"Peel-n-Stick" products in a Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Name: Rose and Jayson
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13'
British Columbia
"Peel-n-Stick" products in a Boler

Hi All, first-time posters here...

Has anyone used peel-and-stick tiles directly onto ensolite?
We would like to tile the kitchen-area wall of our '76 Boler with this product, and don't know if it will stay put on the elephant skin.... Peel and Stick Backsplash | Idaho | Smart Tiles

Also, we are planning on covering the original floor (in quite good shape) with peel-and-stick vinyl planks for a wood-grain look. Does anyone know if the original boler floors are too textured to maintain proper contact with this product? I've seen instructions for plywood, but not for our fiberglass flooring. https://www.lowes.ca/vinyl-flooring/..._g1463068.html

Thanks for helping out a couple newbies!
RoseandtheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

Name: Allison
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
I am curious about this too! I also need to scrape the table and cupboards to remove the old wood grain plastic stuff that's peeling off and replace it with something durable and attractive.
Elliejune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseandtheDoctor View Post
Hi All, first-time posters here...

Has anyone used peel-and-stick tiles directly onto ensolite?
We would like to tile the kitchen-area wall of our '76 Boler with this product, and don't know if it will stay put on the elephant skin.... Peel and Stick Backsplash | Idaho | Smart Tiles

Also, we are planning on covering the original floor (in quite good shape) with peel-and-stick vinyl planks for a wood-grain look. Does anyone know if the original boler floors are too textured to maintain proper contact with this product? I've seen instructions for plywood, but not for our fiberglass flooring. https://www.lowes.ca/vinyl-flooring/..._g1463068.html

Thanks for helping out a couple newbies!
can't see having much luck sticking right to the Ensolite without putting some sort of backer first and you may have difficulty removing them if they don't look right and I would avoid using a stick on or glue on floor and opt for some type of floating floor such as allure or something simular.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
If the surface being stuck to is clean and the peal-and-stick adhesive will hold to the ensolite, you MAY be ok. I personally would not expect good results (but that's just me)

The fiberglass floor texture is fairly aggressive so the adhesive is only going to have contact with about 50% of the floor, unless the peal-and-stick adhesive is fairly thick and can compress to reach the bottom of the textured floor in your Boler, it may or may not work well enough. Again, the floor surface must be very clean including the crevices between the textured high spots.

I say pick a spot under the main table, out of normal view and give it a test. Worst case, it won't hold, best case it will. You won't know until you try.

If contact cement is compatible with the peel-and-stick adhesives, you may be able to augment the system and improve stick ability. But again, do a test before committing.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's not just "will it stick", it's will it stick to a vertical surface when the trailer is locked up and the summer heat reaches 90F?
And, when it comes to the floor, Allure does not recommend their product for use in RVs and summer cabins.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #6

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
Your only going to know if you try.

Again, test it under the dining table (on the ensolite and on the floor).

Boldly go where no Boler has gone before...
Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
"Peel-n-Stick" products in a Boler

I've put in Allure flooring in both my Surfside and now the Biggar, no problems with it.
I've also put in the peel and stick tiles but my Biggar doesn't have Ensolite. I have a fiberglass
panel behind my sink and just stuck it to that. My advise would be to put up very thin
paneling first, then stick your tiles to that.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-11-2016, 02:53 AM   #8

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1457686336.672200.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	93243Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1457686403.137358.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	93244

Old 03-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
People have used all kinds of things to protect the areas behind the sink and stove. Real tile (flexible caulk) tin ceiling materials (both metal and plastic), stainless steel panels, etc. As some have said, you won't know until you try.

As far as the floor, there's so little space you need to protect (in the grand scheme of things). Joy A. has put down a single sheet of linoleum right over the carpet. It's not anchored down... think "floating" and has had zero problems with curling, etc. You can purchase a remnant piece dang cheap. It's easily cut with scissors (or lino knife). Use newspaper, cardboard, etc. to create a pattern of the floor. Easy peasy! The nice part is if you get tired of the pattern it's easily replaced.

With Allure, you just need to be very careful of moisture. So if you camp in the rain, have children or dogs... think wet feet/paws.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #10

Name: Rose and Jayson
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13'
British Columbia
Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Looks like it's time now to start testing things out....
RoseandtheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliejune View Post
I am curious about this too! I also need to scrape the table and cupboards to remove the old wood grain plastic stuff that's peeling off and replace it with something durable and attractive.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1457706316.588268.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	93245

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1457706346.089239.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	93246
Made a new table from 3/4 ply and trimmed it with oak. Some wood stain and several coatings of marine varnish and we now use it outside as the bed is now permanent.
Jim

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #12

Registry
Donna, the reason I put Allure down is because I have a dog with wet paws. Lol
It's made of vinyl and sticks together, very durable for a pet. I have it in my house
and if water spills on it, no problem.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinab View Post
Donna, the reason I put Allure down is because I have a dog with wet paws. Lol
It's made of vinyl and sticks together, very durable for a pet. I have it in my house
and if water spills on it, no problem.

I don't know what I was thinking! Obviously I was not...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
There is a whole slew of new waterproof click plank flooring at all the major home centres for between 2-4 dollars a sq foot that is extremely durable and well suited for trailers . After 2 floods in my basement and having to completely replace the laminate floors I've replaced them with vinyle click flooring and couldn't be more pleased to how they look and stand up to water and wear.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #15

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinab View Post
Attachment 93243Attachment 93244

What was the backer you use and was there elephant skin/ensolite on the wall?
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I used 1/8th inch plywood and glued arborite (formica, wilsonart) to it. Then I stuck the peel and stick to the arborite for the backsplash. I also glued arborite to the countertop and tabletop. Then I added aluminum transition strip fir a retro look.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180824_173448.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	124130Click image for larger version

Name:	20180824_174411.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	124131
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #17

Name: Julie
Trailer: trail mite
Washington
Hi,
Newbie here, did you glue the 1/8 plywood to the fiberglass, then the arborite?

Also, Donna mentioned putting linoleum right over the carpeting. I have very thin carpeting and wondering the cons of putting flooring right on top. Sure would be easier

thanks!
Julie
jbenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkovich View Post
Hi,
Newbie here, did you glue the 1/8 plywood to the fiberglass, then the arborite?

Also, Donna mentioned putting linoleum right over the carpeting. I have very thin carpeting and wondering the cons of putting flooring right on top. Sure would be easier

thanks!
Julie
The arborite is glued to the plywood then the peel and stick to the arborite. It was all set in place, tucked under the top cabinet gap and set on top of the cabinet frame. The countertop was installed afterwards.

I would remove the carpet for the mew flooring. Carpet tends to hold water if it gets wet. More so if its under laminate. Also will the lower cabinet doors be able to open with the new flooring and carpet combined.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseandtheDoctor View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Looks like it's time now to start testing things out....

Hello, I am doing exactly the same thing to my 76 boler. Research I have done indicates the tiles would not stick as the surface is not smooth. You need a smooth surface such as arborite, smooth acrylic, painted plywood. I am choosing arborite as it is thin and I was able to buy a

2 x 4 off cut for $5.

My issue is what adhesive to use to attach it to the ensolite, and would I need to secure it in another way as well. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I used 1/8th inch plywood and glued arborite (formica, wilsonart) to it. Then I stuck the peel and stick to the arborite for the backsplash. I also glued arborite to the countertop and tabletop. Then I added aluminum transition strip fir a retro look.Attachment 124130Attachment 124131

How did you attach the plywood to the wall?

Tags
boler