart and wire brush everything. I would replace the washers with 316 series stainless steel washers. I would repaint the hinges with quality paint. Before reassembling the hinges I would spray everything with BIOSHIELD T9. I use this on my salt water boat motor and its really good stuff.keeps all external corrosion at bay. I would respray those hinges again every few months just because replacing might be impossible in the future.

Why Boeshield | Boeshield T-9®
This really sounds like a prudent option. A thorough cleaning, repainting and stainless washers sprayed by Boeshield T-9 with periodic re spraying thereafter should work. We have had boats in salt water for many years and lived aboard and cruised the Atlantic coast for several years. Boeshield T-9 was the best anti-corrosive we found.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #32

Name: Robert
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
It was related to me during my visit to the previous Parkliner "factory" that the U-joints used in the hinges are actually socket wrench u-joints so a replacement may not be quite so difficult. Go to Sears and get a couple! See if a local machinist can remove the old ones and install the new ones.
rdcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #33

Actually it was mentioned earlier that one was marked "Kobalt 377347" which is a Home Depot tool trade name. See Posts 15 & 22.

Actually that fix would only result in the problem coming back again because welding a new u-joint in place will burn off the plating. What's needed here are a some stainless steel components, at least at the flex pivot points.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #34

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Has anyone ever seen a flexible socket used as a door hinge on anything else ever??? If not, I guess one could call it innovative, or it could just be a quick and easy way to hang a door without having to worry about accurate hinge alignment in the short term, at least until components start rusting. Interesting concept, curious motives....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #35
Sid

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Actually it was mentioned earlier that one was marked "Kobalt 377347" which is a Home Depot tool trade name. See Posts 15 & 22.

Actually that fix would only result in the problem coming back again because welding a new u-joint in place will burn off the plating. What's needed here are a some stainless steel components, at least at the flex pivot points.
Bob,
I may be mistaken but from the looks of mine no welding would be necessary if you reused the cross pins.
Sid
Old 08-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Bob,
I may be mistaken but from the looks of mine no welding would be necessary if you reused the cross pins.
Sid
Yep, I think that it was an earlier suggestion to get new pivot blocks made of stainless steel and put them in with stainless steel roll pins. And be sure to get all of the existing rust out of the original welds etc. Ordinary tool steel will rust from exposure to the elements.

if you can't get rid of what's rusting it will return, it's the nature of the beast.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Has anyone ever seen a flexible socket used as a door hinge on anything else ever??? If not, I guess one could call it innovative, or it could just be a quick and easy way to hang a door without having to worry about accurate hinge alignment in the short term, at least until components start rusting. Interesting concept, curious motives....
Look at how doors on commercial aircraft swing closed. I have seen several variations on the U-Joint hinge in that application. I will check out the 737 and the Dash-8 doors next week and report back

Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #38

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Look at how doors on commercial aircraft swing closed. I have seen several variations on the U-Joint hinge in that application. I will check out the 737 and the Dash-8 doors next week and report back
I never noticed! Perhaps Parkliner simply borrowed the concept from the aircraft industry. Who'da thunk it.....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #39

Name: BillC
Trailer: Parkliner; 2013 Honda Ridgeline
North Carolina
Parkliner door hinges

Thanks, Frank.
That is very useful information. Washer replacement and regular treatment with Boeshield will hopefully keep the rust at bay.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #40

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Amazon carries it, in case you don't find it locally, Bill. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?redirect=true

My hinges are just starting to rust at the top. Have ordered some of the lubricant. Note that the rust removal t-9 will "dull paint" per one of the Amazon Q&As.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner