Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Is there some sort of instant notifier that goes out if a trailer brand is mentioned somewhere?
Essentially yes, it's called a Google search for the company name once a day or so, restricted to this forum and looking at only the newest matches. I doubt any of manufacturers does this, but essentially the same thing is normal operating practice in major corporations. It is available as a commercial service, serving as essentially the modern version of a press clipping service.

Now, back to the tire-rubbing Parkliner...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
One question, on these kind of trailers, is there any horizontal flex that might occur (as opposed to the north/south flex I would expect to occur with any suspension system)?
Yes. In addition to the intended vertical travel, any suspension allows some degree of lateral movement (horizontally, sideways...) due to deflection of bushings or springs. In the case of the "rubber torsion" suspensions, the arm which carries the hub and pivots for vertical travel is mounted in rubber, and could change angle slightly... but it's tightly packed in some hard rubber, so it shouldn't be enough to be a problem. Each arm will shift independently, as they are not connected to each other, only to the structural mounting tube.

If "streetside" in this case means the driver's side or left side, so the left tire is rubbing the outer sidewall and the right tire is rubbing the inner sidewall, then I agree with Floyd - it sounds like an off-centre axle mounting (or frame, or body, depending on your frame of reference).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #23

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes. In addition to the intended vertical travel, any suspension allows some degree of lateral movement (horizontally, sideways...) due to deflection of bushings or springs. In the case of the "rubber torsion" suspensions, the arm which carries the hub and pivots for vertical travel is mounted in rubber, and could change angle slightly... but it's tightly packed in some hard rubber, so it shouldn't be enough to be a problem. Each arm will shift independently, as they are not connected to each other, only to the structural mounting tube.

If "streetside" in this case means the driver's side or left side, so the left tire is rubbing the outer sidewall and the right tire is rubbing the inner sidewall, then I agree with Floyd - it sounds like an off-centre axle mounting (or frame, or body, depending on your frame of reference).
That is great information. When I talk with Parkliner I will definitely feel more informed, which is never a bad thing!

Do you know if that is something that can be easily fixed? Is an axle welded on or is it attached with bolts? I guess I am really asking is if that does turn out to be the problem, can it be adjusted without a major redo?

Thank you!!
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #24

Alabama
Those emails worked! I received a response and am now trading emails with Chandler.

I am still asking for any other opinions/feedback anyone has...I would like to have as much information as possible so I can talk from an informed perspective with Parkliner. You all have already been helpful.

Hopefully this is something I can fix easily myself!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
A response within five hours of your first attempt to reach them! I call that stellar- especially on a busy Monday.

Keep us posted!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #26

Alabama
Quote:
A response within five hours of your first attempt to reach them! I call that stellar- especially on a busy Monday.

Keep us posted!

Francesca
Agreed! This forum is such a great resource for getting information like the contact emails and details on the axles.

Hopefully I will be able to attend one of the gatherings and meet some of these people that are helping me.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #27

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
just as an FYI, my #035 has rub marks on the outside of both wells. Would not have really noticed but looked carefully after reading this thread. Will be interested in discovering what Chandler recommends. Obviously a trip to the "Factory" is not an option for me! BUT it will be taken care of in some fashion. I have faith in Chandler and his design and follow through. He has a lot of personal pride in these trailers and only wants the best for his customers.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #28

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
just as an FYI, my #035 has rub marks on the outside of both wells. Would not have really noticed but looked carefully after reading this thread. Will be interested in discovering what Chandler recommends. Obviously a trip to the "Factory" is not an option for me! BUT it will be taken care of in some fashion. I have faith in Chandler and his design and follow through. He has a lot of personal pride in these trailers and only wants the best for his customers.

Thom
Thom,

Thanks for checking your trailer and I will be sure to keep you posted. I have emailed Chandler pictures and I'm waiting to hear back.

