ParkLiner waste water leak - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #41

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Sadly always something....well reinforce it well with the fiberglass cloth like steve suggested and support that area with metal strapping so it wont wiggle around and loosen up. Best of Luck!
I'm sure we both have the same strapping Deryk. Mine did not hold the drain pipe tight against the body. Does yours?

I have a plan for this repair forming in my head. I'll keep y'all posted. More cleaning to do, and inside fittings replacement or modification.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Frank; Is it possible to install a mission coupling between the tank and the waste piping to lessen the transfer of stress and vibration to the tank
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #43

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Frank; Is it possible to install a mission coupling between the tank and the waste piping to lessen the transfer of stress and vibration to the tank
That's the way it should have been built probably. The thickness of the material around that seam and in the specific vicinity of the crack is very thin. I believe the stuff I have coming will deal with it, essentially chemically welding the crack area, and I will add strength while repairing it.

Should the 3" drain stuff be solidly anchored? The strap that held the piping up had about a 1/2" gap from the body of the trailer. Should it? Or should it be tight?

Thanks folks. More to come.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #44

NW Wisconsin
Plumbing is seldom anchored / strapped tightly to a structure. It is normally supported to allow for expansion from temperature changes . I have been in homes where the waste / vent piping is installed tight to a structural member or ran through too small of a drilled hole and you can hear the noise from the pipe moving / rubbing when it is expands.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #45

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
How about tight with a cushion around it like that pipe insulation foam. Or full circle clamp type hangers that support it but not so that it is tight to the floor. Didn't this just have a loop of that perforated strap stuff, if so a poor installation in my opinion but quick for production purposes.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #46

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well then...lets see some pics of other peoples then!...How is yours supported Bob?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #47

New York
Well I don't have a Parkliner but I do have a Uhaul and a Casita 17. And just to be clear the two Parkliners we have seen were really nice looking campers and we liked them but it seems that some shortcuts in assembly have resulted in problems. This is what I use to secure plumbing, wiring, and hoses in vehicles and trailers. Also used these when I worked in home heating repair and installation.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0327.jpg   IMG_0328.jpg  

Old 10-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #48

New Jersey
Registry
Bob, what I meant was lets see a pic of what is used by your manuf's to support the drain. This way we all can get ideas of what other companies are using to better support it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #49

New York
I got what you meant Deryk, problem is we just bought the Casita this week and haven't brought it home yet so have no idea how they did it. Waiting to get my new to me truck too so we can go get the Casita. Stuck those pics on just to show some options for supporting things. Feel bad for Frank, we have camped with him and Gail and they are really nice folks. Seems like every problem imaginable has happened to him. Lets hope this one is the last so they can enjoy their trailer.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #50

New York
Bob, you can borrow my F150 if ya need it. It's just sitting around, as I bought a new-to-me 2011 Fiesta a few weeks ago that gets 40mpg! F150 is set up to tow too, just fill it with gas when you're done.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #51

New Jersey
Registry
And I just checked, mine is supported by the metal strapping with about a quarter to half an inch of play in it....guess I will put some foam in there to help reduce flex without it being too rigid.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #52

New York
I think that is a great idea Deryk. What kind of foam could we use that would bear up under the elements?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #53

New Jersey
Registry
I have some white closed cell packing foam I got from work (was in a box with netbooks. Its about a half inch thick. I need to pick up a can of spray adhesive for another unrelated project ( I sewed myself a jedi robe for Halloween and a friend wants me to make 2 for him for a sci-fi convention...want to make a more durable pattern so going to glue the thin pattern paper onto heavy brown paper bags) maybe spray the back of the foam and slide it under the strapping. Should help and if it works its way out I have more of the foam.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #54
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post

Next step is sanding it till all I have is black to work with. I had to be real careful getting the epoxy off so as not to make a bad situation worse! So I'll pick up some acetone this weekend, and have ordered the ABS glue I need. This baby will be sealed and solid as a rock when I'm done.

Frank
Frank!
According to the Plastics Design Libary ABS has one of the worst resistance to acetone! The PDL rateing ranges from 0 to at best a 2! Meaning it will stress crack or even dissolve depending on the concentration.
You may want to try it on a scrap piece before you wipe down an area that already has stress cracks present.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #55

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Frank!
According to the Plastics Design Libary ABS has one of the worst resistance to acetone! The PDL rateing ranges from 0 to at best a 2! Meaning it will stress crack or even dissolve depending on the concentration.
You may want to try it on a scrap piece before you wipe down an area that already has stress cracks present.
Sid
Sid, I didn't suggest I was wiping the tank with acetone. I'm sanding it before applying the glue. The stuff I'm getting mixes with acetone to make the glue before application to ABS. I assume these folks know more about this than I do...

Holding Tank Adhesive 1 lb Black
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #56
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Sorry for the misread Frank. I was sitting on a plane in Amsterdam when I wrote that and sent it today.
Conditions weren't the best for studying past postings, I just didn't want you to incure more issues.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #57

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Sorry for the misread Frank. I was sitting on a plane in Amsterdam when I wrote that and sent it today.
Conditions weren't the best for studying past postings, I just didn't want you to insure more issues.
Sid
Thanks Sid, much appreciated. I hope you're having (or had) fun abroad.

I've done plenty of fiberglass stuff and will be incorporating some of that in this repair. My goal is to insure I don't have more issues, but I'm just a DIY kind of guy. Hopefully I'll muddle through.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #58

Name: Eric and Sharon
Trailer: Burro
Ohio
Registry
Hi Frank.
Sorry I was so slow getting back to you. This link to youtube.com tells all. Hope this works for you. How to Remove Glued PVC pipe.. - YouTube
Eric Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #59

NW Wisconsin
supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I got what you meant Deryk, problem is we just bought the Casita this week and haven't brought it home yet so have no idea how they did it. Waiting to get my new to me truck too so we can go get the Casita. Stuck those pics on just to show some options for supporting things. Feel bad for Frank, we have camped with him and Gail and they are really nice folks. Seems like every problem imaginable has happened to him. Lets hope this one is the last so they can enjoy their trailer.
Casita uses mineralacs supported by threaded rod. The pipe hangs below the trailer frame
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #60

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
Hi Frank.
Sorry I was so slow getting back to you. This link to youtube.com tells all. Hope this works for you. How to Remove Glued PVC pipe.. - YouTube
That's an interesting video Eric, thanks! I wonder if it would work with ABS? My fittings are on the outside of the pipe and look integral to what they are mounted to, i.e. no discernible joint.

Actually I have yet to even get to that point. I need to winterize the trailer tomorrow, and when I do need to figure out what, if anything, needs to be replaced inside. Certainly more work is necessary to get the tank back in and hooked up. I can think of things I'd rather be doing, but can't afford to hire it out.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner