Patching a large hole in my Boler - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #1

Name: Niall
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Patching a large hole in my Boler

Hi guys,

I want to fill in a large hole in the side of my boler that was left after removing the vent from a heater. I want the filled area to be seamless with the surrounding area for painting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_190154.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	140707
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_190202.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	140708
I have come across various technique online, but wanted to run it by you knowledgeable folks!
My idea is to provide a non stick backing on the inside of the hole, using ply and non stick paper. Then fill the space with long hair fiberglass filler, let it set and sand it down. Finally, coat the top in some sort of autobody filler to smoothen everything out, and sand it down to a nice finish.
Is this the right route to go do you think?
Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks guys
Niall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:38 AM   #2

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
I think it would be best to find something like an old Fiberglass truck canopy. Cut a piece out to fit the hole. Then just grind back the edges inside and out glasing both sides grind and fill to contour.
Starting at post 187 in this thread https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ler-55601.html will give an idea of how it would work.
Fred
Old 05-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A good thread on the subject is here:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I think it would be best to find something like an old Fiberglass truck canopy. Cut a piece out to fit the hole. Then just grind back the edges inside and out glasing both sides grind and fill to contour.
Starting at post 187 in this thread https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ler-55601.html will give an idea of how it would work.
Fred
Fred, just an FYI, if you click on the posting number in the title bar of the posting, it changes the address in your browser to the address of that particular posting, which you can copy and paste. In this case the address of post 187 in the referenced thread is:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post666043

Now, when someone clicks on that link, it will take them to post 187 in your thread. Which I would like to say is full of valuable information.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
A good thread on the subject is here:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html
Yes it is!
Fred
Old 05-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #6

Name: Mark
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber
Hilton Beach
Hole repair

I just did exa tly the same thing on a beachcomber trailer. Here is what i did on the advice of a 35 year fiberglass veteran.
- do the repair fromthe inside uaing polyester resin, gel coat and 1-1/2 oz fg mat. Do not use epoxy.
- grind a bevel on the inside perimeter of the hole using the 1:12 rule. (Bevel width sbould be 12 times the thickness of the wall, so fpr 1/8wall,bevel back 1-1/2 inches.)
- cut three pieces of mat. One exactly the size of the hole, one 1 inch wider and higher than the hole and one 2 inch wider and higher than the hole.
Place a piece of non atick backing on the OUTSIDE. i used sheet alum like a siding installer would use. Cut the allum 1 inch wider and taller than hole. Prep it by applying at least 3 coats of paste wax, polishing in between coats. I used Minwax wood polish and it worked great.
- apply alum to outside, centred over hole and tape all around perimeter with red tuck tape wax side in of course
-apply a generous coat of get coat on the alum from the inside, allow to cure overnight.
- apply a generous coat of resin to repair area then first (SMALLEST) piece of mat. Pounce the area with your brush all over to remove any air bubbles. Apply more resin then the next piece of mat, pounce. Repeat with third(LARGEST) piece of mat.
- cure overnight.
-Next day remove alum sheet.
- the surfac
e ahould be pretty darn good. Apply filler and sand as necessary to prep for paint.
- i reaired several holes using this method and it worked like a dream.
Good luck.
The Cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton boler 1700 RGH
Ontario
Registry
The year and model would help. Example 1700, 1750, RG or SG rear or side gaucho. Think you said prior 1970 and looks like side gaucho by holes?

Have patched furnace exit hole to replace old furnace with new one. Used cut out for new furnace and fiberglass with colour match gelcoat on top to fit new intake and exhaust. Side wall curve ment cutout shape was not exact kept peice in a little and used gelcoat to improve shape.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:42 AM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cac View Post
I just did exa tly the same thing on a beachcomber trailer. Here is what i did on the advice of a 35 year fiberglass veteran.
- do the repair fromthe inside uaing polyester resin, gel coat and 1-1/2 oz fg mat. Do not use epoxy.
- grind a bevel on the inside perimeter of the hole using the 1:12 rule. (Bevel width sbould be 12 times the thickness of the wall, so fpr 1/8wall,bevel back 1-1/2 inches.)
- cut three pieces of mat. One exactly the size of the hole, one 1 inch wider and higher than the hole and one 2 inch wider and higher than the hole.
Place a piece of non atick backing on the OUTSIDE. i used sheet alum like a siding installer would use. Cut the allum 1 inch wider and taller than hole. Prep it by applying at least 3 coats of paste wax, polishing in between coats. I used Minwax wood polish and it worked great.
- apply alum to outside, centred over hole and tape all around perimeter with red tuck tape wax side in of course
-apply a generous coat of get coat on the alum from the inside, allow to cure overnight.
- apply a generous coat of resin to repair area then first (SMALLEST) piece of mat. Pounce the area with your brush all over to remove any air bubbles. Apply more resin then the next piece of mat, pounce. Repeat with third(LARGEST) piece of mat.
- cure overnight.
-Next day remove alum sheet.
- the surfac
e ahould be pretty darn good. Apply filler and sand as necessary to prep for paint.
- i reaired several holes using this method and it worked like a dream.
Good luck.

From experience I can tell you this method will save you some time and effort. Especially since the areas you are working with curve inward. If you are painting the entire exterior you could save a little money and time and instead of gel coat you can just apply a couple layers of polyester resin and let it set up for a hour then continue applying the fiberglass. Gel coat is polyester resin with pigment.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #9

Name: Josh
Trailer: 74, 13' Boler
Alberta
All great advice above. The massive thread David linked to is the best one here. If you find fiberglass patches in a bulk size you can save time by glassing one into the hole, but laying your own CSM in by hand isn't the end of the world.

I patched a small hole in my door quite successfully by covering a piece of cardboard in tuck tape (the red stuff used a a vapour barrier adhesive in house construction), and then taping the cardboard over the hole as backing to lay the glass against. When I peeled the cardboard off it had set up beautifully, but with my poor technique there was a groove between the new glass and the old door on the side the patch had been on. I filled it with Duraglas which is a thickened fiberglass patching product and it came out perfect.
Josh Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton boler 1700 RGH
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
Gel coat is polyester resin with pigment.
Great info for future repairs!

Tags
boler