I agree, I have faith he will take care of it...it was just a matter of getting over the initial hurdle of getting his attention.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #29

Astoria Oregon
Registry
I emailed Cameron this image last nite and i did mention this thread as an FYI. I've also mentioned to them they should check in at least every other day to see what is going on in the growing online Parkliner community.
Attached Thumbnails
TireRubAgainstInnerWheelWell_Lester-035build.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #30

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Cari & I spent last weekend at an Oregon gathering of fellow Eggers. Yes the Parkliner was the _highlight_ of rigs being the only one in the state/event.

On tire rubbing... I sure wish Chandler had gone the route of the Casita with the big 15" wheels and the raised-off-road capable design. They certainly look ready for anything the road (or forestry road) would through at them!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #31

Alabama
Quote:
I emailed Cameron this image last nite and i did mention this thread as an FYI. I've also mentioned to them they should check in at least every other day to see what is going on in the growing online Parkliner community.
My fender looks almost identical. I will try to attach a picture also.

It is good they know I'm not the only one experiencing the problem, so thanks for sending them the email!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #32

Alabama
A picture of one side of the fender. It is difficult to get a picture due to the angles.
Attached Thumbnails
012.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #33

Alabama
Quote:
Cari & I spent last weekend at an Oregon gathering of fellow Eggers. Yes the Parkliner was the _highlight_ of rigs being the only one in the state/event.

On tire rubbing... I sure wish Chandler had gone the route of the Casita with the big 15" wheels and the raised-off-road capable design. They certainly look ready for anything the road (or forestry road) would through at them!
Me too. I don't know how much work/cost it would be, but if the lower part of the fenders were cut out (and re-worked to look finished) it looks like a 15" wheel would fit if it was also raised at the same time. If that were possible for a reasonable price, I would definitely consider it. An "off-road" Parkliner is almost too good to even ponder!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Hey, Thom!

Is that tire "stock" from Parkliner? Maybe it's the angle of the shot, but the tread looks more luggy than I'd expect to see on a trailer tire.

Francesca
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #35

Alabama
For reference...

Tire: HI-RUN L0229 ST205 75/D14 (for trailer use only)
Rim: 14X602/12 DOT MAX LOAD 1870 LBS CHINA SZ EW
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
For reference...

Tire: HI-RUN L0229 ST205 75/D14 (for trailer use only)
Rim: 14X602/12 DOT MAX LOAD 1870 LBS CHINA SZ EW
Is it possible that the tire's too wide for the well? A 205 tire is a hair over eight inches wide.

I don't know how deep the wheel well on the Parkliner is, but on my Trillium it's eight and a half inches. Not enough depth there to accommodate any sidewall flexing that might occur with a 205, even with an ST with its stiffer sidewalls.

Mine are 175 width tires...

Francesca
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #37

Alabama
Quote:
Is it possible that the tire's too wide for the well? A 205 tire is a hair over eight inches wide.

I don't know how deep the wheel well on the Parkliner is, but on my Trillium it's eight and a half inches. Not enough depth there to accommodate any sidewall flexing that might occur with a 205, even with an ST with its stiffer sidewalls.

Mine are 175 width tires...

Francesca
I am hoping it is something like that. Or perhaps they are using a newer rim that has a different offset, moving the tire further out from the trailer and more towards the fender? Those are both super easy fixes.

Hopefully someone with a non-rubbing Parkliner will report back the rim/tire details to see if something has recently changed.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #38

Registry
I'm confused as to the word "fender"- is that on the streetside of the wheelwell? When I look at Parkliner pics that side just looks open to me.

The picture that Thom posted (post #29) looks to me like it's of the inside vertical surface of the well- the trailer body side.

Are your rub marks in a different location?

Francesca
Old 04-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would have have hoped that Parkliner would have responded by now to this problem, have you also posted your issue on the Facebook page, might have better luck there getting a response.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #40

Registry
Parkliner did respond to O.P. Mark, within five hours of his first attempt to reach them!

Post number 24, 4:22 p.m. yesterday:

Quote:
Those emails worked! I received a response and am now trading emails with Chandler.

Tags
parkliner